Loot Crash

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Razgovory, Dec 14, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Razgovory

Razgovory Member

I don't know if this is the imfamous loot bug but it's a game killer. When I try to loot a corpse the game often just Crashes. Though it I can loot them if there is nothing on them or I don't have any NPCs (I think). I tired to loot in combat but I don't know exactly how. Any help would be appreciated.

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Wait till combat is over. Press c to initiate combat, loot. ;)

Sounds like a problem that needs to be fixed. I don't recognize it.

3. Razgovory

Razgovory Member

I press the "C" button to instigate combat but it won't let me loot. Just attack. I sthere some kind of command I don't know about?

4. GuardianAngel82

Looting does not have a special command. You just click on the corpse, outside of combat, and take their stuff. If it crashes instead, you have a problem that needs to be corrected.

I don't know the problem you have. You may have to wait for someone who does. You might consider posting on the bug thread. Be sure to follow the bug posting directions.

My approach is to reinstall the game from scratch. ;)

5. shoprat

shoprat Member

I'm not sure of the problem either but I think we'd need to know what version of the co8 patch your using and the install order you have. because it kinda sounds like the original no loot bug that was around with the official patch 2.

6. Razgovory

Razgovory Member

Okay. I have the Co8 patch 5.5.0 and the install order was CD, Patch 1, Patch 2, then the CO8 patch. I had the same problem with 5.0.0.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I have had this happen, but only later in the game. I put it down to a corrupt save and go back a ways. How far in are you?

8. Razgovory

Razgovory Member

At the very begining. I was doing the "find Terjon's thingy" quest at the Emiredy Meadows. Only 2nd level.

EDIT: I have had this happen at the Meadows and at random encounters. Whenever there is something to loot. If the corpse has nothing to loot I have no problem.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  9. Razgovory

Razgovory Member

I hope nobody forgot me.

10. GuardianAngel82

I'm not sure anyone is going to come up with a way to help you salvage the game you're in. Have you started a new game and had the same problem? If so, my advice would be the same reinstall from scratch:

Uninstall, then delete everything remaining, including the Atari folder.

Reinstall from the disks.

Patch2

Co8-5.5.0

Of course, you could wait to see if someone has a solution. ;)

11. Razgovory

Razgovory Member

I had the reinstalled before from scratch. A few times though with 5.0.0. Since the problem continues in 5.5.0 I suspect that further reinstalls may be fruitless.

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Are you actually playing the 5.5 mod? In the front end utility, you must select 'Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.0 BETA' from the list and click the activate button, then wait a few minutes until front end is finished. (It will tell you when it is.) Then click play.

Normally people who can't loot are playing the vanilla module.

13. Razgovory

Razgovory Member

Yep. I activated, waited a period of time where it looked dead and everything. The only thing out of the ordinary I've done is play with one PC and got a gang of 5 NPCs.

14. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

If you didn't wait until the Front End gave you a pop-up box telling you it was done, then it wasn't done. In that case, I believe Agetian (the FrontEnd X creator) has said your installation is screwed and can't be recovered other than by a total uninstall and re-install.

15. Razgovory

Razgovory Member

Ah you misunderstand me. I said it looked dead. But I left it alone till it finally finished ( I had made the mistake of stoping it the first time and then uninstalled and reinstalled). When I screwed up the Front end the first time the game wouldn't load period. So I'm sure that's not it.

Our Host!