Cleaver weilding cleric

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Templar, Jan 27, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Templar

Templar Established Member

I realised creating my little butcher that the cleric didn't have weapon focus to choose from just duel weilding. Maybe that was one of the reasons Wizgeorge went that way. I'm not sure if I'm going for the cleaver anymore, how good were your hitting odds Wizgeorge at level 5-7 per say?

Just I went with light mace last time and still want to try something different but if I just go with one in hand I won't hit as well (which may be no big deal anyway).

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

You need weapon focus-handaxe for the cleaver and it works good for two-weapon at the higher levels. The critical range of 17-20x3, plus 1d10 damage makes it a good weapon for anything. I was console testing crafting so the results are very iffy. Clerics are great for crafting and turning undead, but two-weapon with cleavers really isn't a clerish thing to do. If you get high enough level the cleaver can be awesome for a fighter with good strength and dexterity. You need the best AC you can get, but I don't like giving up +7AC, (metaltowershield+3) to do it. Fruella had blue elven chain, gloves of dex+6 and ring+2, so she had a decent AC. I still prefer the shield tho.

3. Templar

I didn't see the weapon focus available for my cleric. Hmm, I want to be different, so I may remake my paladin doing the longsword thing and take spiked chain and take long sword for my cleric and cleaver for my druid/fighter.

4. Templar

Re: Cleaver wielding cleric

Okay I'm looking at a spike chain paladin, a cleaver druid/fighter, a glaive barbarian (considered a orc double axe for fun but like the reach) and a plain wizard.

To mix things up more my cleric is looking for try either an axe or a hammer. I know hendrek has a really good hammer, I forget what base type though..?

Also if an axe would be one handed. Should I go for a single axe?

I'm really considering the hammer though, it seemed a good weapon to build on, I would just need to know the base weapon type to have my cleric gain martial weapon specialty in it. I think it is the Warhammer.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  5. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The feats list is pretty short for clerics anyway. It is pretty limited and tuned to healing, turning and crafting. I wish they had a better and more of a selection. But you can only use what's in the game.

6. Reymar

Reymar Member

Since clerics don't start with +1 attack the only way they can get weapon focus at first level is if they choose a god with war domain and take war to get weapon focus in the gods favored weapon.

Chain is kinda a waste unless you're going with it just for the look, a Ransuer has the same reach without having to burn a feat to use it. Guisarm might too, I'm gonna test it to see if it has reach.

Rey~

7. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Wait, wasn't cleaver a martial weapon? That might be why the feat for handaxe won't show up - you may lack martial wpn proficiency (clerics only have proficiency - simple, plus the deity's fav. wpn. if you have War domain). Waste the extra feat for that if the cleric is human, or take one or two fighter levels for increased BAB, proficiency and bonus feats - as long as you're not concerned too much about the cleric abilities. Right now I have a dwarven cleric 6/fighter 4, of Hextor, focus in Dwarven Waraxe, improved two-wpn fighting (offhand handaxe), improved turning. He hits hard, and I use him for debuffs. He also has destruction domain, so he smites once per day - very handy, esp. at lower levels. Not too high of an AC - but with Periapt of Wound Closure, Dex18 and Str16 he makes a decent fighter. I have Meleny to do most of the buffs/healing/crafting.

FYI, I don't exactly remember Herdrack's hammer, but the description reads "it's too big for a normal human to wield in one hand" or sth like that. So, maybe Greathammer? Or was it a Maul?

A plain wiz = quantity over quality... Still nice to have, but need to select spells per day carefully. If you REALLY want to mix things up try a sorcerer - just pick your couple favourite spells =) Sorcerers go well with Spell Focus feats; my favourite thing is that you can give up higher-level spells to cast a lower-level one.

I had a cleric with destruction/evil and he could take Weapon Focus on creation. War domain gives you proficiency only iirc. EDIT: I lied, I gave him TWF first, then the Focus on lvl3. Still worth it.

8. Reymar

Reymar Member

I think if I wanted a dual cleaver wielding cleric I'd take a level of fighter at least, you get an extra feat and don't have to waste a feat to use the cleaver.

Guisarme doesn't have reach, who makes these weapons? Half the polearms have 0 reach.....

Rey~

9. Templar

My fighter was able to use the henrek's hammer with one hand, but he had high strength by then, who knows.

Well I may go with an axe for my paladin instead, to be different. Then again maybe another reach weapon. I'll play around with them and see.

Okay the Battle Axe: 1d8, 20 x 3
    and the Falchion: 2d4, 18-20 x 2

interest me.

I could use improved critical or Keen to increase my chances of a critical for the battle axe making it more deadly.

10. Templar

Well with the spell store lady not working right yet, spells are a bit limited, so a sorcerer may not be out of the question. I'll read up on them again, they just can't select as many spells I think.

The sorceror has more low level spells but progresses a spell level higher slower from what I see. Casts arcane spells using their charisma modifer to determine resistance of the victim, as opposed to intelligence for the wizard.
    Doesn't look like they gain the bonus feats the wizard does at levels 5 and 10, and I don't think they scribe.

11. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

If it will help, there is a MW warhammer on the top level of the temple. One level of fighter, ranger or barbarian is a better way to weaponize a cleric than wasting a feat. ;)

12. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Sorcerers can scribe iirc, but can't copy scrolls. No bonus feats, no, and slower spell level progression. However, they do gain more spells per level than the wizards. IMO a great choice for concentrating on a certain school or playstyle - make him an attack mage, or a summoner, or a buffer. Also, consider this: say, you have spell quantities 7/7/5/3/2 starting with cantrips - that means that, in a pinch, you can cast up to 10 fireballs, or 17 Magic Missles per day.

Right now my sorcerer is largely a summoner, and my druid dishes out most of the magic damage =)

Also, consider all the things a guy with high charisma can do - and yes, Bluff is a sorceror class skill.

Falchion looks like a good choice, as long as it's one-handed (don't remember). Also consider Dwarven Waraxe - 1d10, 20 x 3; if your cleric is dwarven, you automatically get proficiency. Bottom line though - like Reymar said, if you want your cleric to be a decent fighter, give him a level or two of fighter class. Otherwise, you'll just end up with a healer/buffer.

My best (and only lol) experience with a Paladin was using Greatswords. Frostbrand ftw - makes Balor look easy.

13. Templar

Yeah I'm going to go with the sorcerer, I want the experience as different as possible anyway. However, even though in other games the falchion has been a one handed one; diablo, baldur's gate and icewind series, in this its 2 handed.

So I'm much more more for the battle axe now. I was considering the greatsword after what you said, I just loose the AC.
    I may make my glaive a frostbrand though. Maybe a holy, axiomatic, frost, icy burst or something :dribble:

14. Reymar

Reymar Member

If you want to use a two hander but don't want to give up the ac bonus of a shield why not toss on a buckler? It costs you -1 to your attack but with a fully enchanted masterwork buckler you can add 4 to your AC (1 less than a +3 medium shield) and still swing that big two hander :)

Not worth the minus for the early levels but once you can enchant gauntlets of ogre power will ofset the penalty while adding 1 to damage.

Rey~

15. Templar

I'm chewing on that idea. :) I would like one person with a shield but I suppose its not a big deal if one doesn't.

My party is looking like this at the moment:

paladin - great axe/shield or 2 handed sword (female)

barbarian (1/2 orc last time; human or dwarf maybe)
    weapon: Glaive

cleric - one level fighter - warhammer

sorcerer - male

druid/fighter - melany / duel cleavers
    (want to change pic to one I liked in selection more druid like-sorry melany you are cute though)

Our Host!