Weapon Finesse

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ranth, Jan 19, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Does the weapon finesse feat affect all weapons you wield? The description mentions 'you get the dex bonus with this weapon' but I never get the chance to choose the weapon. Slightly confused.

2. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

It affects all finessable weapons. To be finessable the weapon must be a smaller size than the weilder - in other words, a medium-sized character such as a human or dwarf can finesse any small or tiny weapon, but a small character (halfling or gnome) can only finesse tiny weapons.

The rapier is a special exception - it is the only medium-sized weapon that is finessable by a medium character. In fact, you can even finesse a rapier while power-attacking with it!

3. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Well crap. I suppose I wasted a feat on my dual wielding longsword ranger...

Are scimitars considered small? I would dual wield those but I could never find masterwork scimitars. Also, is the blacksmith selling masterwork items broke in 5.5.0? He doesn't sell me any after I give him the giants head.

4. William_2

William_2 Member

Finesse aside, there would be a penalty for the off-hand longsword not being a small weapon, as well. So, you probably want a shortsword in that hand anyway, or the equivalent Japanese sword, which appears in a few places (or maybe a magic dagger). Switch to a Rapier in the main hand, and you are all Finesss. It is a good way to go, generally.
    Scimitar not small, either (although you can get small ones, of course).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
Our Host!