Do you lose XP when you die?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by miller360, May 14, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. miller360

miller360 Member

I've been happily playing, tra la la, getting ready to take on the hill giant and his equally enormous bear (is there something going on between the two of them?) and all my characters gleefully hit level 4...all except for my Human Barbarian. Not only does she not level up but also when I check to see how much experience is left before she does I find that she only has 2,300 exp and change! The rest of my characters have 6,000! She doesn't even qualify for level 3! The only descrepency I can come up with was that she died (the -10 hp, revived by Terjon the Cleric, as stiff as a board, kind of dead. Not the unconcious, immobile dead) and was then brought back to life.

Is this a AD&D penalty of some sort? Could someone direct me to more info if this, indeed, is the case? It just seems kind of brutal at low character levels.

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

In ToEE, casting Restoration may well claw back some XP: no harm in trying. (You probably don't have it at your level, but I hink I may hve added a scroll of restoration to Calmert's shop for just such a moment). But it may be too late to do anything about it now.

3. blackwind

blackwind Established Member

Being ressurected in TOEE there is a XP penalty though I am not sure if the game that gives the penalty or if it is 3.5E rules since I am not that familiar with 3.5.

4. miller360

miller360 Member

Well, examining my game saves before my character's death, I can safely say that there is indeed a hefty penalty for dying (or being resurrected, which is synonymous) but I believe it to be a game calculated penalty as I see no reference to a penalty of this sort in the 3.5 players handbook.

Of course don't take my opinion, or research skills, as holy scripture as I am only a fairly casual AD&D player, and clearly do not know everything.

No matter. Just reloaded an earlier save. Will have to be more careful where I stick my nose in the future...or just be more strategic when vastly out numbered and out leveled (still learning the wonderfully awesome battle system).

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  5. Zigmx6

Zigmx6 Member

The spell Terjon uses and the scroll on his bookshelf (thanks btw) is Raise dead. Terjon is a Lv 10 cleric if i remember right so he wouldn't have Res/True Res. True Res is the only raise spell in 3.0 and 3.5 D&D where you don't take an experience hit. when you use Raise Dead you are reduced by 1 level and the experience is set at the base of the level +1. So That would be your problem for future reference. As for the Hill Giant/Brown Bear, you might wanna try luring the bear out first and killing it so you can give the Hill Giant your complete concentration. Tasha's hideous laughter is the best spell to use cause it'll render him prone and unable to attack. So get in there and take advantage of -4 to AC and your rogue being able to sneak attack. Also, SAVE BEFORE you do it. He might pass his will save ;).

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

. . . . . . . . . .

7. Zigmx6

Zigmx6 Member

Ah ok, you know better than i do! Thanks Ted

8. miller360

miller360 Member

Bravo! Thanks for digging that out for me. I stand gratefully corrected.

Was this implemented in 3.0 rules or before? As I am surprised by its absence in other semi-hardcore AD&D games: Baldur's Gate, Torment, etc..

9. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

So that explains why I was so down and took so long to recover after the divorce. :twitch:

Thanks Ted! :hug:

Our Host!