No Intro Movies Bug?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Masked Marauder, Nov 28, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Masked Marauder

Masked Marauder Member

I've got another possible issue that I've been able to replicate 100%.

Again, I'm running ToEE (Jewel case/bargain bin) + Patch 1 + Patch 2 + 5.5 on Vista Home Premium SP1.

When I click the "Disable Intro" button and run the game, as soon as I get to the menu options screen, my game freezes and I need to end it in task manager (I get a "not responding" in task manager). If I leave the intro movies on, I don't have this problem. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.x + CMF Bug Reports and Discussion Thread

Its an little thing, but Agetian recommends running as Administrator when playing in Vista. This cured some issues I was having. Are you doing that?

3. Masked Marauder

Masked Marauder Member

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.x + CMF Bug Reports and Discussion Thread

Shiningted:

Yes, I am running as admin. Sorry I didn't mention that before. Also, I am using AVG Free Anti-virus if that helps. Thanks for the quick reply.

4. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

I don't know what's troubling you, I just tried it on my installation which is exactly the same as your (patch 1 + patch 2 + Co8 5.5 with TFE-X 2.1 on Windows Vista SP1) and I don't get a freeze when the intros are disabled. No idea. At least it doesn't look like something that I can do anything about. Is anyone else experiencing this?

- Agetian

Last edited: Nov 28, 2008
  5. Masked Marauder

Masked Marauder Member

The only other thing I can think of that might be a difference between us that might affect things is that I'm on a dual core machine (e6300). If that's not it, I'm not sure what could be the problem. :( It's a really minor issue though and it plays fine with them enabled, but I'd hate to be the only guy out there with this.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

@Masked Marauder -

When you leave the intro movies on, do they actually play in-game? There have been reports that Vista users need to install Rad Video Tools (the BINK video codec that ToEE uses) in order for ToEE movies to work properly. You might try that, even though it doesn't sound like that's your problem exactly. There's no harm in installing it anyway.

7. Agetian

@ Masked Marauder: Well, a friend of mine plays the new 5.5.0 beta on a e4500 dual-core CPU with intros disabled (he always has the intros disabled), and he never reported a problem like that.

- Agetian

8. Masked Marauder

Masked Marauder Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Gaear. I installed Rad Video Tools and still have the same problem. When the movies are enabled, I see the following in order:

Atari
    Troika
    Wizards of the Coast
    Dungeons and Dragons loading screen and bar
    ToEE Intro Movie
    ToEE Menu

When disabled, I see the following:

Dungeons and Dragons loading screen and bar
    ToEE Menu

The game freezes about 2 to 3 seconds after I reach the menu. Mouse freezes and the screen doesn't scroll to the "temple interior", but I still hear the cool eerie music.

9. Masked Marauder

Masked Marauder Member

I'm not sure then, bro. :( Maybe it's just my system then... Thanks for the help though.

10. Agetian

Hmm... I dunno. Well, ToEE is really picky about hardware and software, and some combinations may prove to be a little more problematic than others. At least it's a minor enough issue that doesn't affect the game itself in case you're running it with intros enabled. :)

- Agetian

11. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

During one of my attempts to install/play the new modpack, I had the same thing happen. I also had the intro movies disabled. I also have a dual-core computer.

After several frustrating and comical attempts, uninstalling, deleting and reinstalling from start to finish (I believe I had the menu freeze occur twice), I finally have a game with no problems to date (I hope). Undoubtably one or maybe two attempts and failures were due to my own ineptitude, but maybe not all of them. I'm not complaining...I really appreciate the trouble you guys have gone to...just thought after reading this thread that you might want to know that someone else had the same problem. I thought it was something I was doing wrong (and maybe it was???).

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Anyone else out there with a dual-core PC that can confirm or deny this?

13. Masked Marauder

Masked Marauder Member

I've been messing around with this and I found something interesting. I disabled the movies in the frontend and then looked at the movies folder to see how Agetian does the removal and changed introcinematic.bik0 to introcinematic.blk to get it to play again and everything worked (the menu didn't freeze). Granted, I had to see the intro movie (or hit esc), but the removal of the movies before that was fine. However, as soon as I change it back to introcinematic.bik0 thereby removing it from the queue, the game would freeze 2-3 seconds into the menu screen like "normal". So, by this information, we can assume that the problem lies somewhere between the Dungeons and Dragons loading screen and the menu screen. Conversely, I did the opposite (keep the beginning "logo" movies and remove the game movie) and the menu froze which supports the above. At the very least, I don't have to see the other movies anymore. :)

14. Agetian

Btw, just checked it with friends on a E8400 dual-core PC with a 9600GT videocard, worked fine (no freezing) without any movies. Not sure what the problem is, likely to be just ToEE being picky about something... Nice find about the 'introcinematic' file... not sure why it works for you that way and doesn't work with all movies disabled, beats me. I tried it on 3 PCs so far, two of them dual-core, and haven't been able to reproduce it. But anyway, I'm glad you got it sorted out! Enjoy the mod! :)

- Agetian

15. Zagig

Zagig Member

Just wanted to note that I am having exactly the same problem as Marauder but I don't have a dual-core PC. I don't mind leaving the intro movie on so it's no big deal, but wanted to let everyone know that it doesn't seem to be just dual-core that have the problem. Yes, I have the same installation. I am running Vista-64, though. Maybe that's where the problem is?

Our Host!