I hate Vista

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Scryler, Sep 27, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I am unable to load ToEE.

Main problem I think is that I cannot make Vista do anything.

I imagine the crack is part of the problem, but I am not sure.

I have tried searching and there are too many posts to read.

Can someone...anyone?...give me instructions that are very
    simple to load ToEE with Vista?

I haven't played in awhile and I am missing it.

Thanks in advance.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Have you tried the right-click and 'run as administrator' option? That solved my main issue with Vista.

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

4. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

It worked for me as well. After that no other OS related TOEE bugs. :)

5. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

There was an article posted in the latest issue of PC gamer which talked about the 7 reasons why gamers should get Windows 7 over Vista.

I CANNOT find the damn article online and I was having issues/running outta time to try to copy it legibly at work to post here.

A quick summation: Windows 7 keeps the best of Vista and dumps the worst (OK, most). You can "downgrade" for a nominal charge.

I'll try to get this up ASAP, if I'm lucky.

Scry, you still get first crack at it, as per my PM! :hug:

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I got the paper version of the article at the house, and, basically, I'm sold. Vista is GONE. Except, I always wait a while for the bugs to be worked out first.

I also get ToEE to run by choosing "Run as Administrator" on my Vista computer. ;)

7. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

OK kiddies, no go on getting the PC gamer article posted up here.

Basically, if you hate Vista but still want to game, look into getting Windows 7. It comes out 10/21/09, IIRC.

Sorry for the false hope of getting better info up here.

8. Rickenbacker

Rickenbacker Established Member

How/ where do you do that?

A friend of mine is having Vista troubles.

9. Thorsson

Thorsson Established Member

You right click on the program and you should get the option to run as administrator.

What worked for me was manually altering the config as per the widescreen thread. After that it runs fine, don't need to run as admin.

10. Acrux

Acrux Member

Full disclosure: I work for MSFT.

Yes, use 7 - I'm using it now. Much faster than Vista and I haven't had any compatibility problems.

11. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Ok I give up what is MSFT?

12. MonkeyLancer

MonkeyLancer Member

microsoft... as much as 7 may be an improvement especially in terms of being lighter on your system, it always boggles my mind how they can rationalize charging such a ridiculous amount for OS software.

13. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

this vista hating is a disease. It took XP 2 service packs before it was useable. win95 was never good, 98 had to wait for second edition, 2000 for SP4...
    Vista got usable by SP1 and win7 by RTM... so huge props to MS there...

the real issue here is game compatibility. For which there is a simple solution. Right click your TOEE.exe file, select "run as administrator", and select the "run in compatibility mode XP SP2"

14. realmzmaster

realmzmaster Established Member

Is Microsoft charging a ridiculous amount? Compared to what? You cannot compare it to OS X because OS X is not sold separately. Linux is free, but Linux is a CLI operating system. Without KDE or Gnome there is no GUI for Linux. How many ordinary people would use plain Linux? For many people MSDOS was a pain in the butt. Also many times Linux with KDE or Gnome will not work right out the box. I give Ubuntu props for being close to a near flawless installation, but my games do not run on it. Yes, I know about WINE, but try running TOEE under WINE. Other games written for one distro of Linux may need to be recomplied for another. Most people want it to work right out of the box. Windows does that for most people. They are willing to pay the cost for the convience. The same reason why people will go to Walgreens and buy the product even though Wal-Mart has it cheaper. Walgreens is usually right around the corner or in the neighborhood, Wal-Mart is not.

Microsoft makes it software available to educational institutions at a faction of the cost. Why? It is good business. If your educational institution has a Microsoft software license the instructor can get Office 2007 Enterprise for $20 and the OS for free. Students can get Office 2007 Enterprise for $60.

Microsoft has a lot of people employed. Those people have to be paid. They want raises and a good life like the rest of us.

Cost is relative. I think a Lexus is expensive, my friend who owns one thinks it is money well spent. If it has four wheels and gets me where I am going that is fine. That is why some people opt for Linux and free software. Others want to play their games and be compatible with their work place.

A company will charge what the market will bear. I know of no software that worked perfectly right out the box, otherwise there would be no such things as patches. I have written enough to know, just when you think you tested the program to destruction some one finds a way to break it. Just my two cents, but YMMV.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  15. MonkeyLancer

MonkeyLancer Member

your logic is sound, I would be one of those who would use linux if it weren't for limited amount of games that can be run on it. And maybe because I am a definite freeware user with GIMP,Open Office, and pidgin etc, that although I Want to get windows 7, I'll whinge about paying $150 to get it. Actually,now that is getting colder I don't like the idea of using my bicycle less and public transit more often now.. so maybe I'm just a jackassed cheapskate. :yes:

For game compatibility; Even with Alchemy running, running EAX on a SB/XFI card can be finicky, so Vista makes me sad as I have decent 5.1 speakers, and I gather it is the same for 7 too.

Our Host!