Should St. Cuthbert and Iuz cast spells?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Livonya, Mar 30, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Savonarollo

Savonarollo Member

I killed Luz yesterday and he had about 385 HP.

2. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Iuz...

...is a demi-god. He is a Cambion, the offspring of a human sorceress (Iggwilv) and a Demon Lord (...some say Orcus). He can take two forms; that of a short, wizened old man...or a huge, ogrish demon. He possesses all of the standard divine abilities possessed by Demi-gods in addition to his character levels. His spit alone is enough to incapacitate most characters...Iuz can be killed, it just isn't something that should be done easily if it is ever done at all.

Additional info:

Iuz, the old, is the patron of wickedness. He rules a portion of the Flanaess named after him, holding court in the capitol city of Dorakaa where he plots the conquest and dominion of the entire Oerth. Iuz's wickedness and treachery are infamous throughout the Flanaess, and few creatures living outside his domain even speak his name let alone venerate him. There is great personal enmity between Iuz and St. Cuthbert. Ceremonies venerating Iuz include foul smelling incense or burning dung, the banging of great drums, gongs, or bells. Blood sacrifices are often part of rituals. Altars are usually of bone, and include many skulls. Services to Iuz are held in ancient, filthy, and dark places.

Clerics of Iuz are as cold blooded and malevolent as their deity. They dress in black (their master's favorite color) or blood stained white. All clerics of Iuz are dedicated trophy hunters, taking souvenirs from their defeated foes. A cleric's status is partially determined by the number of trophies in their collection, particularly skulls.

3. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

well if he had that many they beefed him up some then cause thats not whats under his discription. course it appears that in the game he doesnt have his cape cause that is what gives him the 65% MR, in the game he only has 25% and ive never seen him use any of his special attacks.

4. Lord_Spike

Beefing up...

...ought to be more than extra HP, IMO. The spittle would be cool if it could be implemented somehow, and would go a long way to making him tougher. Then, of course, so would the '...Finger of Death, at will, usable once per round..."

5. darmagon

darmagon stumbler in the dark

Yes. Definitely they should cast spells. It makes no sense that they shouldn't cast spells given that they should have the ability. As far as the HP discussion, in the 1st edition module T1-4 St. Cuthbert is listed as having 224 hp and Iuz as having 165 hp. In the third edition Deities and Demigods St. Cuthbert has 1000 hp. Which I think is a more sensible number as far as TOEE goes (he is a god after all.) There is no entry for Iuz in that book but I imagine his hp would be similarly increased in the 3/3.5 edition. This would be in keeping with the general power increase for almost all monsters etc. in the 3rd edition. HP's increases were largely a result of assigning ability scores to monsters and applying the constitution bonus that applied. This was not done in the 1st edition nor I think in the 2nd edition (2nd edition kinda messed everything up without fixing anything IMHO. I didn't really pay much attention to it. 3/3.5 edition however rocks.)

In short I think Iuz and Cuthbert should be made to be as difficult to defeat as they would be in a pnp game with a good DM. This would mean, I suppose, that they would have to have abilities better than those they have in the pnp game in order to compensate for the fact that their actions are scripted and not dictated by an intelligent DM who would be able to adjust their actions according to the actions of the players.

Anyway that is my $0.02....

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Just a quick note, I was fighting Hedrack, Iuz comes along, and I start laying into them with everything I have, St Cuthbert shows up, Iuz heals/animates the dead, St Cuthbert heals/raises me, then that cheeky little blighter Iuz critically hit my hardest fighter for 85hp before disapearing! I'm gonna try again to knock him off for that!

7. Martinius

Martinius Member

Iuz is the son of Graz'zt not Orcus. And yes, he should be able to cast spells as a demi-god.

8. Lord_Spike

Some say...

...Orcus; others say Graz'zt.

I'm going by the reference material I have at my disposal; all 1st edition. Your account is accurate based on later publications.

My guess is that evil b!+(c)# Iggwilv couldn't say who the father is, as she was consorting with so many demons...it's difficult to say!

9. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

yeah thats what my book says too Lord Spike. it refers to him as a cambion and that his consort is Zuggtmoy who holds a soul object of his so he is without fear of permant harm.

10. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

For higher skilled players who know how to play at the higher levels, then deity and demigod involvement is okay. Unless the game is to be extended to 14+ and too include that kind of material, fine, do it. After many hints and tips I finally was able to kill Iuz and demoness and get the ending. It took me countless hours of gameplay for weeks to get to that point. I still think that deity level involvement should only be at the highest levels. Right now, I'm not a skilled enough game player to do that. 10th level, no. 14th level+, okay.

Our Host!