No dragons?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by wizgeorge, Mar 30, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Would it not be even easier to just make the Ice lizards bigger, changed stats/abilities, hey presto White dragon!

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Humm. The icelizards are just basically small white dragons with the coneofcold breath weapon. I can see the potential there. Interesting.

3. Jota

Jota Member

mmh.. Ice Lizards where can i found one of does?

4. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

I have never seen a Giant Frog or Sea Hag at Emyrid's Meadow.

Are you talking about Emyrid's Meadow or Run?

I am confused by this.

Are you refering to the same place where the Multi-colored rock is?

This kind of concerns me because I have done some scripting at this location, and didn't account for frogs or a sea hag... so I am not sure if we are talking about the same place...

- Livonya

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I'm so ashamed . . .

This was in reference to the "Stuka Divebomber" and was said in jest.

Sorry if I wasted any of your time.

(btw, I meant the river near Nulb where Grud Squinteye sends you.)

6. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Stukas, etc...

...One never knows where their musings might bring all of this, friend Gaear, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Ice Lizards dwell in the water node...
    Imeryd's run is the water course where the Sea Hag lives...
    Emridy Meadows is the home of the Hill Giant & pet bear...(rainbow rock).

Hope this clears the confusion a little. FYI, Imeryd's Run was not in the original T1-4 module, but it makes a great adjunct.

7. Allyx

Anyway, back to the dragon idea, Please correct me if i'm wrong but I assume it is possable to make th ice lizard bigger, I mean there are regular trolls and "the littlest troll" which I again assume is using the same grafics just scaled down, the enlarge person/reduce person spells work pretty darn well too, and it seems livonya, firestrand and dulcaoin have fixed the npc's using cone shaped spell effects, so if someone would like to spawn dragon's into the game I'm all for it, how about adding a new quest into the game whereby someone needs you to fetch something from an abandoned excavation site (using the tutorial maps) that has become home to a fight of dragons of various sizes and ages?

8. Kespoosh

Kespoosh Member

I think people would get a little bored of "a flight of dragons" that are all the same lizard model but at different sizes. There should be one dragon in an area like that, two at a maximum if it has offspring. Oversized ice lizards sound like a good idea, I'll have to go back to the Water Node and check them out.

9. wizgeorge

It seems that a lot of breath weapon-like effects are already in the game. Fireball, cone of cold, acid spitting fungi, yellowmold musk, etc. How difficult would it be to put in an over-sized icelizard with a color change? Major hassle or possible?

10. Firestrand

Firestrand Member

Yes, changing the color is a piece of cake. Making it larger should be possible, although I don't know the exact enlargement scheme, it's probably just a proto field. I don't know how well it will look though, there isn't much detail in the graphics. If someone is really interested, start a thread in the modding section.

Kespoosh is right though, they would all look the same, except for color.

Things that would need to be done:
    Clone Ice Lizard art to Dragon type
    New protos entry for Dragon type
    Try out the new dragon.

I suggest that a dragon only appear underground somewhere, that way the fact that it doesn't fly isn't a problem, and it shouldn't be too big.

-Firestrand

11. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Well...

...they do sort of hover. How much more difficult would it be to make them have an AI that moves them around on the screen? Some dragons speak, while others do this AND use spells...

*Green dragon with druidic spell ability casts entangle and then uses breath weapon*

Add some conversation options, give some of them spell ability...even add new map areas and or quests (...or riddles), and it's a whole new ball game!

All this makes me wonder if the hydra couldn't be made into a pyro or cryo genic version for added fun as well...

Last edited: Apr 3, 2005
  12. Martinius

Martinius Member

Buffet attack - should be like the effects from an improved trip, resulting from the dragon beating its wings. Should this work OK?

13. Allyx

using morpheus' arena mod, and a modified ice lizard line in protos I've made a white dragon but encountered a few problems with it, the bigger you make the ice lizard, the higher up they are from the ground characters look like they can't reach it, and vice versa, I haven't found a way to make it make double damage from failed saves vs fire. Other than that it works fine!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2005
  14. wizgeorge

Would an enlarged Icelizard, changed to red, and a scorching ray breath weapon be an acceptable red dragon?

15. Allyx

I'm not sure how to change the colour of the graphic model, any model for that fact, but if it were possible to change that, It should be possible to also change the graphic for cone of cold to make it look like a firery cone, a modified 'cone of cold' per se. The white dragon I've tested quite a lot, the monsters manual say's that adult white dragons cast spells as a 1st level sorcerer, one of them almost killed my ranger outright with 3 ray's of enfeeblement, another was trying in vain to hurt Oohlgrist with burning hands, and the third was laying into Scorrp with 6 natural attacks per round!

Our Host!