DM's decision.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by wizgeorge, Apr 1, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

In pnp d&d most everything was based on the DM's decisions and everyone went with it. If something didn't work out, it was his job to fix/correct it. You can't do that in these computer games when nobody knows who the REAL DM is. You generally have to follow a script of some kind. Who is the DM? Atari, Troika, or WoTC? I think the mod community is the best choice/hope for the best DM.

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The other important job for the DM is to "bend the rules" to fit the situation and make for more enjoyable roleplaying, ie not counting that crit as a crit 'cause it'll kill him and I've spent all week planning an adventure around that character' The computer takes no prisoners, gives no consesions and doesn't have alterior motives for its actions, and until someone invents a truely independant AI chip that can "think for itself" it ain't gonna change.

3. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

That's what save/restore is for.

It feels like cheating (to me) to use it to get a perfect outcome with every encounter, but it's NOT cheating to use it to recover from the "unfair crit on the character I was building for weeks".

Ironman mode, on the other hand. THAT is Take No Prisoners.

;-)

-- dulcaoin

4. Martinius

Martinius Member

DM is also about balance and flexibility - adapting to your style of play and making things "just sufficiently challenging", and throwing in the needed parts humor and twists of fate at the right moment.

These you cannot have in a computer game.

5. Jota

Jota Member

I think the only advantage that computers have is that you can play when ever you whant, and not let forget the online component of todays games like NWN for example. In my opinion a good Ai in RGP games depend most on their interaction with the world, monsters are easy, but NPCs are not, most of the time NPCs act as alone individuals and thats wrong, i dont think its very difficult to set a good AI, the problem is that take time.

There is a DM in a single player game but is actions are limited because their choices where allready made.

6. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

Yes, I completely agree with that. I was just providing a counterpoint to the thought that there's no recourse when the "dice are against you" in a CRPG.

Playing with a live DM and playing on the computer are completely different animals, IMHO. Even playing NWN against a "live" DM is not the same, I don't think. To me, "live" D&D is a story-telling, fantasy situation. Numbers and dice are there to provide structure and flow, but that aspect is secondary. In that case "that's not in the rules!" doesn't really fly. CRPGs are all about numbers and dice and rules. There are attempts to add story, but they never come through like a DM (along with good imaginative players) can.

Basically, with good DnD (which is, unfortunately, rare), you could actually have your girlfriend or your mother (and any non-geek*) nearby, and s/he could actually enjoy the goings-on. Otherwise, it's numbers and stats and basically a geek*-fest.

-- dulcaoin

* I use the term 'geek' as a proud label. I myself am STEEPED in geekness, so put down your flamethrowers, folks.

Our Host!