Raising Limit of Amount of NPCs in Party

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Masked Marauder, Nov 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Masked Marauder

Masked Marauder Member

This isn't a bug, but rather a feature request. I noticed that the minimum number of PCs in the party can't go below 3 whereas the max number of NPCs in the party can't go above 5. Is it possible to lower this value to 1 PC and have 7 NPCs? I prefer to play with only 1 PC and to have more than 5 NPCs would, at least for me, increase the immersion factor of the storyline. I did notice that you can change this in the TFE-X.ini file which I did and it worked fine in game, but does this create problems later on? Also, I want to note that when I reported my 2 other bugs, I had the PCs set at 3 and NPCs at 5, so this change wasn't in effect when I was testing the level cap or disabling the intro movies.

2. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Well, on the old Frontend, you can edit the TempleFrontend Configuration file. But there are two things to be aware of:
    1) If your single PC gets knocked unconscious, game over. Your NPCs cannot help him. Not sure about effects like sleep, etc....
    2) You will probably not be able to recruit Mother Screng & Hruda unless you have no other NPCs (except Otis) at that time.

3. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Also, I'd like to add that such a change is not officially supported by the Circle of Eight Team and can potentially cause engine errors, including potential corruption of the saved game files. It's more of an internal engine limitation, not a TFE-X or ToEEFE limitation. Theoretically it may be possible to play through the entire game with 1 PC and 7 NPCs without experiencing any extra crashes or saved game corruption, but if it happens to you under such conditions, please remember that we warned you about it. ;)

- Agetian

4. Masked Marauder

Masked Marauder Member

Good points from both of you guys. Thanks. Even though it's unsupported, I'm going to give it a whirl anyway and see if I can beat the game with 1 PC and 7 NPCs just to see if it can be done. Thanks for your help guys.

5. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

With the original pc patch counter you could play 1/7, but it was so unstable and so many "strange" things happened. Never could get very far into the game without something happening. So as Ted warned, don't be surprized if if doesn't work out well

6. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I found 2 PCs to be very stable. I considered that my PC paladin had a dumbass half-orc monk lackey - both devoted to St.Cuthbert. Ok, I confess, I had to use the console to switch the religion around.

7. Lightsfantastic

Lightsfantastic Member

One can make a legal Cuthbert Paladin, but he/she will have to start out as a LG fighter and switch to Paly later and of course never go back.

8. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

How do the deities affect the Paladins?

Our Host!