Improved Trip question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by RedPhalkon, Jul 10, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. RedPhalkon

RedPhalkon Cat 1 / Sor 1

I have a quick question about the Improved Trip feat. The rules as written in my 3.5 player's handbook states:

You do not provoke an attack of opportunity when you attempt to trip an opponent while you are unarmed.

Does this mean that you will still provoke an AoO in ToEE when attempting a trip while armed? Or should I attempt trips with weapons specifically designed for it, like a guisarme, halberd, flail, or any of the other weapons in the handbook that state they can be used to make trip attempts?

If all else fails, should I just stick to using reach weapons to trip if I really want to trip and avoid AoO's?

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

No, and yes?

I mean, no you don't provoke an AoO if tripping without the feat while armed, but yes you provoke AoOs unarmed without the feat, but not with the feat? Its like any other unarmed attack - you provoke an AoO unless you take the relevant feat to not provoke an AoO.

3. RedPhalkon

RedPhalkon Cat 1 / Sor 1

Oh, I see. By default, when you are armed you do not provoke an attack of opportunity when tripping, but when unarmed you do, unless you get Improved Trip to avoid it. Either way you benefit from Improved Trip by getting a +4.

Do you run the risk of being tripped during your trip attempt if you fail the opposed strength check?

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, the feat doesn't claim to do anything like that, so I'll say no - you can still get tripped back (and you can't drop your weapon to avoid it, like in PnP). BUT you should get a free hit at the guy on the ground if you win.

I'ev certainly tripped folks back who tried to trip me with the feat.

5. RedPhalkon

RedPhalkon Cat 1 / Sor 1

Ok, cool. I'm starting my first ever run through of ToEE, using modpack 5.5.0 beta, and I want to make a somewhat dastardly fighter who uses a keen falchion and might trip you and ruin your world. Hopefully he'll be my primary up-front damage dealer with the capability of taking some foes completely out of combat for a round.

6. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I've had super success with a monk tripper. Get your cleric to enlarge him, for some reason size does matter!

7. RedPhalkon

RedPhalkon Cat 1 / Sor 1

Sure, good idea. Since tripping involves a strength check enlarge person would help out.

In fact, why not throw in a bull's strength along with it? Since the strength bonus from enlarge person is a size bonus and the bull's strength bonus is an enhancement bonus (i think), they should stack.

Maybe I'll try it against that hill giant, that'd be fun!

8. Zagig

Zagig Member

The other reason enlarge person works when tripping is that the attacker gets a +4 bonus for every size category above Medium, according to RAW. Not sure if that's in TOEE, though.

Also, could someone list which weapons in TOEE can be used to trip with? I'm trying to use a bard and reach weapons to trip with but the whip I wanted isn't in the game and I don't know what else to use. Suggestions?

9. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

In ToEE, any weapon can be used for tripping. Just go to your radial menu.

10. Zagig

Zagig Member

Any weapon? I didn't realize that. I was going by PnP rules which limit tripping to certain weapons and unarmed strikes. So, I can give the bard a longspear (to give him reach) and try to trip evey attack with it? that should be a decent replacement for the whip.

11. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

You can do that. But I hope your bard is strong or he will be spending a lot of time on the ground prone.

Too bad that the Holy Ranseur is not a guisarme. The latter is a tripping weapon whereas the former is for disarming (which, as we know, is not doable in ToEE).

Our Host!