Jerk-Stop Bug Poll

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Feb 23, 2009.

Remove all ads!
?

How often do you experience the jerk-stop bug?

1. I experience the jerk-stop bug all the time

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. I experience the jerk-stop bug some of the time

8 vote(s)
    57.1%
  3. I never experience the jerk-stop bug

5 vote(s)
    35.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

This is an important poll. We need as much input as possible. Basically, if you're reading this, vote. Do not think it has nothing to do with you.

What is the jerk-stop bug? It is the phenomenon wherein your players and the mouse become severely limited in movement. Screen scrolling gets very slow, and the problem gets progressively worse until you have to either quit the game or change maps to relieve it.

Please vote as to whether you have this problem or not with modpack version 5.5.0 only. Then please state, in as much detail as possible, where you have the problem.

Also state the following sytem specs: your operating system (XP or Vista) and service pack level, the amount of system RAM you have and your processor speed (go to Start > Control Panel > System > General tab to see them), and your video adapter make (Nvidia, Radeon, etc.) and model, ideally.

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

2. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Now this may not be worth anything, as I have not loaded the newest 5.5.0 patch or the new FE, but it may help with some background, as this problem manifiested itself in the newerst builds.

I was running Windows XP, SP2, with the old FE and 5.0.6 with patch 1 and 2. First encountered the "jerk-stop" problem near the Woodcutter, in the area between the Inn and Woddcutter (running East to West). It seemed to be in a large circle surrounding that area, approaching the woodcutter from the North (near river and heading down) and South (near Militia Leader's heading up) as well as from the Inn. Problem got progressively worse with each attemtp to get to the woodcutter.

Received occassional lock up traveling to Hommlett from any other location. all PC's/NPC's froze in combat stance in front of the Inn. Fixed by moving to another (not Hommlett) map and returning.

3. maalri

maalri Immortal

I experience mostly in Hommelet- primarily between the Inn and leatherworkers or blacksmiths- but it has happened elsewhere in Hommlet-- Never out of that town that I can remember...

4. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

XP SP3

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+

2.00 GB Ram, 192 GB free space

Processor Speed: 2.21 GHz

Nvidia GeForce 7300 GS

Occurs in Hommlet mostly closer to the Inn, but once by the church.
    Once in Deklo Grove

Any more, when it happens, I just go somewhere else on the map,
    usually to Deklo Grove. So I was surprised when it happened there, too.
    But when I went from Deklo back to Hommlet, it went away.

Some difficulty in the nodes, primarily due to all the special effects, if that's what you call them, and the colors all over the place. (I do not know the terms for these.)

I'm talking about 5.5

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  5. Callhan

Callhan Member

I get this bug only occasionally and only towards the end of the game. It's mainly limited to the open spaces on the 4th level of the temple (Hedrack's area and the circular room behind) and the fire node. I sometimes get stuttering in the air node, but not to the same extent. I was running the following specs:
    E6600 2.4ghz
    4 gig RAM
    Intel D975XBX
    nVidia 7900GT KO
    Win XP Pro 32bit

I recently swapped out my video card for a 9800GTX+, but I haven't got far enough with my new game to see if I'll experience the same problem.

Also, whenever I turned off antialiasing my performance would greatly improve, but the problem wouldn't completely go away. Forgot to add, I was having this problem with 5.5 (and earlier editions, for that matter). Also running SP3 on XP.

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I don't believe I have seen it in 5.5.0 I might have run across it in older versions, but it was never persistent and/or gamebreaking.

Vista home premium 32bit
    2gb ram, nVidia 8400M GT
    Core 2 duo 2.0 ghz

I do still have the usual lag/hang in the nodes, but I don't suppose it's the same bug?

7. courteld

courteld Member

Happens infrequently when travelling by map-teleport in hommlet during later game saves.

XP-SP2
    1gb ram
    ATI-Radeon 256
    2.0ghz

8. Enilno

Enilno Quicksword

Gaear -- I experienced what you call the 'jerk-stop' bug in 5.5.0 when I was playing the game regularly a few weeks ago.

Mine is a fresh install of 5.5.0 on a Vista system that hed never had ToEE installed on it prior to this latest Co8 modpack.

I'd have to get back to you with the rest of the system specs (not on that system now).

I recall the jerk-stop being the worst in the following specific areas:

1. Temple level 4, just beyond the Hedrack battle where all the fungi lurk, especially as the area with four treasure chests comes into view. This spot has always given me trouble in all the versions of ToEE/Co8 I've played over the years on different systems.

2. Earth node (1 of 2). Severe repeatable 'jerk-stop' leading to complete lock-up as you go west and south from the initial Galeb Duhr battle. (Kill the Galeb Duhrs, go to the west, loot treasure chest, try to go through southern passage, fatal lock-up). I did this several time using the mouse and trying to edge the screen ever so slowly, but finally decided to use the arrow keys to move the screen instead of the mouse -- this was slow, but it allowed me to get through.

3. Earth node (2 of 2). Another severe repeatable 'jerk-stop' leading to complete lock-up if you went north from an area near the passage leading to Jaer. I'm sorry I can't describe this one as well. It was after a battle with something (can't recall), but I could repeat it (and using the arrow keys didn't help). I believe the area could also be reached to the north of the Gorgon battle (IIRC). Eventually I just gave up and went back the way I came before taking out the Glabrezu.

4. Fire node. Many places, but none as severe as the Earth node, though I think I used the arrow keys almost exlusively to move the screen on the Fire Node. I'm sure this isn't much help, but there were plenty of slow downs (e.g., near the bodaks), and I recall at least one complete lock-up just north of Darley (after approaching from the East and recruiting her temporarily).

I generally found the Earth Node and Fire Node to be the most 'jerk-stop' prone areas, while the Water Node gave me no problem (and the Air Node wasn't bad either). The Earth Node, in particular, seemed worse than I recall it being in previous versions of ToEE/Co8.

9. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

I experience it on the 4th level of the temple, after fighting the 3 super ogres(chieftains or something) when I try to go to the room where Shenshock is. No problem if I go back to the main corridor then through the two secret doors to Shenshock's room. Also, occasionaly, on the long corridor that circles the fire temple. Funny enough, I had these same problems with ALL the previous mods.....
    Windows XP, SP3
    192Mb RAM
    Sempron 3000+ 1.81GHz
    VIA/S3G UniChrome Pro IGP

10. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Whoops, forgot my specs:

Vista Home Premium SP 1

2 Gigs Ram

1.73 GH processor

Freezes start outside Welcome Wench around Level 4

Jerk-stop about then, more around Miltia Captain / Woodcutter and Smith / Welcome Wench

11. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

I haven't made it to the nodes yet in 5.5, but there is nothing yet. I will take the poll whhen I'm done.

FWIW, I have never had issues outside of the Fire Temple & Nodes that didn't go away after a restart, and even those are rare. If this is what you are referring to.

12. Groo the Ambler

Groo the Ambler Loot the Rot Grubs

Vista Home Basic 6.0 SP2
    1.06GB RAM, CPU 3.00GHz
    ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 Series

My vote wouldn't mean much because I've only played 5.5.0 once, but I just abandoned that game because the party now freezes completely when traveling to any Hommlet location. I never reached the nodes.

I recall having some jerk-stop around the nodes in earlier versions, before never this bad or persistent. It began by the Inn, then seemed to spread to other areas of Hommlet and even to Nulb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!