How reputation works?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by silvannus, Dec 2, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. silvannus

silvannus Member

I cannot find the answer anywhere in the forum, so I ask directly. How reputation works? Apart from the reputations tag in the logbook, it seems there is something more being tracked by the game.

I have a CE party, but in Nulb' tavern I'm considered the do-gooder who cleaned the Moathouse. However, I don't even have that reputation but "Friend of Lareth the Beautiful".

Is there a reputation variable which changes with the quests you finish? I'm beginning to think that helping some people in Hommlet may have changed my reputation in someway, although my intent was always getting personal benefit.

Any hint would be appreciated. I'm playing an evil party for the first time, so I hadn't realized this details before.

Thank you!

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

reputations are set when certain quests are completed, how you complete the quest can in some instances determine the rep you get (eg the moathouse). The moathouse is clear, therefor you got the moathouse cleaner rep, lareth is still alive so your a friend of lareth also, you can kill lareth and get only the cleaner rep, IIRC the NPC comments on your rep are determined by the last rep you gain, so perhaps the cleaner rep got set after the friend rep? :shrug:

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Here's a thing that will explain everything - probably more than you wanted to know - on Reputations.

Repuations and Reactions

4. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Interesting tutorial Ted. How much have ToEE reputations evolved since 2006?

I posted something unusual regarding reputations in Sitra's New Content Removal mod thread. Have a look see if you have a moment.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  5. blackwind

blackwind Established Member

How does one get master of the crude insult or something like that?

6. Skeletom

Skeletom Member

Well, I haven't encountered too many situations where this comes into play. But, I guess since I'm playing Chaotic Really Freaking Good, I'm used to everyone being like "Top of the morning to you." - except some people in Nulb.

One thing that happened I thought was a really good detail was when I was in Verbobonc. I went to talk to the viscount while I still had mirror image up. When I went to speak to him, he went "Those are most twins I've ever seen" or something like that. And when I spoke to him again, he said "Which one am I speaking to this time?" :giggle: I mean I thought it was good detail when the npcs responded to the fact that I was naked one time ....but for a spell? Wow!

7. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

What is Tatterdemalion Tutelary?

8. Allyx

Yup, that commentary is all Troika's work... and probably a throw back from the arcanum engine too.

9. Allyx

master of the crude insult is when you say a cheeky response to Eddie's dad (can't remember which though)

Tatterdemallion tutelary is for making 3 of the hommlet residents homeless. ;)

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Isn't that 'beggar maker'? :scratchhe

EDIT: Basil: no, the reps haven't changed since 2006, unless any were added for HB.

11. blackwind

I believe Beggar Maker is if you make one of the three homeless. If you do it to all three you get Tatterdemaillion.

Allyx thanks for the info.

12. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

So if I take Furnok into the party, then let him go, do I get a Beggar Maker rep?

I notice that he seems to be having a good time...always talking to the same girl, sometimes inside the Inn, sometimes out.

13. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Homeless? One of the three? All 3?

Which people are you referring to and how do you make them homeless? I haven't experienced this situation yet. Is this for evil parties?

14. silvannus

silvannus Member

Really impressive!

That's exactly what I wanted, a detailed description that helped me understand how the game works about reactions.

I can guess now that I have completed several quests which have reduced the reaction to the evil faction some people in Nulb belong to.

I was "too clever" thinking that I could complete all the quests helping people in Hommlet, and not be disliked by the bad guys just because I made friends with Lareth :roll: .

15. blackwind

How you handle Eriter, Cavanagh and Otello determines which rep you attain. If you intimidate Cavanagh, lie to Eriter about the miller and rat out Otello you get Tatterdemallion rep. All three end up in front of the Welcome Wench. If you do 1 of three you get Beggar Maker. You may be able to get if 2 of them end up with the Tatterdemallion rep but I'm not sure because I generally make all 3 homeless or only 1 of them based on party alignent.

Edit: Other than obvious grammatical errors. I neglected to metion that Hommlet citizens will give you the "angry" greeting. This of course includes Otis and Mother Screng.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
Our Host!