Circle of Eight Modpack 5.6.0 General Commentary and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by maalri, Aug 31, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

That can be done for the next patch (which will be not much bigger than the last one, and as reasonably quick in coming out).

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I haven't played the game thru in a long time so I thought I'd play 5.6.1 thru. I had a highly protosized/consolized group and when I did the fire node/Balor it was a real abortion. The Balor's spell resistance is way to high and the summoned monsters still stand around and do nothing. Finally killed the thing and CTD. I wont bother doing the nodes again or attempt to play thru to endgame until the day comes the game is balanced and things actually work. Assuming I live that long.

3. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

I can't say for sure but isn't the Balor's SR, RAW or as close to it?

I know from other PnP games (various editions of DnD included) that Balor's are insanely tough anyway, being at the top of the demonic food chain. Save for Demon Lords and the like.

4. wizgeorge

I'm not a rules guru but I do know the Balor has received a massive upgrading from vanilla original. If the vanilla original is RAW, then the upgrades are overboard. I mean spell resistance went from 20 to 28. At 28, the thing will save 95-98% of the time. Plus with the DR and other immunities/resistances the thing is grossly overpowered. Spending over an hour on an encounter then having it end with a CTD is totally unacceptable. I've been playing this game for almost 5 years now, and i've always disliked this encounter and generally avoided it. It's totally bogus and never has worked good. Maybe it will be fixed someday but i'm not holding my breath.

5. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

6. wizgeorge

Tried again and same CTD. Consoled up the fire gem and moved on. Z was just too easy after that damn Balor. Man. I hate that thing. It is not immune to magic missile, tho. It takes a few hundred to kill it but I had 3 wizards/fighter/wizards with wands. It took a long while but we got him. If the summoned critters would actually fight it wouldn't take so long. Tough fight as it's always been, but I still hate it.

7. rtl42

rtl42 Member

re: queen tarah, what's supposed to happen, anyways? i tried to do as much of the brothels quests as i could, and according to my logbook i left no quests undone, yet it seemed like i wasn't able to find out who Queen Tarah really was (or even find her!), or who those 5 guys in the inn were.

i have a party of good characters, does that limit my dialogue possibilities with them? or do i need to do something specific to get them to talk?

8. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

Queen Tarah...?

Oh, my... A new thing I've lost in this game....

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It's a teaser for TotWC - they blow through Nulb early on and will reappear later in the expansion. Bigger and better things to come. :mrhappy:

(Queen Tarah herself never is encountered in Nulb ... just the tales of her exploits. Suspense!)

10. Obadiah

Obadiah Member

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack Bug Report Thread

1-6 same as above

More fire node fun:

When battling the 6 salamanders guarding the chest, I discovered a few bugs. Well, probably 1 bug and 1 very bad ai script.

BUG: the salamanders know exactly where all your party members are on the screen and can cast (and WILL) fireballs at them from clear across the map.

I was having difficulty with this battle (part II - the ai has them cast fireball non stop throughout the whole battle and ignore melee targets in range, not sure if its a bug or ai) so I decided to leave my party over by the bridge (across the map) and sneak my rogue and invis mage over to "handle it." Well, I summoned a bunch of stuff with the skull (rogue) and had my mage start laying down the magic smack down on them. They ignored the summoned mobs and just cast fireballs non stop at the rest of my party clear across the map, killing my poor dwarf fighter/cleric in the process (he don't dodge too good lol).

Anyway, might wanna nerf the omnicient unlimited fireball casting 3 attacks per round with reach weapon damage shielded elite salamanders a bit. They are TOUGH. Thanks.

[edit]

Moved from GM bug thread.

- Gaear

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2009
  11. sanuu

sanuu Member

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack Bug Report Thread

i think my version is 5.6.0 but didn't found other good place to post this so here it goes.
    i installed the game as they say... patch 1 - 2 - extract mod - activate.
    My ingame menu already changed but the problems are this:
    i can't pick drops when i kill monsters ( my friend says he can pick the items but on my game i need to sleep before only after i can pick the drops from teh ground [i think the term is loot, i can't loot])
    second: on my wizard / sorcerer i can use lots of missiles like 5 in lvl 1. i think it isn't right.
    but the worst is that about loot, if anybody knows anything abotu this please give me a hand, ty

12. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Looting bug and magic missile bug in the same game? Sounds like you either are playing the vanilla game (installed but did not activate the Co8 mod) or perhaps you installed a no-cd crack - and got the wrong one. The correct no-cd is very small - 33 kb when installed, but the incorrect version is much bigger ~ 1.6 MB IIRC. Make sure you have the patch 2 version of the no-cd crack.

If you're not using a no-cd, and you're sure you're playing the Co8 mod and not vanilla, I don't know what else could be the problem other than maybe a totally botched install.

13. rtl42

rtl42 Member

oh i see, i'll be sure to look for them in TotWC, then.

14. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Gaear, why do you gank the low INT lines?

It's one thing not to add those for the new content, but you shouldn't remove what is a staple of Troika/Cain games (both Fallouts and Arcanum had low INT dialogue, at times it was damn funny).

15. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Duh...cuz me am finding them off...uh...off...uh...bad! :confused:

Our Host!