Monks

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Necroticpus, Jul 7, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

It is my personal, professional opinion that after playing a power monk up to 11th level so far, that they are weaker that any other character class in the game, except perhaps the bard. I've mastered the game with the normal power party many times over so decided to play through with nothing but hybrids, a monk, paladin, bard, druid and sorcerer. Maybe I'm not using him right or something, but I don't think so. He's had a 28 or 29 AC since 7th or 8th level. He doesn't get hit a whole lot but he he don't hit very hard with a 15 strength and 19 dexterity. Where have the real monks gone? The ones that could fall from any height and take no damage ever as long as they were within 5 feet of the wall/cliff and the signature, the dreaded, the great equalizer...Quivering Palm.

2. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Do a topic search on "monks". I know there were some issues/improvements/problems/etc for this class. Sorry, can't be of more help, really don't use the class myself.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

We added Abundant Step to the game (you need the Monk's Belt to use it) and in KotB monks level >= 4 can indeed safely fall distances while climbing while all around them take damage.

'Cause, you know, monks are the best!

4. Zagig

Zagig Member

Monks are absolutely the best class. I've played 4 monks over the years (2 in 1st edition, now 2 in 3.5) and I've always liked them. Unfortunately, the game removes one of the, I feel, best abilities of the monk and that is grappling. I play a monk in a 3.5 campaign right now, and he has the same problem in that he can't hit anything. But, when he tries to grapple, he rocks. Usually, the touch AC (which is all you need to hit to grab someone) is pretty low on most NPCs, the Improved Grapple feat gives you +4 to grapple (which makes up for low strength), and he can do lethal damage while grappling, or pin the guy so his allies can hit him (which is usually what happens in our campaign). Plus, usually your NPC can't use his weapon while grappling. His speed and a high Tumble skill allow him to move to the commanders, or leaders, or perhaps a mage, so there's not always a lot of people around him when he grapples, either (gotta watch out for those AoO's).
    But, like I say, the game removes all of that.

5. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

If you look at your other characters, they are probably loaded with magic items, while your monk could still be naked. Last play through my 1/2orc monk had the most kills, better than fighter, barbarian, cleric or sorcerer. My have a pair of Kamas, which I enchanted to +2, then bought him a belt of STR. Only other item he had was the ring of freedom, and a hand me down ring of protection +1. He was a killing machine, and with his high AC, he never seemed to get hit.

6. realmzmaster

realmzmaster Established Member

If you manage the feats, skills, armor and weapons properly you can make some pretty efficient monk killing machines. But that can be said for all classes even the bard. The decision is what to enhance given your number of skill points. Also note that not all responses are available when talking to an NPC. It depends on how high your skills are in Bluff, Diplomancy, Gather Information, and Intimidate. You have micro-manage your party to have a member good in each of the skills.

Actually a rogue is a good choice to get high in Bluff, Intimidate and Gather Information. Nothing funnier that watching a halfling rogue intimidate an NPC.

But carefully care and feed your monk, you will be greatly rewarded. Has any tried a halfling monk?

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I did, back when there were only halfling singhams. Eh! :shrug:

There is nothing that monks do better than other classes. I think it's a personal preference.

I routinely use monk levels with my mages and sorcerors. A couple of levels of monk also work well in kensai. (2mon/2rog/xftr + 2ran or 2barb)

Monks can easily have they highest ac class in the game. And female monks are fun to look at when they do that axe kick. :eyebrow:

8. Emirkol the Chaotic

I think this statement is just a little opinionated here. :roll: :poke:

9. RavingFrenzy

RavingFrenzy Member

The Monk should do well with his improved fist qualities, though it really shines at Epic level when you throw a D20 for anything from a headbutt to an axe kick. 13th level gives you SR which is sweet, Monks still have the best save progression in the game which is pretty key especially for friendly fire.

Necroticpus, have you been using Flurry of Blows? At 11t level you get Greater. That's 4 attacks in a round and three of them are at your max BAB. Since each strike is a d10 that can do some damage compared to a normal single strike. Lawful fist works well against the Chaotic beings in the game but really the Improved Evasion makes the monk worth being used to protect your Rogue, as does a Ranger or sneaky Barbarian. 16th level is when the monk truly shines, having SR, immunities, Quivering Palm, Adamantine fists (Gotta be impressed if someone can punch Wolverine and it can break HIS bones!) and the Abundant Step. I don't think Improved Disarm is in ToEE? I am not sure, but I always use that effectively with my not-so-good monk chick. I disarmed a paladin several times, making him waste 2 turns at a time to get is weapon back while I called shot for his head.

Called Shot is missing from the game, with a Power attack it can be a clincher for most melee.

In my actual games I have seen monk work very well with sorceror. Personally I have a Druid20/Monk4/Tattooed Monk3, and I will tell you guys something. It is funny and effective when a halfling rogue intimidates an NPC. But when a hobbity druid Wildshapes into a dragon of his choice at Huge size and begins to throw 3 or 4d8 bites and claws I kinda of regret not taking Flurry,, but Decisive Strike is still effective when used properly. Another great benefit is a Druid can just make the wall if there isn't one! Free fall and Stone Shape or cast Wall of Fire, etc. He earned his right to be a Monk by judo-throwing a Hillgiant in his "Initiation" which is why I took Improved Grapple and Clever Wrestling. Since it is a dragon slaying campaign being able to use a +10 grapple as a Halfling against a Wyrm is downright cheeky. Fit right between the teeth or fingers! Totally makes up for a 12 in Str but letting a dragon swallow you isn't a bad idea either when Elemental and Dragon shapes are at your command. No Chaos Dragon wants a Sapphire Crystal Dragon to suddenly erupt in his esophagus ya'know? XD

10. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

I have noticed an increase in his performance since hitting 11th level. He gets 5 attacks and most of the time they hit and sometimes even crit for 20-25 or so damage. I don't have him using any weapons right now but may try them if they don't take away too many attacks per round. There is no doubt though that he can absolutely move the farthest out of anyone in the party.

11. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

If you give him one of the special monk weapons (kamas are the usual choice) he will keep the same number of attacks. In fact, he can dual-wield kamas for +1 extra attack (+2 w/ Imp. TWF.) Kamas crafted w/ Holy, Axiomatic, Frost, etc are the way to go if you want him to damage demons and others w/ DR.

12. Greylan

Greylan Established Member

Yep, a monk with TWF using monk weapons becomes a blender of enlightened destruction. :)

13. Emirkol the Chaotic

I want that tattooed on my thigh! :thumbsup:

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

That statement was a link, for anyone who missed it. Notice that most of the posters in that thread have since been banned - never forget how civilised we are at Co8 compared to other places, where a monk discussion would instantly melt the server.

And I think Zagig is right about the grappling.

15. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

My tat says "Peace through enlightened destruction!". :thumbsup:

No wait! Maybe it's "Enlightenment through peaceful destruction!"...

Our Host!