All Hallows' Eve

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scryler, Oct 29, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

The moon is getting close to full and so is All Hallows' Eve.

Be interesting to hear what forum members are going to do
    for Halloween. Any of you out there go all out and decorate
    your yards and porches and houses? Do you dress up? If
    so, what as?

I imagine those with children have things they do, also. What
    are those?

I would like to hear about all that, if anyone is willing to post
    about it.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Just pumpkins and cider for me. Trick-or-treating seems to be on the decline these days. I have seen some rather impressive total-yard decorations though, particulary out in the rural areas. Those take on something of a dire and surreal aspect late at night, as opposed to the more frivolous feel they have during the day.

3. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Ahhh... A Saturday Halloween! Those are the best!

I'm taking N and his friends trick-or-treating twice. On Saturday Halloween you get to go twice, it's in the rules! You just hit two different areas and different times. (No need to change costumes like we did as kids! :evil:)

Then, after they're all sugared up, the older ones get to watch the original "Night of the Living Dead." J and I decided it would be best not to let N's friend, C, watch it. C's only seven and it'll probably be too much for him. Don't want to ruin C's Mom's night with a terrified child!

Appears that the weather'll hold as well. No rain, but cool and windy. Not the best weather for a Saturday Trick-or-Treat, but still doable. No illnesses reported among the boys, so that's a plus!

J and I will just be enjoying the whole day with them!

4. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

I'm celebratign my birthday WORKING

5. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Tonight (Friday), I'm going to go GA'ing in the Heights where there have been 17 arsons since August. We probably won't have any effect on that. But hopefully we'll keep the goblins under control and help a few people who've had too much candy.

For Halloween, I'm going to do what somebody else has planned. I don't care, just as long as it involves monkey wrestling. ;)

6. Ergonpandilus

Ergonpandilus the Avatar

Well, we europeans celebrate the All Saints' Day rather than Halloween. We honor those who have departed by bringing flowers to the grave or by lighting a candle.

[​IMG]
    But here in Finland we have the winter coming already, so we don't usually bring flowers, but instead we light candles on the graves of our past friends and relatives. It's really a beautiful sight in a dark night to see a whole cemetery full of flickering candles.

[​IMG]
    Oddly enough, Easter here in Finland is then basically same as Halloween. Young girls dress themselves as witches and they go from door to door carrying decorated willow branches. When you open the door, they will wave the willow branch and read "magic spell" that should bring you a good fortune. And when you get the branch you are suppose to give them candy or some coins. And we also burn bonefires in some parts of Finland to make the "evil spirits" go away. :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2009
  7. maalri

maalri Immortal

VERY Interesting Ergo!

I went to a Haunted Hayride/Carnival last night with my wife and youngest girl (6). She was a Mermaid (with sneakers! LOL :) )

Sadly, there isn't much at all being done at my place tonight, well that is OUTside the house anyway. It IS date night for the wife and me though, no kids!

8. MonkeyLancer

MonkeyLancer Member

I'll be going to Howl O'Weiner which has a intended attentance of 50 dachshunds in costume, including my own. Hopefully, I'll have alot of pictures by this evening if anyone is curious to see them. Afterwards, I'll be going to a Halloween party, where my girlfriend is dressing as Raggedy-Ann and I'm not sure what I'll be dressing as yet.. I'm thinking I'll be much more retarded i'm sure.

9. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

We are hiding.
    In England there are traditional halloween celebrations.
    But there is no real traditon for handing out candy to trick or treaters so usually a big gang of youffs shows up banging on your door demanding money.

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yvy celebrates All Saint's Day up in Malaysia - a trip to the graveyard to visit the relatives. Here in Oz Halloween is an uncertainty: shops promote it but the public ignore it and the media are uncertain what to do, other than run polls saying, "should we celebrate Halloween?" I am not in favour of it - it means nothing to Australians - but we could sure use something to break up the long run into Christmas, because every year shops push Christmas stuff earlier and earlier. There's been Christmas stuff in the shops here now for weeks, and its just offensive.

11. MonkeyLancer

MonkeyLancer Member

I understand how primarily North American Halloween is, but what turns you off of it? It certainly isn't more commercial then Christmas is.

12. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

Here in the US, Christmas stuff is in the stores earlier and earlier as
    well. Doesn't seem to matter that there are 2 major holidays here
    before Christmas...Halloween and Thanksgiving...they still do it.

This year, I have seen Christmas stuff in early October. Only thing
    I can think is that the year for sales has been so bad that they (whoever they is) want the Christmas buyers earlier.

13. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Yep Chrisrtmas shoppping starts in October here.
    The big night is Nov. 5th in England. Bonfires torchlight processions and masses of Fireworks. It usally corresponds with Diwalli which means about a week of constant firework displays , and fog composed of bonfire smoke and gunpowder exhaust.
    I find it doesn't really feel like Christmas until New Years Day, then the Easter things appear in the stores.

14. maalri

maalri Immortal

My daughter adores Dachshunds... I would love to see the pics on here so I could show her. She's 6 and that will be her next pet (she currently has 4 Betas).

15. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Halloween went off without a hitch here, with the boys, without much issues, weather-wise. Cold and windy for round one, just cold for round two. J came out for the night-time, 2nd round. I was out with N's friend C's Mom, for the first time. C's Mom came along fgr the 2nd round too, mostly because C is in his laye 7's and is still pretty scared of things. Puts on a pretty good brave/angry front too, to hide it.

Had some fun with all the boys @ the night-time run, wearing N's werewolf mask. (Very realistic and scary looking!) Funny how the boys can scream as shrilly as girls when frightened.

And now Christmas. Scry stated she saw Christmas tuff in early October, here the Macy's at Woodfield Mall had their stuff up in the last week of September. Stopped at the mall today for B-day shopping for the ex and Santa's area is all built. The Big Guy arrives on 11/6. The earliness of this stuff gets more ridiculous every year!

Our Host!