I hate Vista

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Scryler, Sep 27, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I think what he was trying to say was that Linux would be better - and even worth paying a few hundred $$$s for - if it came with a free Lexus.
    So we should all use Win98SE? I couldn't have put it better myself... :yes:

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Krunch loved Vista, didn't he? He was the only person I ever knew who did.

3. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

And yet he's no longer with us. Hmmm.....

4. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

I haven't had any real problems with it. Certainly less than I had with XP, 98 & 95. It's easy to jump on the bandwagon and slag off the scapegoat. Many of the problems are situated somewhere between chair and keyboard.

5. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I got along with Vista after I got rid of, or turned off, all the crap it comes bundled with. Especially the anti-virus.

6. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

That's allegedly the cool thing about Windows 7. It strips out all of the bad parts of Vista (most of it), keeps the best, and adds better user and gamer friendly options, etc.

We'll see.... though I believe MS got the hint!

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Pardon my skepticism. ;)

8. rex_blade

rex_blade Established Member

I can tell you, from personal experience, trying to get your software to run on Windows 7 (especially if it's XP era games) is a pain in friggin' butt. So far NWN 2 was a hassle and ToEE won't run at all after the lastest "critical update."

Also as far as "taking out all the bad things" regarding vista, the windows folder on my release candidate is hanging out at about 15 gb, so there ya go.

Anyone interested in porting ToEE and Co8 over to Snow Leopard for me?

9. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

any windows before vista means no native gigabit ethernet drivers. that means no internet (without internet, you cannot download a driver)... so you have to download it in another computer and then copy it via usb (which win 98 doesn't support BTW). And no auto identification of drivers because you have no internet on the machine you are looking for drivers for.

I had to configure a win XP computer to use the network in my college (for a friend, last month)... dear god that was a pain. half an hour of digging through obscure menus (I had a step by step instruction list).
    in vista and win 7 you just double click and it auto recognizes all conditions and just asks username and password (it uses radius authentication).
    In win XP you had to use a floppy disk and ONLY a floppy disk to load raid drivers before install.
    In windows 7 you can install a demo without the CD key.
    etc etc etc...

I use linux, solaris, and windows. (no mac though, because it is like a DRMed linux... which costs more than windows and doesn't allow me to build my own computer).

Windows vista is better than XP64bit, which was better than XP, and windows 7 is better than vista.
    I was one of those who recommended people NOT upgrade to vista and stay with XP... until SP1 for vista. that is because vista was too buggy (like any MS OS) while XP was already solid with SP2 at that point. (and an FYI, I recommended people stay with win 2k until sometime between XP SP1 and SP2).

Nowadays, there is more hardware that is compatible with vista and not XP than vice versa.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  10. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I am very frustrated and irritated.

I cannot extract the downloaded file for the
    new mod or the other one either. When I
    try, it says I do not have access.

So just what program do I change to
    the administrator to gain access? I
    believe I did that for ToEE. Maybe.

I need extremely simple directions.
    I do not know enough about computers,
    and especially Vista, to understand
    anything easily.

And this poor brain is not doing well
    at figuring it out.

Thank you in advance.

11. Lightsfantastic

Lightsfantastic Member

If you Installed on the C:/Program Files/ToEE then VISTA will mess with you forever. Did you try installing it "OUT" of the Program Files folder or on another drive (ie E:/ToEE or the like? That's how I have it and I have no problems with VISTA.

12. Scryler

I put myself as administrator of the WinRAR program and was able to install, I think, the mods (both the latest and the one previous).

However, when I clicked on the TFE-X file(?) it said one was already running. It has been like half an hour since I did that, and nothing has happened.

And what is the jpeg of TFE-X for?

So now what do I do.

Ok. I made myself the administrator of the TFE-X file. And it appears to have set itself up. I assume it has, because now I have the icon on the screen.

However, now my shockwave flash has crashed.

One thing after another. Computers are like men, imo. Sorry if I offend anyone. Maybe I should say some men. None of you out there, of course. With recent events, I don't think I can be blamed a whole lot for thinking that way right now. So maybe I will say only one man. And I'll get over it.

So I guess I will fool around and see what to do about the shockwave flash deal.

Well. That was interesting. Apparently, if you have a built in webcam, there is a problem associated with that. A Google employee posted a link to a fix and it seems to have worked. Yay.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

They revere you as a queen and hang on your every word? If only :p
    A better line of questioning might be, "why did Scryler just announce to this particular forum that she has a webcam?" :eyebrow:

Glad you sorted it out though.

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Maybe so we can tune in to watch her look of satisfaction as she kills all the men and spares the women (bugbears too) in her 5.6 run. Not that we don't deserve it ... ;)

15. Scryler

Nah...wouldn't do that...or would I?

Might try that if I ever play evil. hihi And with an all women party.

Who knew ToEE could be therapuetic?

Our Host!