Hemlock Missing?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by TazmanianD, Sep 6, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. EdCon

EdCon Member

But Maalri, Ted's head is so shiny, in an undead lich sort of way (the avatar one)...and I heard a rumor that if you kiss up to modders they send you the ultrasecret, already fully finished but never released Uber Keep Mod...

Just sayin' ;)

-EC

2. maalri

maalri Immortal

Ted's REAL head is that way too! Just go to the Cam-Hos thread in the General Forum :)

:poke: Ted You are a Handsome Monk! (Now do I get the Uber Keep Mod?? huh- Do I DO I??!!)

3. Euangelion

Euangelion Member

For me the issue is one of priorities. I'm primarily concerned with dealing with the bandit issue, especially in regards to the moathouse. Sure I care that Black Jay's sheep are dying, but I have only so much time on my hands, so I'm only going to spend so much time investigating. Frankly, I gave up, because the quest is worth, what, 35 xp each? Now the ring quest is different, I get a pretty useful item, especially at low levels, so that one is worth my effort (and I did find the ring, not the first time I went to its place, but the second time, when I noticed something odd in the area.)
    So, tell me why I should complete this quest, beyond the nagging of the paladin in my party. Better XP reward? Cool item? An open door to another quest that would otherwise be off limits? Work with me here.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

People tend to play by rote, and the ToEE play style certainly encourages that, unfortunately. This will be no different once it gets figured out, but it's not insanely difficult. Black Jay has asked you (or you volunteered or whatever) to find out what's happening to his sheep. What would you do in RL if someone asked you to find something out? Just do a physical search of the area and then tell them "sorry, I'm stumped!" if you found nothing?

If it's not a priority for you then forget about it, but I suspect that many of the Hommlet quests would fall under that category if you didn't already know the answers from previous play-throughs.

The form of the original quest was absurd, frankly. Black Jay never noticed strange plants lying around in his field where the sheep graze? He never noticed Corl standing there every night from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m.? His dogs never noticed? Now the quest is just mildly more complex and intriguing, and slightly less embarassing to play due to vanilla's ridiculous simplicity. Just use your head.

5. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

My first guess would be Jaroo killing the sheep. Sure he acts like he loves life in all forms (animal, human, in-between) but really he just wants to turn everyone vegetarian and has to eliminate meat food sources.

6. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I think a lot of people, me included, just skip most of the Hommlet quests. Do the one that gets you the moathouse map, hire any npc's, then use the console to levelup to 3/4 and go to the moathouse. Now if bandits kidnapped Meleny and her little brother, then I'd go look for them. Hemlock, nah. Or if my girlfriend Fruella and her family was in dire financial straits, then I'd help out. Hemlock and dead sheep. Not really interested. Someday when I get my mod together. No time soon for sure.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The sheep died due to running with scissors.

8. maalri

maalri Immortal

Jaroo TOLD the sheep not to smoke, but would they listen... NOOO!

Carcinogens, the invisible killer. :sadblinky

9. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Some Scots came by and the sheep all eloped with them. ;)

10. Euangelion

Euangelion Member

It didn't come across as well as I'd hoped, but I was trying to talk in character, except the XP and item thing doesn't really fit. Sorry!! I totally agree that the quest needed an upgrade. Frankly, I'm still stumped. (Playing pretty much just late at night doesn't help.) Nice work, then!!

11. rtl42

rtl42 Member

well in case anyone's still stumped, i hope i don't give too much away by saying: there's someone quite close to Black Jay's place who'll give you the necessary quest trigger, if you ask.

12. maalri

maalri Immortal

The Dog is close, try talking to the Dog. Or the sheep.

(Yes I actually tried them! :doh::dizzy:)

13. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

The scots arn't the bad ones, It's the welsh you have to look out for ;)

14. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

And don't forget the Cornish! :p

15. maalri

maalri Immortal

What do HENS have to do with freaking Dead SHEEP? Goodness this thread is getting off track (with my help of course! ;))

Our Host!