Cavanaugh trouble

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Savonarollo, Mar 23, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Savonarollo

Savonarollo Member

I read that Cavanaugh could be recruited as an npc if he is intimidated to pay his dues. Also I read that we could get three beggars in front of the Inn in Hommlet.
    I've tried this in every game I have started, before and after applying patches, but the only beggar I get is Othello. Cavanaugh never exits the brewery even months after the quest is complete. And Erliter either.

Is this another major bug?

2. Lord Plothos

Lord Plothos Established Member

I've gotten Cavanaugh out there before. It depends on how you complete the quest. You have to make sure he is the one that pays his dues. You can't do it for him. Be warned, though, that this may earn you a bad rep in town.

3. Savonarollo

Savonarollo Member

Everytime I tell him to pay his dues, then go to the St Cuthbert priest to tell him he will pay by tomorrow. Then that's all, Cavanaugh doesn't give anymore dialog options.
    He never goes out of the brewery, and Erliter either.

Once I got a dialog with the brew master to convince him to take back Cavanaugh and at one point I can tell him: "he's out begging in the streets" but in fact Cavanaugh is still in the brewery.

I think I have some kind of bug here.

4. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Are you playing the English version or one of the localised ones? I know for a fact that this is bugged in the German version.

5. Savonarollo

Savonarollo Member

That must be it I'm playing a french version. Although it's been running in both french and english since i've applied the co8 patch (but that's ok with me).
    Guess I should forget about this beggars quest.

6. Savonarollo

Savonarollo Member

Anybody has any idea if I can fix this in my French version of the game? Is it possible? Difficult? Long? Anyone done it for the german version?

7. Morpheus

This can be done in the French version (I did it for the German one), it just requires a bit of work.

This thread will give you some clues:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1004

The localized versions suffer from a number of issues. There are quite a few differences (scripting-wise) between the English and the localized files.

I could help you fixing this if you send me the French .dlg files.

8. Savonarollo

Savonarollo Member

Thank you Morpheus, I'm gonna have a look and maybe get back to you on this.
    Cheers,

9. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

Hmm. I wonder if this means that the localized versions might help those of us trying to map out all commands and their arguments. If there are calls that are different (or used differently) in the localized versions, then we could get further clues... <drools>

-- dulcaoin

10. Savonarollo

Savonarollo Member

I'm not sure it's possible for me to extract the dlg files in english. All I get is the french threads for Cavanaugh (brew apprentice) and indeed there is only 3 threads relative to him being a beggar. Lots is missing and no sign of asking him to join...
    How can I find the original english dlg?

11. Morpheus

dulcaoin: The German version seems to be based on an older build of the English game as far as .dlg files are concerned. I don't think it has any revelations to offer concerning the scripting stuff, but I can send you the German dialogue files if you want to look through them.

Savonarollo: I extracted the English .dlg files from the English version version of the game (I own it in English and German), but you could also extract them from toee4.dat, which is installed with patch 2.

12. Savonarollo

Savonarollo Member

I installed the french translation of patch2 (from http://toee.free.fr), so I don't have Toee4.dat :-(

13. Morpheus

Hm ... the site doesn't mention which of the patches they translated, actually. Would be interesting to know.

If you want the English files, I can send them to you.

Just PM me your e-mail adress.

14. Savonarollo

Savonarollo Member

I compared both the french and english .dlgs for Cavanaugh (there are two of them) and also the ones for Calmert who is related to him in the quest. I think they are perfectly identical. The problem must come from the function that must erase Cavanaugh from the brewery and place him by the Inn if you intimidated him into paying his dues.
    I don't know the game well enough and couldn't find anything related to this switch in the english dlg.

Also I noticed a whole dialog thread about flowers between Calmert and Myella that I never saw anywhere I will try to check it out.

Our Host!