What does CR mean and other questions.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Scryler, Jan 5, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I was looking at a long list of just about everything in the game (unmodded, I think) and they had a CR category. I cannot find an explanation of what CR is, not even in the SRD, unless CR means Core Rules. For ex: a chicken has a CR of -2. So do goblins, dire rats, etc. Other creatures have higher CRs. Salamanders have a CR of 5.

Another question. I also cannot find the weight of Dragonhide or Dwarven Plate Armor. I don't want to buy it, spend the length of time you have to wait to get it, and then find out it weighs too much for my Druid or Dwarven Cleric to use it.

2. Bob Corncob

Bob Corncob Maverick Moon Miner

In older versions of D&D, creatures were worth a certain amount of experience points regardless of your character level. CR stands for Challenge Rating. CR was introduced in the 3rd edition of D&D to make it so as your character grows more powerful (levels up), weaker creatures are worth less experience.

Looked and found this as a definition of CR:

Challenge Rating

This shows the average level of a party of adventurers for which one creature would make an encounter of moderate difficulty.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  3. Scryler

Thanks.

I did a search and I think I know how to find out the weight of the two armors...and I think they are both too heavy. One of the search result threads mentioned that TATTOOs have AC ratings???? Wow. Something for my Sorcerer, maybe? Maybe?

4. Bob Corncob

Bob Corncob Maverick Moon Miner

Mother Screng sells you magical tattoos, which among other bonuses and penalties, boost armor class.

5. Scryler

I think I read where they are permanent? And Hommlet residents dislike you on sight? (heh) Can you wear a robe and cloak over them?

6. shadow5

shadow5 Member

Tattoos can be covered by robes but they still have negative effect on diplomacy and a positive effect on intimidate.

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Get tattoos, high dex, magic bracers, ring of protection on a magician and their ac will be higher than some of your tanks. I had an elf with 18 (20) dex, (+5), 1 lvl of monk with 17+1 wisdom (+4), the +4 bracers, +2 ring of protection, the minotaur's cloak (+3), and the tattoos (+4), for an ac of 32. If she could fight (10 str), I wouldn't have wasted her as a mage.

By late in the game, my mage, druid and rogue are all tattooed, etc. Just tattoos and a smile! :thumbsup:

8. Enilno

Enilno Quicksword

Ah yes, the magical tattoos.

Is there any way in 5.5.0, short of consoling (which I haven't tried, but I suppose would work) to get the magical tattoos for your NPCs?

Now that they can't be dropped/transferred (last time I played through .... over a year ago, you could), it seems that the NPCs can't get 'em.

Our Host!