Does magic items with +stats count for bonus spells and requirements?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by gravethrasher, Jun 27, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. gravethrasher

gravethrasher Member

Kind of unlucky with my rolls on my 1st ironman attemt (on normal for precautionary hardware/bug/saving reason though :p) and got a wizard with 12 in int, and a cleric with 12 in wis, will they be able to cast/memorize or even learn higher lvl spells if they get items with + int wis?

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

With stats of 12, you're wasting your time pretty much. Ironman never has worked right. Headbands and Amulets +6 give lots of bonus's but you need high stats to get the full benefits. With an intelligence of 18 and a Headband of Itellect+6 gives a score of 24 and a lot of bonus spells. Same thing for the Amulet of Wisdom+6. High stats are needed for the higher level spells and how many you get.

3. vampiricpuppy

vampiricpuppy cuddly nosferatu

if you are intending to continue with that party, then i would recommend definitely getting at least +3 to int for the wizard and +3 wis for the cleric, as this will allow both of them to cast level 5 spells.

Currently, they'll max out at level 2 spells.

of course, the buff spells required to craft such stat enhancing items are generally lvl 2 spells :D so grab craft wondrous item for one of them and get them owls wisdom and fox's cunning spells.

4. maalri

maalri Immortal

I have played Ironman a few times- although I did it "altered"

If I didn't LIKE the stats the Ironman rolled- I didn't continue making the character. On average you can get a GOOD set of stats- not Overpowered, but not too weak either- in 5 rolls or less.

I agree with VP on the +3, BUT remember you will get to ADD 2 points to Stats by the time you can cast 5th level spells, so you can easily start with a +2 on your main class Stat.

5. gravethrasher

gravethrasher Member

Ahh good point didnt consider that.

Anyway tnx for the replies nice to know it works

Game crashed pretty early on so Ive reinstalled/patched and ran some test and off to a second try, but Ive started over with a even worse party. After alot of playing pnp with alot of power gamers you kind of see alot of the same build trends over and over. Its like if parents could reroll their babys they all would start to look the same :p Opens up a new world of consumable reliance and alot of emergency planning and alot more fun. But then again I could be tearing my hair off after a vicious fight with the hommel goblin. Ive played to the second level of the temple and Im expecting it to be really hard, expecially even a high lvl party wipes if they get 1 aoe attack on em.

Our Host!