Ambitious Prokect - 2 years belated

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by OgreBattle, Aug 25, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. OgreBattle

OgreBattle God of Rhye

Greetings,
    Two years ago, I announced a project to create a total conversion of Tomb of Horrors. But, career got in the way. Since I didn't go to MIT, I'll need a little help.

I am retired now, and between sleeping and World of Warcraft, I now have the time to dedicate to this. Since then, I have expanded my idea to include Return to the Tomb of Horrors (updated to 3.5) and Castle Perilous, all adjusted to be contiguous.

First, I need assistance on recompiling the ToeeImpExp tool with VS 2008 to 3ds Max 2010 and a primer on manipulation of the objects, including ripping off objects from NWN2 (all expansions and addons installed).

And Second, A primer on using the various paint programs out there. I have Sketchup, Paint.net, GIMP, and Inkscape. (I am seeking an isometric paint program also).

Yes, this is one massive undertaking, but I have a passion for D&D since Chainmail - possibly the reason I didn't go to MIT.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

OgreBattle

2. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

You da man! That's what I been talkin bout is what you just said right there! I can't offer you anything in terms of creation help in any manner whatsoever but I can offer all the moral support a project like this will take!

Tomb of horrors, return to tomb of horrors and castle perilous. Wow. That's freakin awesome.

*edit*
    I am work right now, spanking frank doing nothing and I just thought of something. In the original tomb of horrors, the demi-lich was named Acarcerak. I'm fairly sure there's a differently named one in return to the tomb of horrors. Not saying there's anything wrong with that but it just struck me odd that there's two different ones in basically the same place. This ain't right. Ain't no way two demi-liches would ever share the same 500 cubic miles. They'd both be trying to murder the other one and steal their stuff and the land around them would be a blasted wasteland where all living things have already been killed because of their fighting.

I'm going to check through this at home tonight because it IS possible I'm wrong. :yes:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I thought 'Return...' featured a city of Necromancers or something that had grown up around the tomb, but didn't go into it? (Or am I totally confused? Or did I just give away the plot? :blush: )
    Do you mean 3d objects? Or mobs? In both cases, it won't work: we can't make new animated models of any kind in ToEE (just 'single-bone' ones, as they tell me they're called, like swords and staves) and ToEE uses its own mobs obviously. We can only remesh models, not make new ones.

EDIT: Ugh that sounded negative. Let me just say that Tomb of Horrors is DEFINITELY doable with the ToEE engine! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  4. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Ok, got it. Yes, the school of necromancers grow up around the tomb but that has nothing to do with the plot really. They're just a diversion for sonny jim underneath, so he doesn't get bothered. ;)

5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I'd like to say I've been anticipating this - retired veteran D&D players who have all the time in the world to mod. Maybe in a few years we'll have a renaissance of tactical turn based games.

Unfortunately, I can't help you with anything that you asked, and I fear that regarding your first request, most of the others won't either - I'm afraid you're going to have to pioneer it. You are encouraged to document whatever headway you do make, for the benefit of others who might want to go down the same path.

6. OgreBattle

OgreBattle God of Rhye

Re: Ambitious Prokect - 2 years belated - I am not defeated yet!!!

Check out these resources I have found:

http://www.ritualistic.com/games/ef2/gdkdocs/content/fakk2_max2skl.html

Which is ÜberTools Game Development Kit

and the location of the source files is:

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/4159/Heavy+Metal+FAKK2+Tools+/+Source+Code

There are some striking similarities between what we know and what is located there. With some modifications, could this be useful?

Just take a look at them and see if they could be adaptable to our needs.

Our Host!