Opening chests?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by General Ghoul, Dec 18, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

I have a halfling rogue/ranger with a 19 DEX and 13.5 skill in open locks, but I cannot open the chests in the moathouse, specifically the one by the giant crayfish and the one by the zombies. What am I doing wrong. I even have my bard sing competance for him. Can i keep trying or do I need to wait till a new level to try again. Or does anyone sell a knock scroll? Any way to bask it open?

Also what does the magic silver extraplanar chest do? I could not activate it or place anything inside of it, should i just sell it for the cash?

2. maalri

maalri Immortal

The Silver Extraplanar Chest is the ToEE Modders answer to a Portable Hole-- Lots of Storage-- DO NOT SELL!

Whoever is carrying it- pull up theier radial menu and it should be in the section where the inventory and potions show up. It is VERY useful.

Just don't forget to deactivate it the same way or you will leave it on that screen, and if it was a random encounter screen you will have lost it and everything in it.

Also, don't put modded magic items in it.

3. maalri

maalri Immortal

Check the rolls readout on the opening of the locks- click the blue Failure word and you should see waht number you need to reach to open that particular lock.

You are searching and disabling the traps first, right? That may be preventing the lockpick passing.

Your skill level should be well sufficcient for those traps, but you may still be off by one or two points... Guidance and/or Cat's Grace can help get those extra one or two...

4. General Ghoul

Thanks for the quick info, I will try the chests again.

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

It also worth mentioning that the unlock DCs on those chests were (re)set VERY high: ordinary lvl 1 characters probably won't cut it. If you you stack everything though - bardic Inspire Competence, Guidancee, Cat's Grace etc, you'll be ok :)

6. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Don't forget thieves' tools (masterwork, if you can) or you take a penalty. And don't forget to Identify the Extraplanar Chest

7. maalri

maalri Immortal

Oh Yeah!! I forgot the Identify on the Chest-- wont work if you don't do that!!

And yes Masterwork Thieves tools are very helpful- you can buy them at the Boatmans Tavern in Nulb...

8. General Ghoul

Ha, the problem was simple enough, I was not allowing the character enough time to do the job. I would click open locks, then see nothing, then click it again. I tried again, with competence and cat's grace, then watched the animation, he stoops then moves his arms like he is picking the lock, probably takes 5 seconds, more time than i was giving him. tried the ghoul's chest without any help and got it on the first try.

Anybody I should be pick pocketing?

9. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

EVERYONE

But, seriously, I find that picking pockets is great at low levels when you need money. Can you lift any cool magic items? Probably, yes. Maybe Elmo's dagger, or something from Skole - stuff like that.

10. Stohrm Knightforger

Stohrm Knightforger Dwarven Cleric

You definitely want to pickpocket the NPC's with locked chests; as they tend to have the key on them. In addition, as I noted elsewhere, you can steal things they are wearing or holding. Heck, you can even steal a weapon right out of their hand.

It's just too bad you can't pick and choose what you're trying to lift.

Stohrm

11. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

Is it safe to say these chests basically make the game worthless? :)

If you're rather unscrupulous, one thing you can do with slight of hand is sell stuff (probably works best with expensive gems and jewelry), steal it back, and sell it again, gaining as much money as you want. Of course, this mainly works towards the end of the game, where your skill is high enough to almost always avoid getting caught (and, thus, countless reloading).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
Our Host!