stopped booting??!?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ethelion, Nov 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. ethelion

ethelion Member

Hi
    My game has suddenly stopped loading up, i use the front-end and Co8 mod an it appears in the task manager then disappers. It was working fine before and i havnt changed anything to do with the game??
    iv uninstalled it with and without mods/nocd patch and still no change??
    Thanks for any Help!!

2. maalri

maalri Immortal

When this happenned to me I fixed it by rebooting the computer alone. Sometimes I had to actully remove the disk, but never re-install (well except the FIRST time it happened but that didn't fix anything)

Now this will happen to me still and when it does, I fix it by rebooting the computer and physically removing the disk, putting it back in (Hit NO on the DO you want to play TOEE now prompt) and then wait a few minutes, like 5, then boot up TOEEFE.

This usually happens if I kill the game without quitting it properly- because I play "Ironman" but I cheat sometimes if I die :)

Is that when yours stopped booting?

3. ethelion

ethelion Member

I just started it and it didnt work. i dont play ironman and i took the disc out and rebooted but that dosnt work?
    I hadnt played it for about a week then ran it and it opens next to the start menu but dosnt do anything then dissappears?

4. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Oh no...
    let's hope that is not another problem with the damned windows update...my pc has been doing strange things lately, and i didn't touched anything...

5. ethelion

ethelion Member

Windows updates!!?
    Great yes i have updated windows, what do i do now? I didnt realise it would effect games???
    is there anyway of getting back to the old windows?

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I've got the cabs of Win98 if you want them.

7. ethelion

ethelion Member

Hi Thanks
    i have windows xp though would that still work? and what do the cabs do? thanks for the reply!

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Cabs are cabinet files, they're like Windows versions of .zips: its like the whole operating system zipped up.

Although I seriously do use Win98 myself, it was not a serious offer ;) You shouldn't roll back your operating system 10 years just to play a game, not even one as great as ToEE.

Has anyone else had issues recently due to a XP update, and if so, how did they deal with them? Are there known drivers that need updating to match?

9. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

Could this be a variant of the Anti-virus false positive bug?

Happened to me, but I'm not sure if it was a bad install, or AVG.

10. ethelion

ethelion Member

iv had the virus but i installed it anyway because i read it wasnt a virus?
    And iv stopped my virus scanner when iv installed it.
    It just always goes to a black screen then to the desktop?

11. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Hmm... you mean you launch the game and then... no crash but
    you don't see the movies, right? Try to alt+tab and maximize the game. My ToEE happens to do that.

12. ethelion

ethelion Member

yeah sort of. it just goes black as if its loading it then goes back to the desktop with no toee at the bottom where the start menu is. i tryed the alt-tab but that didnt work? but thanks though

13. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

Hmm... judging from the symptoms it's a corrupt install... Don't know what caused your game to go haywire though... Did you apply the Atari patches before installing the mods? I'm guessing that you did but it's always good to make sure.

14. ethelion

ethelion Member

yeh iv installed the patches before the mods, i looked to see if it worked before applying the mods but it still dosnt, and iv reinstalled it a lot of times?
    o well thanks for your help anyway, i might just not bother with it anymore, as i have taken the windows update off and done all the other things suggested?

15. Haakon1

Haakon1 Member

I think I have a similar problem. I'm running Windows XP with all the latest updates (just did them).

I've had this problem for a long time and finally thought I could fix it with the Co8 mods.

Here's what I did today:
    - Go to Windows Update, install all patches, reboot.
    - Go to Co8 forum, read 5.5.0 instructions.
    - Remove TOEE. Hunt down the file folder, and see it's empty.
    - Reload TOEE from disks (legit, Amazon.com bought disks that worked fine about a year ago).
    - Follow Co8 instructions and links. Load Atari Patch 1. Load Atari Patch 2.
    - Download Co8 5.5.05.rar. Can't figure out what .rar is. Follow Windows instruction to open with IE, which of course is a very stupid suggestion. Search for .rar. Find a free download recommended at the top of MS's Live Search on .rar. Download it. Say no to a ton of "would you like to mess up your computer by adding this" suggestions. Double click the .rar. Nothing. Right click .rar. It gives me the choice to run the .rar reader. Open, save files as directed to c:\Program Files\Atari\Temple of Elemental Evil.
    - Double click and run Co8's TFE-FX.exe. It boots up to ToEE Front-End X. Hit play.
    - Like before all this, it goes through the motions of loading, but actually doesn't:
    1) Cranks up the CD disk drive.
    2) Makes the screen go black.
    3) Brings up Atari logo.
    4) Brings up Troika logo.
    5) Goes back to the desktop, without getting any further. No TOEE window is opened.

Ugh. Any idea how to fix this?

I tried TFE-X repair.exe, but it didn't detect any problems.

Our Host!