Level Cap Issue?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Masked Marauder, Nov 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Masked Marauder

Masked Marauder Member

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I think I found a possible bug with the level cap.

Here's what I did:

I'm running ToEE (Jewel case/bargain bin) + Patch 1 + Patch 2 + 5.5 on Vista Home Premium SP1.

I just picked up Lareth and decided to level him up past 10 before we go to the temple for an added challenge using the experience cheat. I activated the cheat and leveled him up, but it wouldn't go past 10. I had only one PC in my party with the rest being 5 NPCs. I also had the "Use Level Cap" menu option to FALSE. Then I began to think that maybe in order to have the level cap raised, the user needs to have the "Use Level Cap" option clicked and set to above 10. I clicked it to TRUE and set it to 20 and attempted to level up Lareth again, but still no dice. Then I thought that I might have to start a new game in order for the level cap to be removed (or raised to 20, if you prefer). I did so, and started out with the premade PC Paladin female. Got to Hommlet and did the xp cheat. Unfortunately, still no love. In this instance, I had the Use Level Cap set to TRUE and the level set to 20. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the help guys. Keep up the great work.

2. Cetali

Cetali Member

I don't know about a level cap cheat, but using the option to raise the cap in the frontend works fine. Just set it to 20 there.

3. Masked Marauder

Masked Marauder Member

I did all of that, but I can't reach level 11. I have more than enough experience, but still no love. Bug?

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'll test this but that stuff involves changes made in the .dll and they weren't introduced by 5.5. Probably an unfamiliarity with how ToEEFEX works, but as I said I will test it and we will both see :)

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Double post, 'cause I can :cool:

I tested this, Eminem, I had no trouble getting a PC to level 11. I had both 'Use level cap' and 'set level cap' unchecked in the options of TFE-X. My TFE-X.ini basically said

False
    False
    False
    False
    False
    False
    False
    False
    False
    Circle of Eight Mod Patch 5.5.0 beta

(that last line is from memory, may not exactly match).

But in any case its the third 'false' that seems to be whether you have the level cap in place. Without it you should go to 20 by default.

6. Masked Marauder

Masked Marauder Member

@Shiningted:

I pasted your options into my ini file after which it looked like this:

False
    False
    False
    False
    False
    False
    False
    False
    False
    Temple of Elemental Evil

Before, my ini looked like this:

False
    False
    True
    True
    True
    False
    True
    True
    True
    Temple of Elemental Evil

Sadly, even with your settings (nothing enabled), I still can't reach level 11 with the XP cheat. I started a new game and tried it with a Half-Elf Bard on the CG Party Alignment.

My PC:

I'm running ToEE (Jewel case/bargain bin) + Patch 1 + Patch 2 + 5.5 on Vista Home Premium SP1 as an administrator with a Duel Core (e6300) and a Geforce 7600 GT.

Maybe it's just a quirk with my machine. :(

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

@MM -

Did you actually activate the Co8 module in TFE-X before playing, and is it highlighted in the list of modules when you launch the game through TFE-X? If you're playing the vanilla game, that would explain why no levelling over 10.

8. Masked Marauder

Masked Marauder Member

Gaear,

I hate to admit it, but I'm a bloody fool. That was it. I apologize for being a pain in the arse. I'm off to throw away my dunce cap and play your guys' wonderful mod. Thanks again. :)

9. CAM

CAM Member

Im having a similar problem. I have a digital download version of the game, which I patched to version 2 (after doing the registry fix). I already had net framework 2.0 installed so next I installed the Co8 5.5.0 beta. The problem is, all my PCs get stuck at 54999 xp and cant advance past level 10. I DO have the mod activated in the frontend (the Co8 modpack is listed as active, and I am able to access all the new Co8 maps, etc) I tried editing my config file to match the one posted in this thread but no luck still. As a side-note, I also tried the options for max HP's per level and increased party size but neither of those options seemed to function correctly either. I also tried changing the max level and then checking the "use level limit" option but again, no luck. Changing all of these settings in the frontend seemed to make the correct changes to the config file, but none of those settings are actually being implemented when the game launches it seems. (edit: not entirely true, the game will run in windowed mode when I tick that option in the launcher)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  10. CAM

CAM Member

Ok, looks like I found a solution. After reinstalling, I noticed that the game .exe file was rather large, like 2.06 megs. (I guess it was the version with the .dll packaged with it). After replacing that file with a nocd version (that was much smaller) everything seems to be working fine. Hopefully anyone else experiencing similar problems can solve them easily this way. On the downside, all my saves got corrupted when I did this, but oh well... at least I can play the Co8 mod in its full glory now. Thx to the Co8 team for putting out such a great great mod!

Our Host!