No dragons?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by wizgeorge, Mar 30, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

A huge, ancient red dragon named Armagednon,(my spelling), has found out his friend, the hill giant and his bear were killed by a group of lowlife mortals. He is on his way to seek revenge. Head for the hiils. Find a good place to hide.
    Are there any future plans to put a dragon in the game? How difficult would it be to put in a random encounter somewhere? Just curious.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I think it would be near-impossible, as there are no existing graphics for dragons.

3. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

We could always use a chicken model and pretend it's a dragon that has been cursed by an evil sorcerer ...

4. wizgeorge

Bummer! And I thought I had a good idea.

5. Firestrand

Firestrand Member

[Sarcastically] If only we were able to get some tool which would allow us to convert from Maya to the games graphic format.... Like WorldEd....

Sersiously though, if we could simply find a way to do the conversion, dragon models are around that could be used, and I am sure there are 3D pros who could do the animations.

-Firestrand

6. wizgeorge

I just figured that if you can have a Stuka divebomber flyby and strafe, and drop bombs, you could have dragon flyby and breath fire. I wasn't aware that type of animation wasn't available in the game. It would be nice if it did.

7. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Hm ... I never noticed the Stuka divebomber in ToEE. Is that an easter egg? ;)

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I think it was implemented but Troika never finished it due to time constraints and concerns on the part of Hasbro. It would have attacked following the battle with the sea hag and giant frogs at Emyrid's Run.

9. wizgeorge

I was comparing my MedalofHonor WW2 game to ToEE. I don't know much about computer animation, except that it is difficult, time-consuming, and very byte intensive. I know it takes a long time and lots of money to produce a 2GByte, highly animated game, like MedalofHonor and CallofDuty. ToEE is not that type of game. I just wish it were.

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

A six headed cryohydra or pyrohydra should be possable though, If your feeling sadistic you could make it learnaean too! The hydra animation is there, the anims for the breath weapons may cause a few headaches though.

11. Kespoosh

Kespoosh Member

You could just use a human avatar and say the dragon is in its human form. There would be no downsides except flashiness -- it would be impossible to make it fly anyway, everything else would be implementable (yeah yeah except wing buffet and tail slap, shut up).

12. Martinius

Martinius Member

Actually it raises an interesting questions - how easily can new monster types be added to the game?

(a) in terms of game dynamics (rules) it should be relatively easy. You need to add some new attack types though (breath weapon, wing buffet, tail slap, etc).

(b) in terms of graphics - should be possible.

Comments / ideas?

13. Firestrand

Firestrand Member

Its the graphics that are the problem. As far as I know there is no way to convert from any of the standard graphic / animation types, to the format used in ToEE. If someone knows of a way please let me know.

I believe Troika internally used Maya, and then scaled the graphics down to their own format, if only they would release that tool. I personally don't know enough about 3D graphics and mesh formats to do the conversion, if someone else does great.

After getting a way to convert to ToEE's format there are plenty of models out there, and textures aren't too difficult. Then each type of action would need to be animated, it wouldn't be easy, but it is doable.

-Firestrand

14. Jota

Jota Member

We can use the wings from the Balor, cut some heads from the hydra, and use Fruela's brain. Is there a Necromancer around?

15. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Or just make..

...the ice lizards red, and have them breathe fire.

Our Host!