Intallation problem

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Icar, Nov 11, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Icar

Icar Member

First of all I would like to give a warm thank you to everyone who has worked on making Temple of elemental evil an exceptionally great game. People like me are still digging out their old copies and replaying the improved version.
    I haven't played in a while and I would like to use the beta version 5.06. When I click the front end exe in the rar it seems to be extracting but then tells me I must start toee from the root folder. What am I doing wrong?

Please make any explanations simple for a computer cave-man such as myself. Even now, I am hitting the keyboard with a fish to make the letters appear.

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Install:

ToEE
    Patch 2
    Co8-5.0.0 (this has the frontend)
    cmf 5.0.6 (very beta)

Go back and forth between cmf disc. and bugs thread and the cmf submissions thread after 9/28 until you get 5.0.6 patched.

The game is playable after each of the above steps. Getting 5.0.6 together is complicated and time-consuming, since it is not ready yet. There is also a new frontend.

Or you can avoid the work and aggravation and just wait until everything is put together. Which will be "soon".

I, of course, would never wait. ;)

3. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

A new, prepackaged version of the Circle of Eight Mod (v5.5.0) is coming really soon. We're working hard on it at the moment and we hope to make a release as soon as we can (can't give you an exact release date yet though).

As for CMF 5.0.6 - it's complicated and time-consuming to get it running properly, so unless you feel adventurous enough, it might be better for you to wait for a while until the new version 5.5.0 comes out - it'll be a simple-to-install package, with detailed instructions and everything, and with all the latest fixes from CMF 5.0.6 (and even more AFAIK) already included there.

To answer your other questions:

1) Avoid using the old ToEE Front-End (the one that doesn't have the "X" in the title), it's known to have issues, especially with the 5.0.6. It's also unsupported anyway.

2) In order to begin using the new ToEE Front-End X (which you should do, and which seems to be something you tried to do) you need to actually extract the archive with ToEE Front-End X into the game folder. Otherwise you'll keep getting the "...have to start it from your game folder..." error because you're actually trying to run it from inside the archive, not from the game's root folder.

- Agetian

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  4. RandomMan

RandomMan Member

Will it be out this month? Also, if I use 5.0.0, will my save games from it worj with the new co8 version you guys are working on?

5. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Co8 5.5.0 will require you to start a new game, it won't work with the old saved games from version 5.0.0 or any other prior version of the Circle of Eight Mod.

It's hard to predict when exactly the new version is going to be released. Like I said, we're incredibly close to the time of release, at least if we're talking about a public beta. Then again, it could be as close as a couple days and as far as a couple months, really, depending on how things turn out to work. Sorry, it's really hard to be totally sure about such things. Please be patient.

- Agetian

6. Icar

Icar Member

Thanks for the replies. I am going to wait there are too many ways I feel I can muck this up.

When I extracted the files into the directory it overwrote the front end with the one from the rar, I am clearly in over my head.:twitch:

I will check back again in a couple of weeks.

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Don't forget, Co8-5.0.0 rocks, and is easy to install. It's just not as up-to-date as 5.5.0. ;)

Our Host!