Metagaming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scryler, Dec 29, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi GA
    I actually served in the US Army. I have no idea what the Canadian Army MOS designation system is like.
    TRC

2. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi GA
    As a 13F would say "Rounds complete, End of Mission, Mystery explained". You explained it perfectly.
    TRC

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Roger. I actually learned a little as a cadet in Rudder's Rangers, TAMU, 1976.

I still say you sound more a like grunt than a Canuck. Not that the Canucks aren't outstanding. :gotmyatte

4. JohnBear

JohnBear Member

Scryler,

Play the game the way YOU have fun. There is no "metagaming" police waiting to haul you off.

In a PnP game the DM will let you know if you're metagaming. Fwiw, in my PnP games we often give the player a % roll of some kind to determine if their character would do <whatever> based upon metagame knowledge anyway.

So just relax and have fun.

JohnBear

5. Heavydan85

Heavydan85 Drinking Champion

Metagaming...a constant topic of our pnp group...as long as we are playing 3.5. None of us really know enough to metagme much in 4.0.

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

IMO some things which could be considered metagaming are also common sence, for example no experienced fighter would camp out if there was somewhere safe near by, only a party of blonde halfling mages would happily skip through a place like the temple of elemental evil with no spells prepared and over encumbered with magic greatswords and full plate armor (hey where do you think that bugbear got that sweet loot from)

7. maalri

maalri Immortal

DnD 4.0 UGH! Is anyone actually playing that version?

Each successive version was a bit off the previous, but not too much, but 4.0 just seems like they are trying to make a PnP video game or MMORPG. Duh, supposed to be the other way around...

8. Heavydan85

I was against 4.0 at first, but after playing it I don't mind it that much. I still like 3.5 (3.0 was the first edition i ever played) better, but I feel at least to this point, level 3 i think, no one class is so powerful it makes playing other boring, unless you go straight commander warlord...that seems boring. I say it is worth a try. At the very least paladins are no longer lawful good suckiness...i play an unaligned(pretty much chaotic good alignment for the new 4.0...don't know why that had to change) dragonborn paladin of kord as my first character and it is actually pretty fun, never thought i'd say that about a pally.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  9. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Ugh - I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...

10. maalri

maalri Immortal

AD&D is the first I played- thats considered First edition, but there was DnD before that (now known as Basic DnD) which I had the starter kit for, but never played. Anyway, I have been through them all and

IMHO I think 2.5 is the best... It kept checks and balances and yet still allowed for specializations and DM alterations, as long as GAME BALANCE was maintained, and not just among the classes, but among the World the characters were playing in...

Hey- Anyone remember when the amount of GOLD your moster had in their treasure was a big part of, if not all of, your EXPERIENCE GAINED??!! LOL!!! Glad the Basic and 1st Ed. rules on THAT weren't followed on subsequent versions...

11. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

I remember the good old 1st Ed days where you got experience from magic items you found as well as monsters that you killed.

12. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

There was a 2.5?

In AD&D, you got exp for monsters killed (adjusted fo # of hit points), plus gold and gems, plus for magic items. That's one of the reasons for all the "Montie Haul" references.

13. maalri

maalri Immortal

2.5 and 3.5 are just references to later reprints of 2nd Ed and 3rd Ed respectively- with some correction and MINOR changes- like the way some spells worked and some class abilities...

But yeah Monster XP, Items XP (which was only suppossed to be given when the item was first USED- had a lot of people using the worthless wand once before selling it because of THAT little rule) and each Gold piece value was worth an EXP point.. LOL as if I am a better fighter because this --->>> had more gold (at the DMs discretion or some WIERD rolls) that --->> Troll....

But in defense of the older system Monster XP and Item XP were lower, I think, than they are now.. it kinda evened out.

14. Heavydan85

Definitely like this character better than a pally in 3.5. I hate 3.5 pallies and would never play one personally.

15. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

*smacks self in head*

I forgot all about the XP for gp you got in 1st Ed!!

Time to start looking through my old characters again!

Our Host!