Crafting itens

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Messiah, May 21, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Messiah

Messiah Member

My party reached third level and I thought it was time to get the Craft Wondrous Itens feat.

Who's better with it, the cleric or the wizard?
    The cleric already knows all divine spells, so I think he applies for more itens, right?
    Or the best itens can only be made by wizards?
    Can a wizard make an item that has as a prerequisite a spell that he doesn't know, but has on a scroll? (My wizard is an Evoker and has Enchantment and Necromancy as prohibited schools, so there are some spells she'll never get)

Do you guys think it's important to have the Brew Potion feat?

What are the prerequisites to make magic weapons and armor (besides the proper feat)?

Is there a chance my char will fail to craft the item and simply lose the gold and XP?

PS: I'm using the Co8 Modpack and everything.

Last edited: May 21, 2009
  2. Groo the Ambler

Groo the Ambler Loot the Rot Grubs

You can't fail at crafting, and you can't craft from scroll spells.

Any class that gains Craft Weapons and Armor at minimum level can make a +1 weapon from a masterwork item, and add more pluses at higher levels, along with special attributes. Clerics, Druids, and Wizards can all make flaming weapons, but only a Cleric with the Good Domain can make a Holy weapon.

For Craft Wondrous Item, it depends on what you want. Items that raise attribute scores are always nice, and Clerics are best for these but can't make all of them. I like a Rogue PC to have a Vest of Escape, which only a Wizard can make.

3. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Both have pros and cons. It all comes down to the spells they know, not on any scrolls they may have, For clerics it also comes down to some of the domains as well. It's usually a good idea to have a cleric and a wizard crafter to get the best range of any needed items. But that's my opinion.

Nah. You'll find tons of potions as loot, treasure, and as purchasable items. You'll never really be in need. If you're into "protection" or "resist" type potions you may want it, but you;ll get better results crafting items with those abilities.

Lord Plothos had an entire guide on this site. A search should locate it or someone could post a link. The basic pre-requisite is that the weapons and armour MUST BE Masterwork items or already enchanted (if you buffing them up/adding new abilities).

I've never had it happen. I think if you meet all the requirements, gold, XP, feats, spells, etc. its an automatic success.

Where'd you get the "everything" from? :poke:

4. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hail Messiah !!
    I will try to answer at least some of your questions
    If you do a search you should be able to find a thread or five discussing the various crafting options. There is even a crafting guide by Lord Plothosyou can download .
    TRC

P.S. : Allyx posted a listing of the requirements for Weapon and Armor crafting in this thread.

5. Emirkol the Chaotic

Damn! Groo ninja'd me. :ninja:

My first time, too! *sniff*

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

[sidebar]

Let it be known the world over, people: the proper spelling of this word is item.

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

The proper spelling is items. ;)

8. Messiah

Messiah Member

Re: Crafting items

LOL

Sorry guys, it's a mistake I always make. English isn't my first language, you know...

Thanks for all the answers.

I saw that thread and in Allyx' post I found this:

Name EEL Effect Prerequisite
    Icy Burst +2 +1d10 (x2crit) or +2d10 (x3crit) Chill Metal or Ice Storm, level 8

That means a weapon that has a x2 critical would get a +1d10 bonus and one that has x3 would get a +2d10, right?
    (Are there no x4 weapons in the game?)

Among the alignment-based weapons, the only one I can make is the anarchic one, cause my characters (except fighter) are chaotic good, and my cleric's domains are protection and war.

Allyx doesn't say how much XP/gold is needed to craft each one. Could anyone tell me?
    Or will I have to look for my DM Guide?

Do you people think Craft Ring is a must have? And wands, are they worth making?
    At first I was thinking of having only Craft Arms and Armour and Craft Wondrous Items, but a wand is quite powerful in the hands of a wizard, and making myself the rings I want is far better than waiting for them to drop by.

PS: I found Lord Plothos' guide here: http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/temple-of-elemental-evil-43/item-crafting-guide-63635.html

The bugs he mentions (like being able to craft +3 armour for free) have been fixed in the Co8 Modpack, right?

PS: Just read Lord Plothos' guide and he states that there are only 3 craftable rods in the game, and no craftable staves and rings. Was that changed in Co8 modpack? I don't want any rod, but making rings could be cool.

PPS: Does the Co8 Modpack change anything else about crafting that I should know before making everything my characters wear?

9. Emirkol the Chaotic

Just a quick repaly thie time....

In regards to "craft rings" I'd say go for it. I use it and love it for Pretection from (insert element here) rings.

For wands, I use that too. Wands of Scorching Ray and Acid Arrow are great for taking down and finishing off trolls. (you'll thank me later on in the game, trust me!).

The XP and GP costs will appear in the actual crafting screen. If you don't have enough of either or both, certain crafting buffs will be "greyed" out. Same goes if you're not high enough level or don't know the required spell.

10. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Why waste a spell or wand on a prone troll? Just give them the CDG!

11. Messiah

Messiah Member

Looks like one of the items I want to create, Bracers of Armor, can only be crafted if I have both CA&A and CWI feats, so I think I'll just give both my casters the second one.

12. oudeis

oudeis Member

Do rings work, then? I tried searching but 'ring' gets omitted from the search because it's less than five characters and 'rings' hasn't found anything useful.

13. Emirkol the Chaotic

Yup. Both the crafting and the end results worked fine for me.

14. Emirkol the Chaotic

Really?? :twitch: :gotmyatte

I was always under the impression that a prone troll still needed to be finished off permanantly with fire or acid damage, until they reached -10HP. Otherwise "normal" damage just accumulates as subdual damage.

15. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Coup de Grace is in the radial menu for a reason - and killing trolls is the only good reason I can think of for an AoO-provoking full-turn action.

Our Host!