How to go about getting a company to make a real game?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Necroticpus, Aug 26, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Zagig,

Do you play X-com or X-Com Apocalypse? I thought Apocalypse was great.

2. Bob Corncob

Bob Corncob Maverick Moon Miner

Should play fine in DosBox

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Is an asston a similar qualifier to assclown, as in "Michael Bolton is a no-talent assclown?" 1

1. Office Space, 1998, paraphrased

4. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

An asston is used when you aren't sure of the exact measurement other than to know that's it's one hell of a lot that cannot easily be counted.

Metric asstons are generally less everywhere in the world except for the states. We are content to measure the larger numbers as opposed to thinking of smaller numbers being larger. So, 400 billion metric asstons would equate to roughly 500 billion asstons in the states. Either way though, that's a lot of asstons.

5. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

asston > stinkload?

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Closest guess: Ass is the source. Ton is the measure. :thumbsup:

7. Necroticpus

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! What's this all about? I never heard of that Cthulhu computer game. I must search for this, right now. I'm all about Cthulhu and MR. Lovecraft in general.

*edit*
    Nothing turns up on Amazon or E-Bay. If it's old, where would you suggest looking? I know that the brits generally have a lot of old time stuff hanging around, particularly as it concerns Cthulhu, Elric and Middle Earth.

Which reminds me. A few years ago I bought a dvd about Tolkien's middle earth. Unbeknownst to me, it was only a bunch of old, stuffy, english literary quasi-intellectuals droning on for 2 and a half freaking hours about really significant things in tolkien's world like how the thrush that knocks on the grey stone revealing Smaug's chambers is a simple allegory of man's taking for granted of small things and whatnot. Absolutely, without any shadow of a doubt the most mind-numbingly brutal lecture ever formulated by any human anywhere. I'm confident that if I were to all of a sudden turn chaotic-evil/amoral and killed more people than Hitler, I would definitely be meeting the producers of that dvd in hell, if there is one. The english can be so extremely anal about Tolkien. Ugh.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  8. Bob Corncob

Bob Corncob Maverick Moon Miner

http://www.irontowerstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=481.0

9. Necroticpus

Bob, if I were a woman, you'd get tongue. :poke:

This is most excellent news indeed. After being disappointed a little bit with Dark Corners Of The Earth, this is my next new thing to look forward to. Well, you know, besides all the Co8 stuff coming down the pipe.

If you can't be with the one you love, honey, love the one your with. :pelvicthr

10. johnworfin

johnworfin Fist of Destiny

An Asston, be it metric, imperial or american standard is a measure of weight.
    An Assload, Shitload ect, be it Metric, imperial or american standard is a measure of volume.;)

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I got a 3dvd box set like that :) I like it.

12. Zagig

Zagig Member

I am talking about the original X-Com from 1993. I didn't even know about the new Apocalypse game until my buddy told me about it just a couple of days before I had to start my leave from work. Thus, I have not been able to play it and will have to wait until I return home in the middle of October to give it a try. It does look pretty awesome, though. Hmm, with that and Dragon Age: Origins, I won't have much free time. Oh well, it's not like I want to go outside during the -40 C winter days anyway.

13. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Member

HI Stunt, have you concidered using something called "DOSBOX". I think it can slow your virtual dosbox to the correct speed.

Can you tell me about these "gold" games, I've not heard about them thanks.

14. realmzmaster

realmzmaster Established Member

BruntFCA,

The gold box games were a series of crpgs based on D & D modules produced by SSI (Strategic Simulations Incorporated) in the late 1980's and early 19990's. SSI won the license from TSR in 1987 to produce the games. The first goldbox game (so nicknamed because they came in a gold colored box with various picture art) was Pool of Radiance (1988). The first four gold box games formed a complete story arc (Curse of the Azure Bonds (1989), Secret of the Silver Blades (1990) and the Pool of Darkness (1991)) located in the city of Phlan and the Moonsea Reaches.

The engine was refined by StormFront Studios (produced by SSI) who developed the Savage Frontier goldbox story arc, Gateway to the Savage Frontier (1991) and Treasures of the Savage Frontier (1992) set in Neverwinter.

There were also goldbox games for the Dragonlance realm (Champions of Krynn(1990), Death Knights of Krynn (1991) and The Dark Queen of Krynn (1992)).

There was the Buck Rogers goldbox games that included (Countdown to Doomsday (1990) and Matrix Cuded (1992)).

SSI also produced the goldbox game maker kit called Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures (1992). FRUA allowed one to create their own goldbox modules.

15. Necroticpus

Let's not forget the really excellent ones, Eye Of The Beholder I, II and III, as well as Dark Sun ones, Menzoberranzan and there was also a Ravenloft one, although I can't for the life of me recall the name right now.

Our Host!