attribute editor

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Templar, Nov 18, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Templar

Templar Established Member

I'm looking for a mod of some kind to adjust attributes to characters. During creation, stat roll, I would like to plus and minus certain ones and the flat out 10's with 20 or so extra points doesn't quite cut it. Thanks.

2. Kamanze

Kamanze 7th son of a 7th son

If you find this mod let me know

Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  3. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

I remember I wrote a tool in the past that allowed you to "regenerate" the PC stats per PHB 3.5E, with different methods in mind. However, I never finished it to the state that would work for public release, and then got carried away with other things like ToEEWB and the front-end. And now, browsing through my backup DVDs, I can't even locate the source code. :( I'll look some more though.

Writing a tool like that would be easy though, given that you can use ObjectFormat.dll (the object format codec that can be used to read and write player files) to handle the data input/output. All you would need to do is write the GUI and write a couple simple functions that would read the data from the player file and then write it back (easy with ObjectFormat), plus a function to actually adjust the characteristics or re-roll them or whatever you'd like. ObjectFormat.dll codec can be found in the Addins folder of ToEEWB btw, it's a library that's also used for my ToEE Editor Utilities that come prepackaged with the ToEE World Builder.

I hardly have time to write a tool like that myself right now (at the moment I'm involved in other, much more important Co8 projects that are pending release), but if anyone is willing to do it, I can help with the ObjectFormat codec (explain how it works etc.). You'll have to write the tool in a .NET language though because ObjectFormat is a .NET library (so, use C#.NET, VB.NET, or managed VC++.NET).

- Agetian

4. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Agetian, I know a far easier way, involving NO mod at all. I don't see this atom bomb mentioned, so I've never said anything about it. SHOULD I say something about it? Please, feel free to delete this post. That can be my answer.

5. Agetian

Well, obviously you can cheat the characteristics in, too, if that's your insinuation, but my tool actually obeyed the PHB 3.5E and didn't allow to do anything beyond the limits of the rulebook. :p

- Agetian

6. GuardianAngel82

You can cheat, and follow the rulebook exactly. What you're proposing is modding the character generation for the game then? Can we add races or charecter classes? :gotmyatte

7. Ax Thrower

Ax Thrower Blood Lust

If my memory serves me right there was one on sorcerers.net (or something like that) but 9 times out of 10 it messed up the character file... also you can not become a race / class that does not appear in TOEE or Front End.

8. Agetian

Well, it's not exactly modding the game - it's just writing a tool that would regenerate the character's primary characteristics for you. :) Adding races and classes is far more advanced and will require you to actually modify the game's DLL file (which is far better when you have the source code, and we don't).

- Agetian

9. GuardianAngel82

Shame. To have only the choices available in Icewind Dale II would just rock! :peace:

10. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

I've never had a problem with TCE (the character editor at Sorcerer's Place) but then again, I never use it to edit anything other than the attributes, and even then, only within reason. (I.E. - I never use it to set the character to all 99's or anything rediculous like that.)

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That is a good editor, but bear in mind also that if you use it to add more feats than any particular class should have, the character will become broken and you won't be able to use it.

The tool can be gotten at Sorcerer's Place here.

12. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

So how does one actually use this editor? I downloaded it, just to have it (heh), but don't have a clue where to put it to use it.

13. GuardianAngel82

I put a copy in the character file. To use, select LOAD from the tool bar, when finished, select SAVE.

I've overloaded character's feats and gotten a useable character. Sometimes there's a problem if I've made the wrong choices. I've never had whirlwind attack on a chararcter, except this way. Maybe I don't do it enough to have a lot of problems. Super characters are boring.

Keep in mind it will break a character about 1/2 of the time. So copy what you like, that works, to another file. ;)

14. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I think I understood the info previous to this sentence, but I'm not getting this one.

15. GuardianAngel82

No problem. If you have a character that you like, and don't want it destroyed, save a copy of the file in a safe place outside the Player file. That way if TCE "breaks" the character, you still have a backup. ;)

Our Host!