Standard Action: Aid Another

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by miller360, May 21, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. miller360

miller360 Member

The standard action "Aid Another" is listed in the TOEE manual on page 109, yet I haven't figured out how to pull that action off in the actual game. Is it applied automatically if you don't take a standard action, then end your turn next to an ally? Or was it one of those things that made it into the manual but not into the game that you run into now and then with rushed games?

On a side note: For being a rather small forum (activity and member wise) I have, thus far, found a lot of swift, well informed support with my TOEE inquires. So to all that have contributed to answering my questions, as well to the forum hosts and the programmers of the CO8 mod and the others still hard at work developing new content and continuing to dispatch the troublesome bugs that still plague this wonderful game, I give a great big thank you.

2. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Aid another, IIRC is to stabilize a PC or NPC who's at zero or negative HP (but not -10Hp which is DEAD). This stops the 1Hp/round bleeding that eventually leads to PC/NPC death.

You'd have to be next to or very near the person in need of aid, then you'd select it from the radial menu, again, IIRC.

3. miller360

miller360 Member

On page 109 of the TOEE manual:

"Aid Another: In combat, you can help a friend attack or defend by distracting or interfering with opponents. You select a friendly target and that target gains a +2 bonus to his attack roles until your next turn. You can also use this action to wake a friend under the influence of a sleep spell."

4. Emirkol the Chaotic

Well, there you go. I did say, IIRC. So I was incorrect. ;)

The inexcusable part is that my own ToEe manual is less than 10 feet away from me. :doh:

5. miller360

miller360 Member

And yet, I still am unsure of how to use this action as per my original post.

Anybody ever use this, or know if it was even programmed into the game? It sounds like a really useful option to have when stuck in tight corridors and not all of your tanks can reach their targets with melee attacks (so far I haven't liked ranged combat, missing WAY too much to be an efficient, effective attack).

By the way (possible dumb question approaches) what does IIRC stand for?

6. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

If I recall correctly, IIRC stands for: I'm in REAL Chicago. (Not one of the 'burbs) ;)

7. Messiah

Messiah Member

I was asking myself the same thing.
    Thanks.

I have never seen the aid another action in the game.
    Besides that, I've never used that in pen-and-paper D&D too, so I don't think I miss it much.
    What I miss is grapple. But the game is pretty similar to the core D&D rules, they even have the Ready action, which is the best action ever.

8. miller360

miller360 Member

Yeah, I really do love the combat system in this game and how true it is to the core 3.5 rules. No video game that I have played before or since has implemented the AD&D rule set so successfully. I really wish that some studio would've built off of it. It is really quite amazing how many periods of evolution and devolution there are in video games.

Where's the fake Chicago, then?

9. Messiah

Messiah Member

I couldn't put it in better words.
    It's a shame that they didn't make dozens of games using this same system, or similar ones. I was thinking of it some minutes before I read your post. I have played Neverwinter Nights, Baldur's Gate (I and II and expansions), Icewind Dale (I and II) and none of them has such a good combat system. I think one of the main problems is that all of them have real-time combat - with isn't that bad, but makes it feel a lot less D&D, takes away part of the fun in battles. They also usually don't have that many in-battle actions (trip attacks, feint, etc) nor stuff like flanking, flat-footing, etc.
    Especially, if I recall correctly, none of them has the Ready action, which is the most strategic action ever, a must-use-right in pen-and-paper D&D.

10. GuardianAngel82

The 'burbs.

11. Messiah

Messiah Member

Can we wake fellow PCs who fell for sleep spells in TOEE?

12. miller360

miller360 Member

I completely agree. Gods, I love the five foot step in this game. It is absolute heaven for my Rouge and spear wielding Druid. I agree that grapple would have been the icing on the cake, though.

13. Emirkol the Chaotic

Low, GA, very low. :no: Don't rub it in! :cry:

14. GuardianAngel82

"I in REAL Chicago." It's all I could think of without really thinking. :blank:

I'm a nice guy. I don't kick people when they're down. I kick them UNTIL they're down. :yes:

15. oudeis

oudeis Member

I'm a Chicago (suburbanite) who moved up to the big city before ending up in Denver a while back. Where do you live?

Our Host!