Fallen paladin question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by DanDavis, Mar 21, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. dulcaoin

dulcaoin Established Member Veteran

But of course. :) I wouldn't suggest anything that I thought was going to be really difficult or even potentially impossible.

I'm picturing the "Circle of 8 TOEE Global Flags Registry" popping up soon...
    :p

2. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

D -

Yeah, a registry is actually going to be necessary at some point if people intend to add mods to mods to mods...

When I post my mod I am taking/reserving an entire range of numbers for global_flags and global_vars...

I am taking the 700 to 899 range for both flags and vars... I have added something like 200+ flags and vars already...

Actually, I am working on a change log for my mod that includes instructions for modders and instructions for users to prevent duplicating vars/flags numbers, etc...

Eventually the protos.tab will fill up as well. I have added something like 30+ new protos lines as well since I had to create a lot of new creatures/items.

- Livonya

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Does anyone know if the paladins detect evil actually works? I've tried it and it didn't seem to do anything, also detect magic should make magic things glow, that doesn't seem to work either, I've never seen the point of true seeing but that should also have a similar effect.

4. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Paladins?

My personal D&D character, many years ago, was a 9th level Paladin. He had a HolyAvenger+5, a Pegasus mount, and was the biggest holyroller jerk that ever exsisted. Everyone hated him. He worshipped RA. the Egyptian sun god. The dude was absolute hell on undead and chaotic evil. He was always up at sunrise to get his sword recharged. It was made by RA from a piece of the sun. He built little pyramids everywhere he went. You can't play someone like him in the game as it is now. The DM then hated my guts. He even tried to bring Elric and Stormbringer in to get rid of me. It failed. Paladins are tough to play in this evil world. How would a NPC Paladin like that fit into the game now. It might be interesting. PS. He had a female half-elf wizard companion with a a fighting falcon.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
  5. Jota

Jota Member

..."A paladin may only hire henchmen or accept followers who are lawful good"... yep its this one allright.

I have my doubts about detect evil to?

I like to play as Paladin in CPRG because you need to think twice before do things, but playing P&P Paladins its another thing.

6. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

One instance where Paladins fall in the game where they really shouldn't is the drinking contest. I mean, sure, if the paladin himself did it, then yeah, he should suffer some consequences. But falling because his buddy the half-orc barbarian decides to? That's pretty stupid, IMO.

7. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

You have to be very careful what you do if you have a Paladin or playing Lawful Good. The game seems to be very sensitive in this area. The brothel is out of the question, don't kill certain people by mistake or otherwise. I had a fight in the Boatmens Tavern and a Nulb village guy got killed in the melee. No more Paladin. It's a tough situation and I wont play LG or a Paladin. Too much hassle.

8. Rook Hudson

Rook Hudson Member

Paladins can be useful

I used to think having a paladin PC in my party would be a problem but there is a good side, or several: a) Laying On Hands is very useful; b) paladins eventually become immune to fear, and inspire others with courage (+4 on saving throws against fear) which is useful against the Balor; c) when he/she gets spells the paladin can become a useful spellcaster as well as a fighter; d) the paladin can Turn Undead so if there is no cleric available, or all the clerics are unconscious or dead, or have used up their Turn Undead ability the paladin can step in; and e) the Remove Disease ability sometimes comes in handy in certain situations.

Give the paladin a holy sword or some other holy weapon or any decent weapon for that matter, and a decent suit of armour as well and you have a worthwhile contributor to the cause.

The Laying On Hands ability is especially useful in a large combat, with lots of monsters all around. If another character goes down for the count the paladin can come to the aid and because of his/her armour and reasonably high hit points, once the levels rise, can withstand monsters attacking while the paladin moves through the combat to help the fallen party member. Then the paladin can stay with that member and use his/her fighting skills to help protect that member from more attacks.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I tend to play a paladin, fabulous creatures they are. Certainly there should be many more instances where they fall in this game.
    Yeah, that one bugged me no end too. I was about to post here and suggest that it be changed, but i 'ran the numbers' and i now think it is paladiniacally accurate.

Part of being exceptionally moral is still respecting other people's choices, such as the choice of your half-orc to do something stupid even though you don't agree with it. You might try to talk him out of it, but u r not responsible if he goes ahead and does it anyway.

However, in the game the drinking context is deliberately entered into for the sake of completing a quest (forget what it is, I think its simply winning the contest - o and looting the fallen of course ). Now, this is an act of the entire group, not an individual, because thats the way the game is played. Therefore, if the group does it, the paladin by definition as part of the group consents to the act.

Is drinking yourself unconscious a morally objectionable act? It would be to a paladin, yes (drinking in moderation might be acceptable but making yourself ill like that would in most moral codes be gluttonous / excessive / self destructive or morally objectionable on some other grounds).

It could be argued, if u used Zert for instance (who in the module could drink people under the table) that if you could win the game without making yourself sick, it would be acceptable. But you would then be participating in an act that deliberately encouraged others to drink themselves unconscious, and to encourage others into a morally objectionable act is of course wrong.

Hence the paladin, by consenting to all this, is himself committing an evil act.

In any case, with all the restrictions put on just being a paladin - charisma of 17 etc - and all the goodies they get as they go along, I think it is meant to be a difficult character to play.

Lest I start a holy war, I am not suggesting that any of my arguments represent moral absolutes, just positions that a paladin would reasonably take (or avoid).

Killing Fruella, of course, is a morally nuetral act. And anyway, she asked for it. :D

10. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Things that would cause a paladin to fall would be evil and to a lesser extent chaotic deeds, evil party members, killing innocents, not sicking up for the guy getting beaten by bandits, whoring, drinking, littering (droping to many items).

When I was playing with a paladin I was abit anoyed that he fell after the drinking contest especially as i hadn't looted the unconcious people in the inn, it's the what one stupid half orc did vs what the party did but if the stupid half orc kept doing things against the moral code of the paladin then I think he/she should fall (unless hes the party leader then he/she should be responsible for everything that happens.

My paladin was pretty tough, with his full plate and heavy fail and it would be good if there were more ways to fall not doing quests, and less ways while doing quests. I reckon that having paladin attonment quests would be quite fun, ones that you can only get with a fallen paladin or the quest some how relates to why the paladin fell, eg your party killed an innocent by stander so you have to do something for his family or some community service.

Is there something like an anti-paladin that would have to be chaotic evil, worship a chaotic evil deity, and have automatic things like cause fear and bane at higher levels and have to stay evil, not do anything good or it'll "fall"?

11. Shiningted

There used to be...

12. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

There was one...

...described in an ancient issue of Dragon Magazine years ago...but nothing official came of it until way later. Blackguard, I believe was the title used then. But that came along in later editions, and everyone who knows anything about me will tell you of my disdain for anything not from the 1st Edition.

13. Shiningted

Ummm that's the one I meant... i thought it went further than Dragon, but then I haven't kept up with the blow by blow rules changes.

14. Kordius

Kordius Member

Blakgard is a prestige class in D&D 3.0 and 3.5.
    There are paladin's antonyms-You must be evil and conclude a pact with a fiend-.

Our Host!