Reach weapon bug

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Shadowblade2, May 5, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shadowblade2

Shadowblade2 Established Member

Why can nothing be done about the reach weapon bug?

I had no trouble as a solo Sorcerer with a Glaive as I could hit characters inside the "hole of the donut", as it were, within the annulus of my threat space without having to step back or switch weapons.

And when my new party fought its way up the corridor to Lareth the Farcical, 5 characters couldn't get past Fruella because she was too fat, yet Bugbears weave in and out to bypass stronger characters and poke Melanie in the rear. And the two guards blocking the way could hit people behind as well as those in front without taking the obligatory 5 foot step back in order to bring them within threat range. I almost lost half my party there!

I guess it's some collossal, basic bug in the engine but it would be nice if my solo Sorcerer had to take a step back or switch to a shorter weapon once in a while. And even better if I wasn't getting minced by enemies that are actually too close to hit me.

Is the ranseur a reach weapon in ToEE?

~

2. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Well, you already know the answer. Nothing can be done about any of that (I have asked before).

Yes, the ranseur is a reach weapon. It is the only polearm that exists as high quality treasure in the game.

3. Shadowblade2

Yes, but I was asking why.

Don't tell me... it's a massive, colossal bug in the game

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

On the contrary, its a very small and unimportant bug in the game :wave:

All the combat stuff - choosing a strategy (charge / reload / ready vs spell / full attack etc), calculating intiative / cover / flanking, carrying out the actual attack - are all handled by the engine. There's no scripts there for modders to try to change or add to. We'd need a .dll hacker to fix this.

5. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I'm sure you have seen many threads explaining the limitations that our modders have regarding DLL hacks and the unattainable source code for accessing the game engine.

6. Shadowblade2

Not really, but if it's anything like BG and the "hard-coded" bits of the Infinity Engine, it would take reverse engineering or something which people won't try because it's illegal. I'd expect it's the same here.

So would a .dll hacker be illegal? Given that Co8 seems to have doubled the content of the game as well as fixing hundreds, if not thousands, of bugs, couldn't someone at Atari or Troika help? Or just make a patch that fixes the thing in their spare time. This group has done more for Atari and Troika's reputation than anything they've made themselves. The world will remember Co8's fix of ToEE long after they forget Atari's .. err... that game that I've forgotten.

I suppose they want to keep the source code in case they use it for a sequel or to stop commercial companies using it.

What a shame. I'll never know the true thrill of my solo, Glaive-wielding Sorcerer getting pushed back into a wall and being unable to strike and then realise that I've forgotten a secondary melee weapon and then realising that I can cast a spell without getting AoO'd to death.

And they could have had Game of the Year.

They took a silk purse and turned it into a dog's dinner, with pig's ears on top.

~

7. Shadowblade2

Oh woe, woe!

Lamentable sorrow!

Woe!

Our Host!