Strange party

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Scryler, Jan 1, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I don't recall anyone talking about this. I ran into a party of adventurers on the world map. The dialogue I chose was friendly, and nothing much happened, then they went on their way...but their magical buffing effects stayed behind. Various circles of colored light. Their names were on the survival screen, but I didn't write them down. They had a dog with them.

Who are these guys? Did I screw up?

2. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

I've come across this party two and have dealt with them in a friendly manner as well.

I think they're a programmed random encounter, nothing more than that.

**aiting for the torrent of "YOU'RE WRONG!!!" screams*

3. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Kill them, take their stuff. The dialog seems to have no point . ;)

4. William_2

William_2 Member

I've run into them a few times, but never fought them. They look tough...anyone want to kick out a few spoilers? How tought they are? What they carry? Do they appear only when they are about the right level for an encounter with your group?

5. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Kill the wizard first. :flamed:

6. Stohrm Knightforger

Stohrm Knightforger Dwarven Cleric

Perhaps a "Detect alignment" is in order first; to determine whether they are diametrically oppsed to your party's alignment. After all, a Lawful/Good party shouldn't simply toss fireballs at anyone and everyone who crosses their path. Now Chaotic/Evil, that's a different story: simply look the wrong way and you're toast!

And, now that the thought/question has popped into my head, how does one use claryvoyance and the like. I suppose I ought to try it once and see what I can discover. Heck it might even rectify some of the (newly discussed) metagaming issues.

Stohrm

PS. I'm a cleric, by god, I ought to know these things!

7. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Stohrm
    Clairaduience/Clairvoyance basically allows your Wizard/Sorcerer to "see" the whole map, to include most enemies who might be lurking in ambush. It's a very handy spell for Hickory Branch and will probably come in very handy when the Welkwood Bog is finally "finished". One thing I have noticed about C/C is that when the spell expires, any areas that you have not physically explored with a member of your party will be "dark" on your map (in other words you can't use it to map out the different levels of the temple). To use C/C, simply have the spellcaster cast the spell on him/herself (no point casting it on a fighter who is weapon specialized with the longsword), and use the spell to either plot enemy positions or (in the case of Hickory Branch) obliterate them with fireballs and the like. Keep in mind that while C/C will let you see EVERYTHING within the range of the spell (even through walls) you can't cast spells or shoot arrows, etc.. at monsters who are behind walls or out of range.
    TRC

8. Stohrm Knightforger

Stohrm Knightforger Dwarven Cleric

Thanks. It's a shame it doesn't update one's map, but I guess it wasn't designed for spell caster who can walk and chew gum at the same time.

As I mentioned, though, it sounds as if it could be used to rectify metagaming issues (not that I have any myself; I play the game the way that feels right for me).

Thanks again,

Stohrm

Our Host!