Wasted feat - can I do something about it?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Messiah, May 22, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Messiah

Messiah Member

Hello there.

I have a dwarf fighter in my party, and I gave him a totally useless feat: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Dwarven Waraxe).
    Since it showed among the options, I thought I had to pick in order to use the dwarven waraxe as a 1-handed weapon. After all, the game has already many problems, I wouldn't doubt it wouldn't have included the Weapon Familiarity dwarves have with that weapon.

So, can I erase it somehow, and then replace it with another (useful) feat? Even if I have to download some software in order to do it, I'm willing to do anything to change this feat.

2. Greylan

Greylan Established Member

You could hex edit it, but I've found editing feats in and out with a hex editor can sometimes cause instabilities.

An easier way to do it would be to create a new, identical dwarf fighter, add him to the group via the book in the Welcome Wench, then console up his xp and select your feats with more care.

Your best bet is just to finish the game as is, editing and consoling can make an unstable save pretty quickly. You could just RP it away, "The Dwarf was an orphan raised by human parents who couldn't tell one end of a dwarven axe from the other."

3. Messiah

Messiah Member

Thanks Greylan.

I actually got pretty mad at this - really, I'm quite angry.

I could easily RP it away - this dwarf travels and lives among elves (he has two companions that are elves, and one half-elf), he is chaotic and had problems with the other dwarves.

But I don't like at all wasting a feat like that. If he already could use the dwarven waraxe, it shouldn't even show in the options of weapons to get the proficiency feat for.
    He's a fighter after all, and that's the big advantage he has: feats.

If I do what you said, make an identical dwarf and then give him XP, what are the chances the game will crash or something like that? Could I end up only experiencing problems because of that later on in the game? I'm still at level 3, so if I have problems before I reahc level 5 and then I have to create a new party, no big problem, but if I find some weird bug when I'm about to finish the game, I would probably buy myself a dwarven waraxe and cut my computer in very small cubes.

4. oudeis

oudeis Member

If you are really in love with the name you came up with for your dwarf, you can ceate an identically named character from the book in the WW. You won't have any problems so long as you remove the old one before you add the new one in (remember to either give his stuff to someone else or drop it somewhere you can see it all first). You can say that they were cousins, hence the identical name ;) . In previous games I've changed out most of my party this way before without any problems. Otherwise, just create a new fighter with the correct feats and add him in. For a little RP authenticity, start him at first level, give him his predecessor's stuff or buy him good gear, and after every battle give him bonus XP equal to what he earned during the encounter until he's more or less caught up with the rest of the party. After all, if he's travelling with more experienced adventurers he's bound to be able to learn from their tutoring, right?

Last edited: May 22, 2009
  5. Greylan

Greylan Established Member

Well anything is possible, but I doubt you'd experience problems later in the game due to this change. What I've found is that the more consoling you do, the more likely you are to corrupt your game. So if you add in your identical dwarf fighter, just use the console once and once only to give him the correct amount of XP, don't console in all the items he had, just pass them down from whoever is holding his stuff.

Good luck!

Our Host!