My RttToEE campaign

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Skeletom, Dec 6, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Skeletom

Skeletom Member

I think I mentioned earlier that I was running the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil campaign in 3.5 DnD.

http://www.rpg-resource.org.uk/index.php?article=1979&visual=9

Well, since I only have one player, I'm taking the game a notch up by directly tying my player's main character into the history of the first adventure.

He is playing an elf sorcerer who was born during the last destruction period of the temple during the original adventure. Unknown to him, he is actually the offspring of a defiled female elven paladin of Corellon Larethian (using Unearthed Arcana variant rules for paladins of different alignments) and a high powered demonic servant of Tharizdun. In her grief, his mother sent her child away to be raised by elves in Celene. She remained in Hommlet as Lady Rea of the Keep (I replaced Rufus with her ...Burne is still there though) to guard against any reemergence of the cult of Tharizdun.

I made up the following prophecy about the eventual release of Tharizdun:

The Prophecy of the Chosen

After the Fall of the Champion
    Five shall the Dark One’s children be
    One of Air
    One of Earth
    One of Fire
    One of Water
    And One of the Void
    Each shall bear a Mark of Power
    Each shall have dominion over their Elements
    Each shall find one another
    Each shall devour one another
    The Last and the Fallen shall become one
    The Last shall become the Chosen
    The Chosen shall slay the Guardian
    The Chosen shall lay waste to all armies of Light
    The Chosen shall open all seals
    The Chosen shall break all chains
    The Dream of Doom shall come to pass
    The Stars shall fall from the Heavens
    Darkness shall rain down upon Oerth
    Order shall be overturned and Chaos shall reign
    Behold! Death to the World! Death to all Light!
    Ia! Ia! Tharizdun Ftaghn!
    Ia! Ia! Tharizdun Ftaghn!

(yes ...yes ...the homage to Cthulhu is on purpose. Tharizdun reminds me too much of Cthulhu anyway).

My player's elf is the Child of the Void. The Champion spoken of is Lareth the Beautiful who is now the Fallen as he was raised from the dead by Hedrack. When my player comes across the other children he will have a great urge to devour their spiritual power and make it his (after defeating them in combat of course). And, yes I know this plot line sounds like Baldur's Gate -- I'm not that original ;)

My problem is that my player wants to become a Pale Master which is inevitably going to lead him down a path of evil (right now he is nuetral). His background isn't going to help. I'm not going to force him to be evil, but I'll make evil choices more tempting. So far he is not doing much to turn from evil. Later, I'm going to give him some hard choice ethical dilemmas which will hopefully make him pause and think.

Anyway, last session the npc halfling cleric in the group died. She was killed by a ghost assassin in Nulb with the Death Attack. To replace the cleric, I'm doing something a little more bold. Lareth the Fallen was in Nulb at the time. He saw the events from afar. He decided that it was time to make his move. Lareth has journeyed to Hommlet. There he killed the priestess of Ehlonna and assumed her visage with magic. Next session he will try insert himself or herself into the party as a kindly half elven priestess. He knows that my player's character is one of the children. His eventual goal is to be there when the PC consumes the last child and overcome the PC in a battle of wills. Thereby, Lareth will become the chosen. However, Lareth doesn't wish to free Tharizdun but rather wishes to devour the god's power and become a god himself. However, hopefully my PC will learn of Lareth's scheme before it is too late.

Well ...that is where I'm going with this plot line. Any critiques or suggestions? I'm all ears.

2. Skeletom

Skeletom Member

Hmmm .... :confused:

Well, how about the part about running a game where the PC wants to play evil. Are evil campaigns bad or good? Do you like playing in or running evil aligned games? Are people who wish to play evil characters prone to causing problems? I've run one before and it went ok. However, I think my players were acting more neutral.

3. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I'm not going to critique anything or make suggestions. I don't have a clue, so best to keep my mouth shut.

I do have a couple of questions, though, which you can chalk up to my general ignorance on the subject.

What are you talking about? Are you doing a paper and pencil game? Or are you somehow playing a game online?

Why is there only one player? Is it you?

4. Skeletom

Skeletom Member

Sorry ....I should have been more descriptive.

I'm running a table top game with 3.5 Ed DnD rules.

I'm the DM. There is currently only one player who is a friend of mine. The area I live in seems to lack people who are interested in playing rpgs. Especially since there are no gaming/hobby stores.

He is playing 2 characters and I'm running several npcs that are in his party. It is quite a bit of work but it is usually fun.

5. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Saving Throw vs Smart-ass Remark: Success. (+'s for painful reminder from previous chairing) :dizzy:

6. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Well, you can allow him to be a Pale master being neutral.
    Rules are there, but can be modifyed.
    On the other hand, he could become neutral evil to be able to master the Pale master powers, and try later to become at least neutral. There's no penalties for "step back", you only need the alignment to acces the class (same thing with the Assasin.).

Watch out, since Lareth is very fanatic of Lloth.
    If you're going to change him to try to gain power, then Lloth will be fully aware of that. She would probably send waves of drows and other things.
    lareth could also look for the player help, and if discovered, they can even get an arrangement :yes:

About an evil party...
    Well, i think it could work in your case, with only one player.
    Usually, in a group, everyone starts to screw up each other, so i only allow Lawful evil alignments (they can be dealt better), maybe neutral evil, if they're playing a naturally evil race, but they want "redemption". No chaotic evil in my parties.

In any case, my players usually are "stupid do-gooders", i think the most troublesome was a chaotic neutral barbarian, that become good thru the adventure. He was a pit fighter (gladiator prestige class), and the way i described the battles, he wasn't able to kill their defeated opponents. In the end he rebelled, and fought against the lords. Quite epic, with their comrades fighting among the people watching, and the barbarian on the center of the arena against all odds :)

Our Host!