Solo run

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by trickyyoda, Jan 26, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I was only able to command ghouls at cleric level 7 WITH the improved turning. Either you have too many in the group already, or the cleric at that level can't control them. Also, your charisma is pretty low, so that might be another issue.

Animate Dead only works on humanoids iirc.

2. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

Just out of curiousity, what cleric did you use? Evil yes, but god, domains ect.

I used a NE (doing the LE quest) Cleric of Nerull with death and evil as domains. Again, it is defently my fravourte character. I started the run-through as a kinda joke just after watching the Hogfather discworld film and rather apportally called him DEATH, capitals and all. Now that you mention it, the undead in homlete does seem a bit weird? I remamber just for roleplay sake I used to hide my undead in one of the side rooms in the inn when resting.

Also I have a solution for the undead crosbow ammo problem; kill it and command a new one. They're mindless feinds bent to your will afterall :evil_laug!

3. Reymar

Reymar Member

I went NE but I'm doing the CE campaign. I chose Vecna as a god (I love saying "By the hand and eye"! when rebuking) Magic and Evil domains.

I was a bit mad, the manual said non-evil priests of Obad-Hai turn undead, so I figured an evil priest of Obad Hai rebuked, but nope.... Water and Plant domain would have been fun (and nice for crafting too).

It's slow going now, I'm basically soloing without followers and relying on my high ac/hps to carry me through fights.

Rey~

4. Reymar

Reymar Member

I'm beginning to doubt the validity of solo campaigns, I don't see the experience being there to level. At first you fly up but then at 9th-10th nothing gives you experience, I got like 300 xp killing the emperor toad...

Without decent nukes, fighting ability, or strong undead the evil cleric is doomed. Just don't have the power for any heavy encounters.

Magic domain is crap, you fail when using pretty much anything wizard, even at 10th level I can't use a wand of magic missiles (thought MM wands were usable by all classes...), scrolls fail, hey thanks magic domain!

Rey~

5. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

^ Try putting points into Use Magic Device?

6. trickyyoda

trickyyoda Member

Hello again all!

Yes, Levels sort of plateau around 10 or so until you hit the 3rd level. After that, I had no issues with my solo Druid hitting level 20. She just cleared Earth and Air Nodes. The fact I can Summon Elder Elementals is very cool. Just make sure you do it in large space, or they get stuck :(

7. Reymar

Reymar Member

Druid is waaay easier than evil cleric, mostly because Animate Dead is done totally wrong in TOEE.

If ever a spell needed an update, Animate Dead is it. Add the gold cost to the spell please, and fix it so it works as intended. Right now you cast the spell and get to target one whole corpse and get a random useless undead.

Example 10th level evil cleric kills 4 trolls and decides to make new friends. In TOEE you can make one of them into either a ridiculously weak skeleton (random hps, usually 3-8ish) or a zombie with 20ish hps. Actual 3.5 rules would let you raise 20 hd of undead(twice your level), with the hd of the undead being the same as in life. Trolls have 6hd+36 hps, I'm not sure on the extra hp thing, would that translate to 3 more hd per troll? Lets say no and it goes off just the base. The cleric would get either 3 6hd skeletons, or 3 6hd zombies. Casting desecrate beforehand would allow the cleric to raise 40hd of undead (four times your level), so using deasecrate would allow all 4 to be raised as 6hd undead , and 6 if there were 6 dead trolls.

As you can see the TOEE version of Animate dead is a freaking joke, might as well make it 1st level for all its "usefulness"

Rey~

8. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Either that, or lower the spell level, its no better than Summon Monster I. This was my favorite spell in the Icewind Dale series and Baldur's gate, gotta love those Bone guardians!

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I loved it in Warlords: BattleCry, you could create your little circle of evilness, stand in it and in the middle of a humungous battle just go 'animate' and double your army. Dang, but its been a while...
    Challenge accepted :) But it will be in KotB for starters.

I'll be needing an icon for onyx gems, of course...

10. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Multiple Animate Deads posted on guard in bottlenecks, multiple spell users pouring out area affect spells, with everyone else pouring out missile fire. The only way to prevail in IWD2 Heart of Fury mode. Those were the days! ;)

11. Reymar

Reymar Member

You could just have it be an auto gold draw similar to the identify spell, dunno if there's a way to make it scale with the level of undead summoned though.

Rey~

12. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

I'm not talking about making ghouls and mummies and stuff, although I did mess up and give the cost for create undead instead of animate dead.

I'm talking about how if I kill a giant and animate it, I'm supposed to get a several hit die giant skeleton, not the same crappy 1 hit die skeleton I get from killing and animating a random Hommlet villiager. And if you kill and zombify a dragon, you should get a zombie dragon. But doing that would require a zombie/skeleton dragon model.

So, implementing even animate dead in its full generality would be an unreasonable request. But it probably could be better than always giving you mostly useless level 1 skeletons/zombies (assuming the script can tell how many hit dice the dead creature had).

13. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Sorry for necro'ng this thread, but it seemed relevant...

Well, I started a solo campaign for an evil Cleric/Sorceror, Lvl 3/4 atm.

I managed to succesfully rebuke & command quite a few skeletons, but I recently had a run-in with a small army of undead skeletons + 2 skeleton gnolls. Which ended in me having a small army of undead at my disposal, consisting of 8 skeleton crossbowmen & 2 skeleton gnolls. Awesome, isn't it?

...No. Now, they are a drag... stupid buggers don't talk, don't know how to follow orders, attack enemies on sight, are not particulary good at what they should do and you can't just dismiss them.

And when you travel on the worldmap, it buggs up the engine and your banished out of the game, straight to the desktop, with a nice message saying "ToEE.exe has encountered an error...blahblah" You all know the message prolly ;)

I suppose I need to tone down my army of undead morons, because I think having a retinue of 8 is too much for the engine. Does anybody know what the maximum amount of those poor buggers is you can stroll around with before it crashes the game?

This is played with 5.8.0 NC mod.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  14. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

I always had to kill them. Walk up to one, radial menu, full attack, click on them.

15. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Yeah, I know, but I was wondering if there was a faster way (Barring chuckung your cure spells on them). What I didn,'t know was that you get xp out of killing them :pelvicthr

So, they actually do crash the system if you keep them? Nomatter the quantity?

Our Host!