I can re-equip NPCs only once?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Florian, Jun 11, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Florian

Florian Member

This game is trying my patience, even with the patches from Atari and the valiant Circle. Little bug after little bug. Now there's a big bug.

Zert and Zaxis were willing to sell me their starting gear and take better gear, but now they won't allow me to upgrade them a second time. They won't drop the equipment I want to replace, and when I talk to them my only option is, "Hey man, make sure you don't drop any of that gear you're already refusing to drop."

Any help would be appreciated.

2. bellack

bellack Member

I also noticed that the Cleric Hireking (forget his name) that you can get in the church does not even have the option to buy his starting gear. I'm almost at the point to just use 8 PC's (adjusting the PC options in options of coarse.

3. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Once you buy their equipment you can usually change it with out asking.
    They won't drop items they loot.
    Ronald dosen't trust you at first.
    If they are killed you can empty their backpacks also.

4. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Are you using the "Humble NPC's" option from the FE tool bar?

Go to that menu, (before starting/restarting a game) click "Humble NPC's" and you'll be able to swap/change/steal their gear with no problem.

Without "Humble NPC's" checked, they'll act like you described which is their default behaviour. This was a Co8 modification for the NPC's.

5. Florian

Florian Member

Hugh,

The gear I am trying to remove is gear that I gave them, not that they looted.

Emirkol,

That "humble NPCs" thing is more than I'm looking for. I'm not trying to rob the NPCs, just get them to accept upgrades. It sounds like it should fix my problem, though. Thanks.

I just find it hard to believe that the original game allowed you to change NPCs' gear once, but then never again. That's amazingly stupid.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
  6. Florian

Florian Member

Wait, where do I find this "Humble NPCs" option? I don't see anything like that on the Front End screen.

7. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Top left toolbar "options". Check the humble_npc box and your good to go. Maybe try max hp also. Works good.

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Actually the original game was much worse than that. The part you described is a Co8 mod by Livonya that was done for some (but not all) NPCs. It does work properly, but you have to manipulate it properly. I can't remember the particulars atm, since I normally use Humble NPCs these days. That's really been shown to be the best option over the years, all things considered.

There is a variant of Humble NPCs in development by Ted, you might call it 'Smarter Humble NPCs,' wherein they won't give up important gear (e.g. Thrommel won't let you take Scather) but they won't hang onto every pair of socks like it was their most prized posession either. That will hopefully be released in the next mod.

9. Florian

Florian Member

I checked "Humble NPCs," and I am still having the same problem. Zert refuses to drop the armor I gave him last time.

10. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

Did the die after you gave them the gear because I think when they get resurected they think that all the stuff on them is now theirs and won't give it up.

11. Florian

Florian Member

I don't think he's died. At least, not in this game save. I resurrected him once and found that he had become invisible, and I couldn't do anything with him, so I went back to a previous save and refought the battle.

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I am not sure you can change this current incarnation of Humble NPCs after the game starts: I forget why, but I made note of this a while back when it appeared to not be working. If you start with it off or on, once NPCs are created they will be in that state.
    After he has travelled with you long enough to level up, he will trust you enough to sell all his gear and if you have a decent Appraise score you can even barter with him.

Otherwise, we can't write dialogue for every possible variant form of equipment people may or may not have. So they will only give up their starting stuff: they won't give up anything else they regard as 'theirs'. Its a deficiency to be sure: it will be corrected in the next incarnation of Humble NPCs.

13. wizgeorge

With humble you should be able to transfer anything in an npc's inventory to a pc and have them use/sell it. Npc's can buy their own stuff and it goes against the main pc pot. I use Fruella as a "mule" just to carry loot. You can do most anything with humble_npc. It's great.

14. Florian

Florian Member

So Zert and Zaxis are just stuck with their current gear, huh. That's going to be a problem.

15. wizgeorge

You should be able to move Zert and Zaxis stuff by selecting the item and dragging it to a pc with openings in their inventory. If that doesn't work then there is a problem. Quit your game and come back up to tfe-x and check that humble is checked. Quit and restart your computer. If it still wont transfer items, I guess you're stuck with it.

Our Host!