Overpowered Items

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Jun 29, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

In the interest of 'delicate rebalancement,' can members who have an opinion please list any items added to ToEE by Co8 that they feel are clearly overpowered? So far the 'cloud's sword' thing is gone from the shopmap, Excalibur has been removed from the list of things the woodcutter will sell you, and Ted has said he may remove the firearm from among the witch gal's rewards when the Moathouse Respawn mod gets delicately rebalanced for high level adventure.

Any others? Please post them here for consideration.

I would tend to think that these items should be limited to:

1. Troika items that were not actually in the vanilla game but that Co8 slipped in surreptitiously - [cloud's sword] (i.e., anything that Troika created and did put in should stay)
    2. Any overpowered Co8-created items - [firearm]

2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Silver No-Daichi.

3. Gaear

I'm not particularly well-informed when it comes to D&D weaponry, so please make a case for your claim as well.

"Item x is overpowered because ..."
    "A more reasonable item of this sort for this level would be ..."

That sort of thing. Also bear in mind that Co8 expansion stuff will be geared toward level 10+ in the future, so that badass axiomatic-glistening-keen-edge-barbarian-rage-holy-handaxe-of-ogre-slaughtering +15-with-special-bonus-fireball-damage-and-automatic-can't-miss-answering-silver-ultimateness that might not work in Hickory Branch at level 5 might be better suited at level 12, don't you know.

Thanks.

4. Euangelion

Euangelion Member

Okay, a +5 silver keen two-handed weapon sword should not be on sale for 455 gp (or something like that). Thus the Silver No-Daichi is over-powererd.

Also, in general, I know that WOTC tried very hard in 3.5 edition to avoid a weapon that naturally had both a wider threat range for critical hits beyond a natural 20 and a critical modifier of x3 or higher. Thus if one found a weapon like the Sharrash (or something like that) in the Eberron Campaign Setting that had both a critical range of 18-20 and a critical modifier of x4, it was erratted to simply x2. Anything like that was seen as too powerful (or as some have argued, too much fun.)

Of course, there's no reason that we can't push the envelope a bit, at least, but maybe keep them to no more than 19-20/x3. Such a thing helps to keep the Improved Critical feat relevant.

5. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

i'm not familiar with the silver nodachi myself, but a +5 keen silver weapon should cost somewhere in the vicinity of 72500gp by my calculations (which are often way off!)

6. Gaear

Robes of Midnight

New description by me based on stats in protos.tab (previous just said +2 to wisdom):

Overpowered?

7. SharkD

SharkD Established Member

Is the invisibility a once-per-day type of thing? If so, you should mention it.

-Mike

8. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

nerf them as much as you want to.

9. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Technically, no (maybe slightly, with that 10 hide), but it's definitely a major item.
    Something like that of powerful would make sense to be found on Hedrack's chest. And should be his more valuated possession.

I never noted it grants invisibility. These robes are ranging on the Robes of stars kind of items.

Now, i don't want to do a straight attack on Dogboy, but...most of his stuff is overpowered (even if there's logic behind them), if we consider that can be bought, and easily found. Not RAW also. I'll take it from his little knowledge at that moment. :)

So, or they stats can be lowered, or leave it as they are but place them as high level treasure, and only one of each available in the game.
    Since Cuj took a lot of work on them, i would prefer some of them as regular, lowered items, and others kept as major stuff.

The no-dachi is totally overpowered for this game for example. It could be a +2 silver or keen no-dachi. I suggest keeping the silver property, since keen can be achieved by the feat or crafting.

Marauder and Gladiator armor are brutally overpowered and not RAW. But they add to variety, so it would be cool to have them de-powered and make them available often.
    They're light armor, with almost no penalty, and too much AC bonus. Also, they're easily available as masterwork items which means they're almost always enhanced.

The Tatoos are overpowered if they're found in Nulb as easily as they are. But having Senshock doing them on Verbonic, it wouldn't be that hard to believe. It would be cool to have lesser tattoos.
    Tattoos aren't RAW, but they're utterly cool.
    There's not an exact rule, but there are some tattoos on other settings that can be used as model.

The gun is undisputedly the most overpowered weapon in the game. But is fun! :D

10. Gaear

Let's have some specific figures on this stuff. I'm not a D&D stats guy, so I have no idea what would be appropriate.

As near as I can tell from protos.tab, it functions like a ring of invisibility. Because the property is called 'ring of invisibility.'

11. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Well at this point, i'm not sure what's in there.

Could we have a list?
    So the rule gurus can make appropiate suggestions. Players too.

Yep.
    Pretty much how it works.

12. Gaear

List of what, HK? The Robes of Midnight details are listed above.

13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

This IS the list, H_K ;)

I've seen tattoos in one of the additional books I have, I will try to post something soon.

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Can't believe I have to kick this along :yawn: I am sure there are lots of folks here who could contribute.

Gaear: the stuff like the simple Tattoos (intimidate bonus) or the corset (diplomacy bonus for hooters), if reduced to a +2 bonus, would cost about 50gp, as they would approximate a 'masterwork tool' for using a skill.

The Marauder and Gladiator armour, from the perspective of giving +5 bonuses to a skill, would approximate 2500gp for this alone, with additional costs for the armour requirement (inasmuch as they have a better AC+Dex bonus than normal): compare mithral armour or something else that gives similar bonuses. Or make them +2 for the skills as well.

Tha magic tatts (which for memory boost AC) would approximate the cost of an amulet of natural armour (2,000 gp (+1), 8,000 gp (+2), 18,000 gp (+3)) then the skill bonuses on top of that.

15. Gaear

Thank you Ted. I think I'll reduce in most cases as per your recommendations and raise the prices of the magical tattoos.

Our Host!