toee-error

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Templar, Jan 4, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Templar

Templar Established Member

I'm running it on vista, and when I do a reinstall I always get the windows message 'another instance of toee-front end x is already running'

My friend fixed this before, it had something to do with a security issue and vista would not give the game permission to run.

He went about going through a series of folders and clicking and checking boxes to fix it. This friend works everyday and is extremely rare he can come over to do this, cause I dunno how myself.

I did a reinstall after changing the resolution which caused the game to freeze at the title screen 2 seconds in. Before I could even change it again.

He said the fix should have been permanant. But the folder was deleted and I think thats the culprit. Was the only way I knew how to do a reinstall, the game mops everything up and unfortunitly erases the atari folder, which screws up everything.

Anyone know what folders I might go in to fix this?

2. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Hmm... I'm not sure what you're talking about, but generally you should always run ToEE Front-End X as an administrator if you're running it in Windows Vista, otherwise you're doomed to have crashes or launch problems. I always run it as an administrator in Vista SP1 and I never encountered any problems, including the one you mentioned above.. Right-clicking the TFE-X shortcut and choosing "Run as Administrator" should do it (I think that's how it's done - I'm not on my Vista PC now and the thing has become so automatic that I can hardly consciously remember what exactly I do, hehe :)) As for the folders-and-checkboxes stuff you're talking about - it's gotta be something that has to do with the individual user permissions, which can be accessed via the "Security" tab of the Properties window (right-click the ToEE folder, then go to 'properties', then to 'security'). I haven't touched that much myself, so I'm not sure what exactly you have to do there. You might want to give your friend a buzz and ask him what exactly you need to check/uncheck/modify there.

- Agetian

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  3. Templar

Yeah today is the only good day to get him, so hopefully I can.
    I've been routing around in the Security/Permission stuff on it, says I'm an administrator. So far no luck.
    _____

Finally found the problem in the Properties/Compatibility area, checked myself off as an administrator. I would have thought it would be more difficult than that.

That problem seems solved. I'm on problem #2 now...

Before reinstall I changed resolution to 800x600 16, my big mistake. That game locks up at the title screen after about 2 seconds everything time. No control over the mouse, and no time to change the resolution again. I'm trying again in the properties area to change things and see if I can fix this new problem.

Thanks Agetian.
    My friend will be up in 2 hours from this message, I'll call him if I can't figure it out.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  4. Templar

talking with friend now about resolution freezing my title screen. He tells me to use Notepad to go into the .cfg file, I found only one and that data just said autosave =0, and he says thats not it then.

So I'm going to uninstall again and see what happens.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Make sure the file you're editing is called toee.cfg, specifically. You might then try adding these lines to it (then save the file and close):

Code:
    video_bpp=32
    video_height=768
    video_width=1024

6. Templar

Thanks Gaear.

I'm writing that down to put in there cause nothing else was there but autosave information I don't know why.

Problem is fixed. I have 2 questions though. I have a 17" view sonic lcd and a 9600 nvidea 512mb video card and I don't seem to notice resolution difference.

On 800x600 I can see all the details better, cause its bigger of course. On the highest I see more of the screen. What differences are there is 16 and 32? It has something to do with color depth or pixels right?

The other question: When I run toee-front end x now it asks me to verify permission and I click 'allow' cause I have vista. I had it before that I was around that setting. What folder does that?

Thanks agaiN!

interesting, I'm a dumbass. It said that before now it has a whole whack of information in the notepad of the .cfg file. I don't know what happened, maybe file got currupted somehow.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

No, that's normal. Before you run the game for the first time, there either is no config file or it's empty (can't remember which). That's because none of the game's settings have been set yet. The fact that you had the autosave thing ticked in yours probably just means that that was the only thing that got set before your game crashed.

The 16 and 32 thing is indeed color depth. 32 is supposed to be better, but it may well be that ToEE doesn't take that much advantage of it. Personally I would set the color depth to whatever it normally is on your system so that it doesn't have to change when the game is launched.

Don't know much about Vista, sorry.

8. Templar

Things are a lot better now. I think the install was uncurrupted this time.

Cause in this game Ronald is here, I have a half orc and he belittled her. I didn't even have to pay Calmart to see Terjon he was just there.

Not only this but last install there was no intro to what Hommlet looked like in text, no extra villagers in town and in the church across the hallway from Calmart. So I think all is better than ever, as all this is here now that I never even knew.

I'll have to re-explore hommlet to see what I can find!

I lost my old saved game but I'm more eager then ever to play now!

9. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

You got Ronald? Smokin'! Still don't know what the original problem was. Pay the 100 gold and recruit his snotty ass. :thumbsup:

10. Templar

Yeah I'm wishing the file was still currupted lol :)

No actually all the good additions make up for his unbearable attitude.

I just don't know if I can put up with him! I mean DAMN he is an ass!

I told him not orcs are people to, I mean I got a CG one in my party and he called her IT and told me to Shut up. So I told him to beat it and he said....well you know all this :)

I would like an extra healer but I think I'll just take Melany and save myself a headache. I don't know how anyone can put up with him, 2 mins of him and I want to murder him. In fact I did and then reloaded after, just to shut him up.

I changed the party yet again cause I lost my last game. I have a fighter, barbarian (longspear), cleric, wizard-diviner, and a rogue (will go rogue/ranger-archery).

So I may take melany for the extra healing. She's a druid right?

11. shadow5

shadow5 Member

Meleny is a druid and she also has a good personality.But are half orcs really people? dont get me wrong I use half orcs and I'm always against St. Cuthberts toadies.

12. Templar

well not exactly people but are half human. Better then some of the other choices I had, like I agreed with him or just 'yeah here's your money'

Thinking on it as a role playing perspective, if I'm traveling with a half orc, I probably trust them and there good alignment. They are also probably a friend, so its sticking up for my friend.

13. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

Now you know why I didn't like Ronald.

I used the console to increase Meleny's strength to 18. She couldn't carry anything otherwise. She is a Druid, and heals better than my Cleric. Watch out, though. There
    are a lot of Meleny jokes here.

14. Templar

I can imagine, Meleny is kind of a twit, cute, but a twit.

I find her hyper to.

15. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Like I've said before, console Meleny's strength to 18, make her a 1/2 orc, give her the Unholy Double Axe: Perky Death! :dead::chick:

Seriously, make Ronald your bitch. ;)

Our Host!