Crafting Upgrades

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Templar, Feb 8, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Templar

Templar Established Member

I got access to all the good upgrade optinions, oddly though my sorceror has the optinion to add +3 to weapons (lvl 9 sorc) and the others don't, but now that I think of it I think its cause my cleric is 8th lvl and 1 lvl fighter.

My paladin has a +3 great cleaver and tower shield +2
    Barbarian has +3 Glaive (been VERY deadly)
    Cleric has a warhammer
    and druid/fighter has a +2 Falchion

So I'm now thinking of other upgrades. Originally I planned everyone to have +3,holy, axiomatic frost, shock.

Now I'm thinking the cleric should have mighty cleaving. I still think they all should get holy and axio and the +3 to maximize. My cleric might benifit from Keen I think without having improved critical. Any thoughts?

2. William_2

William_2 Member

I would lean towards not going quite so far wtih the weapons, and instead letting the casters level more, and...do more casting. I find seeing the higher level casters in action more fun than carving everyone up quite so briskly. I am not sure the game retains enough challenge with that much weapon power, does it? I have not tried.

3. Templar

true, but the balor is one tough little cookie.

4. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Sword/melee fighting with a Balor is pretty much a lost cause. It's a very powerful magical creature and is best fought with magic. Any and all you can get. The Balors vorpal sword is much more powerful than anything you can craft. Plan on dying when you get there if you plan on swordfighting with it.

5. Templar

That's how I fought it last time...yeah I reloaded a few times but it was so magically resistant I didn't know what else to do.

I distracted it with summons and buffed alot with +3, axio, holy and it was really hard to say the least. I lost 2 or 3 people. I'll use stoneskin a lot this time to and more magic.

6. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

My cleric/fighter with a +3 unholy frost dwarven axe, and a +3 rod of smiting in offhand, had a pretty easy time hacking the Balor up. He never even had the time to get his sword out. Buff properly for both offense and defense, and you're good to go.

Now, fighting him with magic is more or less a lost cause, unless the mage has AT LEAST one spell penetration feat, hopefully coupled with spell focus.

Our Host!