RPG Games

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ranth, Jan 12, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Can anyone suggest games similar to ToEE that are not Neverwinter or Baldurs Gate? I love creating a party, exploring, and trying new strategies. I came across this game slated for an 2009 release, with a top notch developement studio and publisher behind it, but there is very little info (I don't even know if you can create a party).

In my research for other games I found out that one of the Trokia founders is working on Diablo 3, and another is working on an unannounced MMO.

Can anyone recommend other games?

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Icewind Dale, Heart of Winter, Icewind Dale II, Trials of the Luremaster, Planescape:Torment and Arcanum. They are all good. ;)

That game will probably be a first-person game, like the Elder Scrolls games.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  3. Deadz

Deadz Member

Some time next year we get Dragon Age.. that's the one i'm waiting on.

4. joshuar9476

joshuar9476 Member

yeah, the third person above the head games are the ones i enjoy. if you could take BGI and II's story with TOEE's turn based gameplay and visuals ... i'd still be playing every day.

5. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

It looks like Baldur's Gate with the ability to pan around. I'll probably have to by a new computer if I want to play it.

6. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

I know you said not NWN, but the latest NWN2 expansion, Storm of Zehir actually has a somewhat ToEE-ish bent to it.

You get to create a party (up to 4 people), and can add an NPC or two to it. The story is pretty low key for most of the game, and there's more focus on exploring random dungeons and stuff (and the overland map is excellent; frequently unused skills like survival, spot, listen and such are actually used there). The dialogue system actually lets your whole party contribute their skills, instead of having to stack all your relevant skills on one person (which is actually nicer than ToEE, I'd say).

The major problem is the same as with every NWN game: the combat stinks. There are actual difficult encounters in the game, but in some ways, that serves to hilight how poor the combat system is (managing a party is no picnic in the Aurora engine). However, if you can live with that (and I must say I eventually came to not be bothered so much by it), it's an enjoyable game.

7. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I am hoping the new game will not require Vista. And that I am finished with ToEE by then.

8. joshuar9476

joshuar9476 Member

concerning Dragon Age: Origins

i hope you can make it more turn based than the baldur's gate series ... here's the link to the wikipedia article

9. Templar

Templar Established Member

Yeah dragon age is coming out this Spring, said to be late March. The console versions are whats not expected till winter of this year.

You can have up to 4 people in your party, including yourself and one you can have is a dog.

10. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Which leads up to what I think may have been the best RPGs to fill the original qualifications - even though they weren't sword-n-socerery games:

Fallout and Fallout II.

11. maalri

maalri Immortal

Hopefully you are NEVER finished with ToEE :) and KotB and ...

12. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

At the rate I am going, your hopes will likely be met. Queenship has so many responsibilities...the work is definitely limiting...moreso than meets the eye.

13. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Ah, but think of the rewards, My Lady, the rewards...

14. Greylan

Greylan Established Member

A horde of armed peasants and angry bourgeois whose sole desire is to separate your head from the rest of you? :p

Yeah man, like you I'd love to see BG on ToEE's engine. It's unlikely we'll ever see another true turn-based RPG for a long time, given recent trends toward a "cinematic experience."

I'll probably pick up Dragon Age though, Bioware tends to put out quality. :)

15. maalri

maalri Immortal

Don't forget the Pool of FRadiance...

It uses 3.5 Ed rules, but it is very slow and uses its own selections for feats.. but not bad tho, if you don' t mind the slow progress... i hear there is a fix for that...

And it is $10 or less...

Our Host!