Hello, I'm new here and I have an urgent question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by troop18546, Jul 30, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. troop18546

troop18546 Arcanum God

I'm not insulted, I'm just pissed off.

Well, having to resort to a mod to actually beat a game that is unplayable in vanilla is basically being forced to play the Co8 mod.

I'll read up on the flee combat more, if you insist, but I've tried it now in 1.0, 2.0, 3.0 and modded 5.5.0 to no avail in any situation. It IS a game stopping issue for me, since I'm stuck at an enemy that isn't even hostile at me anymore, unless I attack it. It's stuck. I'm not. I don't see no reason a script like "end combat after 3 turns if noone has a chance to attach each other once" shouldn't be available in first place. What, you think we should be in fight-mode even tho we're alone in a room and the enemy is nowhere to be seen?
    The main reason I don't want to use a mod in the first place is that this one is changing the game from the ground up (I read there is the lesser version, where most of the mod is just bug fixes, so don't bring that up). The game progresses fine even in vanilla where I managed to get this far, if not dying a million times, using saves and trying over and over again, not being stopped by too powerful enemies (like in this case). I have saves that work under the official patches, so I want to advance.

Well, you don't have to be sorry - I'm sorry I sound too angry here, but I'm upset I loved Troika so much I decided to hunt down a game I thought I'd never find and I found it on vacation in another country even. Just my luck to be beaten not by the game, but by bugs + game. The game is too hard, imho - the only character that is of any use is Elmo (not even my created char, but an NPC for crying out loud), since he strikes twice, has high hp (what is it with HP? a wizard I have only has 5 or smth in the beginning meaning 1 hit one kill??? If I would try to go to the moathouse alone - instant death, so how is this player friendly?)...

I manage to get the Juggernaut to like 120dmg or so (badly injured or near death), but thats when elmo dies and my wizard has no spells to do any more damage. What's the solution I have no clue. Getting more spells? More players? Cheating (I don't care at this point, as long as I see the story progress, bosses and whatever)?

2. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

Do you only have a wizard and elmo in your party? If so no wonder you find it hard going 'solo' on yor first go, and with a wizard.

If your stuck in combat; type in the consol (hold shift and press the tidle key; the one above tab and next to 1):
    game.worldmap_travel_by_dialog(1)
    That will take you to Homlett.

There are ways to make the game easier; roll better characters, doing quests (in Homlett) to level up, getting magic items. This game is far from unbeatable if you play it right.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hey troop, sorry to hear you are having a bad time.
    Correct. Let me say straight away, to save your sanity and your blood pressure, throw out your old saves - no matter how much it hurts - and install the mod pack. Its like thowing out broken 8-tracks to enjoy new cds. Or, its like getting vaccinated - a moment's pain, a lifetime with far fewer problems.

Seriously. Play the mod.
    Yup, thats a serious issue: if you attack a room full of children, they all fight to the death, none run or sue for mercy or make morale checks or whatever (btw - thats NOT a TFE-X issue, TFE-X is just the thing at the beginning that runs the game, not the game itself. Small but important point).

For the record, I tried to fix it. I couldn't. Sorry about that.

If you don't want to play our mod, thats cool. But your objections would be much better suited to an angry letter to Atari.

4. troop18546

troop18546 Arcanum God

That console thing doesn't work either for me. Does it only work in the mod?
    I did roll a nice character, but it's my choice if I want an intellectual approach with nice looking spells and not a dumb, overgrown barbarian imbecile that uses just point, click bash attacks. This is poor (abysmal) balancing.
    As for the doing quests - yeah, I would, but what if I don't want to do everything in a game and just want to progress with saving the whole game (i.e. main quest)? Ooh look I should save the world from xxxxxx! Hmmm... I'm low level, there's only like 8 hours to save the world... Hmmm... I guess I can save that little kitty in the tree to gain exp! Wheee!
    ^ that is just one of the lamest things in ToEE, it's bad enough the exp doesn't build up fast since the random encounters are so scarse and only are there to draw you from the main thing what you're doing, but it's just also not realistic enough for me.

I fortunately have some saves where I can try out and level to the max 10th before heading over to the juggernaut again (thanks himself for being considerate in 2005), but I feel I shouldn't have the need to. And end boss - yes, but this is just poor planning... Hmmm... what else... Oh yes - I think I had managed to run away from the juggernaut only once or smth, but I have no clue since it's been like 4 years. Ok, onto replying to shiningtod now.

5. troop18546

troop18546 Arcanum God

I said I don't want to offend the modmakers, but it's just I'm trying all these ideas and nothing happening just makes me upset.
    I'll edit this post later.

6. shoprat

shoprat Member

Well, the game was meant to be played with 5-6 characters, not one so that is a bit of the problem, although ppl have played and beaten the game with just one, its after they've played the game a few times and understand all the intricacies and stuff with the game, for a first playthru I think most ppl would use 2 tanks (fighters/paladins/barbarians) a faceman(to talk to all the different ppl usually with high bluff/diplomacy/intimidate skills I think rogues work good for this since they double as a lockpicker, and a healer (cleric/druid) and a offensive magic user (wizard/sorcerer) that was sorta how the game was meant to be played. And as far as doing all the fed-ex quests your talking about when your supposed to be saving the world from this evil, at the beginning of the game your not meant to even know about that evil. So, if you want to add to your party now, you dont have to start over you can go to an inn and hit the guestbook on the table and you can add to the party there, but they'll start at level one.
    If you dont want to do that you can add another fighter/npc to the party, I'd suggest Otis who is in Nulb as another good fighter, but you can only go in the temple twice with him so try to get as far as you can in the temple before exiting.

Also I would suggest using your wizard to do alot of crafting, so you should get the crafting feats craft magical arms and armor.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  7. troop18546

troop18546 Arcanum God

Finally - something I can use. 2 tanks like him and Elmo would work great. Another npc from the tavern (can't quite remember his name) is just a useless dirtbag.
    Thanks for the advice as well - I plan to storm in with him just once until I kill off everything in sight.
    But... ummm... where is he in Nulb? Like specific... Oh yeah, I can just look it up.

Ok, his attack is ver weak compared to elmo and he uses a bow o_O... kinda wasted... but I hope he could atleast damage the juggernaut from a distance, then I'm a sure winner if it works. I'll play with this scenario in mind tomorrow. You've all been a nice help in answering my upset, annoying questions.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
  8. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

You can actually swap Otis's bow for his ol long sword which he is pretty good with.

9. troop18546

troop18546 Arcanum God

I did, but I don't understand one thing - he has picked up too much stuff that is making him encumbered (he's slower and less effective I guess too this way), but when I try to make him drop one cruddy thing - I can't. Is there any way to make him less encumbered? I get a msg saying "the npc wont (or cant) drop this item". What do I do?

10. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

This is one situation (among so many others previously mentioned) where you need to be playing the newest Co8 mod with the new FE. There is (and has been, in older versions), a Humble NPC option, that when checked, allows you to easily manipulate NPCs inventories.

Curious, and a serious inquiry, what games do you normally play on a regular (or semi-regular) basis?

11. troop18546

troop18546 Arcanum God

Well I want to skip the mod for at least until I beat the game in vanilla - I'm certain of one thing: it must've ****ed up on it's own somewhere in the middle of the game where I got to the juggernaut. In other occasions I seemed to have slipped by most of the bugs, albeit some corrupted saves, so I'm sure I'll get the hang of playing a buggy game again. Thanks for the advice. I'm gonna try to get Otis in my group again and see if he's already encumbered when he joins - I'll see.

I play games from a wide range. As I've said - this is my first D&D encounter ever, and I mostly judge on what to choose for my chars from just the sound of things or what I read in the description of skills and etc. I'm no geek-expert, so that's why I'm so green in this.
    As for the other games - fps (unbeatable), rpg (Arcanum god, Diablo 1&2 expert), strategy (Homm3 & 4 genius), 3rd person (Max Payne genius - I'm the top player of that in the world) and etc. I'm just not into point-click, adventure games or racing games (tho I do play them sometimes - and pretty well) and the like.

12. troop18546

troop18546 Arcanum God

Sorry for the double-posting I'm about to commit, but...

I beat the son of a bitch. For some reason the flee combat thingie must've been glitched out on my last save, but it was working like a charm today and yesterday late. I just took the hit&run tactic - Elmo and Otis (brothers lol XD) kick the shit out it till they can't go no more and I am in the other side of the battle behind the entrance to it all - flee. XD

If this had worked years ago - I would've maybe been done long ago with it and beat it.

What I must say about ToEE - even though it has lots of bugs, poor path-finding, hard to understand gameplay and dragged out too much turn based combat...

It still looks better than any other RPG game I have EVER seen (music is awesome too, mood, etc.). The new Diablo 3 doesn't look as good as this gem does.

YAY! Onto the next challenge!!!
    Thanks for the advice, and a special thanks to shoprat!

13. crhallen

crhallen Toee addict Supporter

Seriously?

The TOEE is a cult classic Greyhawk adventure that many of us have played with dice, pencils, and something that is not used often enough anymore, imagination. It is unfortunate that you can't see the forest through the trees. You have been given a tremendous amount of thoughtful and patient advice from an amazing group of TOEE soldiers. When you turn 15 you will probably understand what I mean.

Don't freaking run from battle. I never felt the need, I just die, start over, get better, try again. It may be an alien concept to you, it is called adversity. Ask your grandparents about it since it appears that Mom left this out of the lesson plan.

The turn based roll playing is not for everyone unfortunately since you can't find it anywhere but here. I want to thank all of you studs that have made this game an awesome experience by dedicating so much time to it.

Now if I can only figure out how to re load it on my new 64 bit operation system and get the Keep on the Borderlands. If anyone can get me fixed up i will gladly donate $50 to the cause.

Off to work I go.

14. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Whoa there big fella.
    No need for personal attacks this isn't Terra Arcanum.
    It is possible to disagree without a flamethrower.

15. troop18546

troop18546 Arcanum God

Wow, just wow - you can now go grow up, low-paid-crap-collar-worker.

Can you believe this guy? Pfff... primadona...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!