Monsters attacking unconcious/dying targets

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Livonya, Apr 7, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

After doing some research I don't actually think most AI scripts should be causing monsters to attack unconcious/dying targets.

So here is what I need to know.

1) Name of creature that attacked unconcious/dying target

2) Distance from creature to next alive enemy target

I need as much of this information as possible.

Everytime you see a Monster/NPC attack an unconcious or dying target then please write down the monsters name and the distance to next available target and post that here.

I will use that info to research which AI scripts are doing this and which ones are not doing that.

That will really help me out.

thanks.

- Livonya

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Moathouse.

Gnoll - melee attack on unconscious character. Distance to next nearest character - c. 10 - 15 feet.

Emridy field.

Skeleton (longspear wielding) - melee attack on unconscious character. Distance to next nearest character - 3 within AoO range.

Skeleton (crossbow) - ranged attack on unconscious character (!). Distance to next nearest character - at least 2 within similar range of c. 25 feet (although engaged in melee combat), 1 c.5 feet further away attempting healing on unconscious character.

3. Livonya

Zebedee -

Awesome. Thanks. That is the exact sort of information that I need.

Thanks.

- Livonya

4. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Moathouse-

Several gnolls continued attacking unconcious characters. In case of one, the closest targets were adjacent to him, as they were both up in his face hitting him. Another gnoll had an adjacent target, but favored attacking an unconcious foe. Third gnoll was 20 feet from nearest target while striking unconcious foe.

5. Longarms

Longarms Member

I like playing in ironmade mode in the troika version. I better switch to normal mode in Liv's mod!!!

The only thing that makes ironman mode bearable is that monsters leave an unconciscious character alone. If monsters changed in Liv's mod to go after unconscious characters, then I think I will not be able to play ironman in Liv's mod.

Way too many deaths I think. In iron mode, when you here one of your characters make their death scream, it is very very bad news.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  6. Livonya

Longarms -

I am pretty sure that only a small percentage of monsters/NPCs will target dying/unconcious creatures.

[EDIT: I am incorrect. In this version pretty much all monsters/NPCs will target dying/unconcious creatures. I will fix it soon]

So it might not be as bad as it sounds. And some of the Troike AI scripts would already do this, which is how I got the idea to do it myself.

I am waiting to see if anyone actually sees this happen with some of my other AI scripts, but so far this targeting action is limited to a very small range of my AI scripts.

- Livonya

7. Livonya

Yes, I can change it

I spent a few hours tonight working on it. Figuring out my options and what was causing what.

Yes, I can indeed change it so that the average NPC/Monster will not attack dying/unconcious targets.

That will be no problem to fix.

The more I think about it I can understand that most monsters/NPCs should not target the dying/unconcious.

So I will revise it and release a changed version.

When I change it I will do it like this.

1) 90% of the monsters/NPCs will not target dead folks.

2) Rogue types (including the gnolls) will go for the easy kills and target dying/unconcious targets

3) Spell casters will mostly avoid unconcious/dying targets

Thanks for all the input...

- Livonya

8. SadExchange

SadExchange Member

Thanks for taking all the suggestions so far, one question. A fix like this, would a person have so start fresh to have these new features or keep a saved game?

9. Livonya

No you will not have to start fresh. Not for something like this.

- Livonya

10. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

FYI, the lizard men in Imrydis Run and my spiritual weapon have also been pounding on unconcious foes in lieu of picking active targets. (I realize you already said you were going to make a change, just making sure you're aware.)

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Liv, sorry to be a pain, but I could believe that some low-intel creatures might attack opponents that are down some of the time.

Example: Your party has engaged a group of gnolls. Fighter A is positioned 20 feet away from other melee combatants and is engaged with 2 gnolls. The gnolls knock fighter A unconscious. In that circumstance, assuming that another party member is not rushing to fighter A's aid, I could easily see the gnolls pummeling fighter A until he was dead and then some.

Disregard this point if its getting too nitpicky. Your solution sounds very good to me.

gaear

12. Livonya

Yeah, I understand.

As it turns out, I added a step to all scripts that doesn't need to be there, which is why that is happening.

So yes with this version almost all creatures will pound on dying/unconcious creatures.

I will post a fix for this soon. I just need some time to do some modifications.

- Livonya

13. BoogieMan

BoogieMan Member

Yeah.. My Druid's bear companion would keep beating on Falrinth's (the wizard guy in the temple who has the orb) Quasit pet. Endlessly doing non-lethal damage to it. He even continued attacking the unconcious Quasit when Falrinth's Summoned Water Elemental was beating on him.

14. Livonya

I am going to fix it. I promise. Soon.

- Livonya

15. Rook Hudson

Rook Hudson Member

I have noticed sometimes that when my party rests 8 hours and wandering monsters show up not only do they generally all attack the left most character in the party line up (position number 1) but a lot of the time they keep attacking even when that character goes unconscious, until they kill the unconscious character. This is especially true for me when trolls attack.

Oh, how I really hate trolls ...

Our Host!