Solo the game?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ranth, Jan 14, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Has anyone ever tried to solo the game? I am thinking that I may want to try with a war cleric, since he can heal, wear armor, buff, and cast offensive spells.

I think the hardest part will be the fights with many opponents. 8+ monsters will have 8 turns in a row to my one attack... but I will be leveling quickly.

2. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

I'm sure it's possible. However I forsee either a lot of consoling for stats, items, etc. and/or the use of more than a few NPC's. Some of the later battles ARE DIFFICULT even for a large, well developed party.

Soloing also carries the caveat that you won't be able to complete every single quest or get every single reputation, based on the partry alignments.

3. William_2

William_2 Member

I expect that everything above is true.

I have a solo game going currently, with a fighter. He is 8th level now, and in fact it has been very easy to this point. I'm not sure I will even try finishing, though. I have not used the console at all, and without that or access to Crafting, I suspect that the future is grim.
    I have seen other posts about finishing solo, so I guess it can be done, though.

I note that I am sick of resting to heal!

4. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

One of my best games was a solo lawfull evil cleric of nerull. (Death and evil domains i think). It's a good combo; evil so I got hords of undead as cannon fodder (I never use NPCs, even in non-solo games-never console either) and with the death domain you get lots of slay-living (as well as a death-touch ability from the get go) All good for killing them quickly. The only guy I didn't manage to kill was iuz; even then it was close and partly due to the time limit. It was good fun and challenging too.

5. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

What level did you get your cleric to at the end?

6. hokerbrecht

hokerbrecht Member

Soloist,

I have been succsessful with a fighter. I started with good stats (CHA must be 16, good STR and DEX important too) as CN, taking 4 skill points in open lock (needed for CN start), putting 4 skill points to diplomacy and taking negotiator feat. After the opening CN vingnette, you get to Hommlett with ~560XP. Do the tailor quest and the Cavenaugh quest and you are second level. All the focus on diplomacy and the other "face" skill pays off--you can get to ~5th level in Hommlett and deklo grove, you then are a silent deadly powerhouse with a holy sword, magic boots from Jay and a ring of invisibility, if Furnok happens to die...wink wink. From then on it's cake. Use the potion of magic resistance at the bandit tower, then get Fragerach, you will be around level 14 and unstoppable.

You can also put points to use magic device and cast magic chest from the scrolls you find, cash in the chests at ~30k gp a pop to buy things you need like the poison resistance necklace in Nulb.

H

7. Roller1234

Roller1234 Member

i have not done it, but im sure it would be pretty easy with a casting character. He is getting x5 more exp and lots of extra gear(money), which translates in lots of wands. So probably a cleric, because of healing and armor. Domains Good(holy smite and holy weapons) and Earth for stoneskin or something. He will holysmite, flamestrike or icestorm his way through everything.

8. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

I reached the limit of level 20; after that I was just burning XP. You do become quite an unstopable force at that level.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well then at least the 'c' part of CoDzilla works in ToEE :)
    This is probably not the place to bring it up but I gotta say, they feel very exploitable. I rarely use the chest (brilliant addition though it is) and when I found I could flog my first one for 30k+, well it was gone in the blink of an eye and I had Gloves of Dex +6 and some other stuff moments later. Didn't feel right :sadblinky

Our Host!