Dragon Age

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ranth, Sep 6, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I just ran across the below article on MMORPG.com regarding Bioware's DragonAge coming out soonish. It seems pretty cool. It might revolutionize the RPG mold, breaking us out of isometric games and putting us in a 3d world that we can pause, plan attacks, and thrive in.

Link to Article: http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/3481/General-A-Look-at-Dragon-Age.html

Article:

2. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

3. Arem

Arem Member

Is this a joke topic or are you like fucking retarded?

4. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Back to school, kiddo.

While you are at school going out of your way to not learn anything while texting someone you think is a friend, the rest of us will be kicking back, working up to 20 hours a week just to get out of the house and come home in the middle of the day to play ToEE and other other games that amuse us. I myself prefer my old lady to dress up as Wonder Woman, tie me up with the golden lariat and force me to tell the truth, but to each his own.

Ranth, the game sounds interesting. I will definitely check it out. The only thing that concerns me really is that is looks very, very graphical. I am hoping hard that they spent more time on the game mechanics than on the graphics, or it will just turn out to be another in a very long line of one trick ponies, very nice to look at but nothing under the hood.

5. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Arem,

Pretty sure I am retarded. I am working 70 hours a week getting my PhD at a top school, I cant be sane.

Necro,

I do agree that the graphic focus concerns me too, but the fact that you can pause and plan attacks and build up characters intrigues me. I think any game company that says "Lets make a 2d isometric RPG" in this day and age wont find a publisher, and therefore needs to leap to 3d. What also intrigues me is that they are including an expansion editor with the PC version so we could develop adventures if the game is cool.

Bioware is a top notch game studio with an amazing reputation for RPG's. I don't expect this to be crap, but we will find out in November wont we? Thank god for winter break.

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Retarded? Depends on what the PhD is in.

In my field, Mathematics, the PhD usually indicates schitzophrenic dementia. ;)

I just hope my computer will RUN the damn thing!

7. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Member

What on earth are you doing here Arem? Go try to troll some kiddo boards....no one here's interested in you.

On topic. I will prolly pick up this game, but I'm a bit worried as to the "under the hood" mechanics.

Part of what makes DnD fun is playing around with the mechanics; if everythings done for you, I may as well play Soul Caliber. We shall just have to see, but I more or less expect to be dissapointed. DnD rules/spells etc have been tweaked over many years. Can Bioware claim they have another really good ruleset under those graphics?

8. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Hmmm... not really a good way to start only your SECOND post.

Try researching, learning, even READING more and come back with a well-formed and INTELLIGENT rebuttal/criticism, etc.

While everyone has their likes and dislikes, especially when it comes to RPG's, we here tend to form our opinions in a more educated and mature manner. DO read the posting and behaviour guidelines for posting, would you?

We've has more than our fair share of these types before, we don't need to degrade this site with such inflammatory comments.

9. Zagig

Zagig Member

I have been looking forward to this game for about a year. It was initially supposed to be realeased in Q2 '09 but has been pushed back now to Q4 as Bioware admits to having to fix some bugs. I personally don't mind waiting if it makes the game better, and having the same dev team that did Baldur's Gate makes me sure that it will be a great game. I've seen some of the gameplay demos and it appears that they took a page out the TOEE playbook with multiple storylines, quests, and endings depending on your class, race, and in game actions.

If anyone wants to get me a really nice Christmas present, this is it!!! LOL

10. realmzmaster

realmzmaster Established Member

I will admit I have put in my pre-order for the collector's edition. I am going against my usual rule of waiting until after the first patch to buy a game. I have had nothing but good experiences with Bioware crpgs. I am willing to take a chance. My computer should have enough horsepower to run the beast.

if the toolkit is as good or better than the Neverwinter Nights toolkits, I may dive in and try to learn how to use it.

11. MonkeyLancer

MonkeyLancer Member

I may not accuse people of being retarded, but I do have concerns about this game. Bioware has lately shown a declining interest in cRPGs by stating that shooters are the future of cRPGs

It seems to me that not only is their an overemphasis on the graphical, but claiming that pausing is anything like a turn based RPG is somewhat insulting to one's intelligence. I would go as far as saying that this is as much a spiritual predecessor to BG as Fallout 3 is a predecessor to the original Fallout.

P.S.
    I cannot deny that trailers using a Marilyn Manson song really indicates who the the target audience of this game really is.

http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,96455,6952988,Wywiad__Heather_Rabatich_o_Mass_Effect_2.html

12. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Monkey,

You are completely correct that pause button does not equal turn based. I do not expect this to be ToEE on steroids, I expect it to be Baldur's Gate on steroids (BG had the pause button right? Its been too long).

This is not going to be D&D rules and its not turn based, but that doesn't make it bad. I think we need to get used to the fact that new fantasy cRPG's are going to be seldom due to the proliferation of MMORPG's which make vast sums of money if successful. We have to take what we get, and if Dragon Age's concept is successful, other studios might jump on the bandwagon and start making more cRPG games (We could only be so lucky).

The main thing I don't like about the videos are the mage's spells. They seem lacking in something, but that is a graphical point so we don't have much else to go on.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  13. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

After another read through the article coupled with an uninterrupted viewing of the related videos, this ones got my vote, and eventually my purchase.

The various origin story lines are quite intriguing and seemingly well written. Graphics... can't complain, but then again, graphics aren't the top thing on my list when I look for games.

I love the fact that its 100% one player. Something I can work on and explore at my own leisure.

Definitely worth a serious consideration.

14. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

GD right, tough guy! If I wanted to interact with real people, I'd waste all my money on World Of $#@%craft. With single player games, I can live as a shut-in behind my boarded-up windows, laying in my titanium reinforced bed with the built in microwave/refrigerator/commode that's next to the door and occasionally take a break every week to wash myself with a rag on a stick! Aaaahhhhhhh, this is the good life.

*note to self*
    Time to buy another couple of young bull mastiffs to pull my bed around.

15. MonkeyLancer

MonkeyLancer Member

Speaking of spells, I hope that once the combat starts it is less chaotic then NWN and more like BG and that spell casting and ranged characters will actually be feasible.

I do think that both MMORPGs and Dragon Age are really marketed for the "unwashed masses" rather then the niche market of more retro cRPGs. However, if that means as you say that more studios create more RPGs I'll be thrilled.And I am thrilled by the impressive voice acting they've employed with Tim Curry .. and err not so much Kate Mulgrew.

Our Host!