Hickory Branch maps replacement and fixes

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Aurelinus, Nov 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Aurelinus

Aurelinus Member

While I'm still working on polish translation module for 5.0.6, I thought someone could be interested in at least looking at it.
    These are "new" maps for Hickory Branch, the crypt and fix for lacking minimap for Gnarley Forest. Gnarley Forest also got pathfinding for easier navigation. They are standard for translation module and don't look, welll, different than other maps in the game and Co8 mod.
    If you would like to use them all you have to do is unzip into game's direction (even no need to play a new game, but if you were there you just will see a new environment only).

The pack contains also correction for jumppoints messed with the release of "Iolo tower fixes" and yet not corrected affecting Ogres' CaveLair, Temple Tower Ruins and exit from HB crypt (I needed to correct bugged exit from crypt so why not correct all messeded exits?).

All was extensively tested, but let me know if sth is wrong.

[link removed because this mod will break your game if applied to a Co8 mod]

Here is an overview of the new map (it looks finally little better, but no time to scan it again):

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2008
  2. BigLittleBoy

BigLittleBoy Member

Wow! :largeclap
    Ha! I knew it! There was something brilliant in your rudeness. Old quote:
    "Nice people are often not good people and good people are often not nice people".

I just want to warn you - Gaear is working on new Hickory Branch map. I your purpose was to punish or intimedate him, it's not quite a good idea, since he is the lord of this domain.

But i'm already impressed, you want to create additional mods for ToEE - that's great, we're sharing common goal. Keep up your good work.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  3. Aurelinus

Aurelinus Member

I'm none good/not good nor rude - just some people here take things too personally and yes, they don't probably understand the difference between criticizing their job and themselves. That's not my fault and I'm not specially insulted myself by all those harrasments, until someone calls my mother/wife for example, and that is for sure smooth difference between.

The map is no punishment neither something like that. I just want to finish translation and give people the best module on that is possible. Original Hickory map looks bad that's all.
    If new map will be available before I finish (alfa version of translation is available right now) I'll quit this one. No problem. There is also possibility that Gaear will ask to use it in Co8 mod (very little I believe), why not if he likes it.

4. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Your work is quite impressive. I wish I had your talent and patience.

As an expatriate communication consultant, I find your exchanges at times to be quite chafing; nevertheless, I do believe your intentions are honorable. I am writing now because I respect your talent and I do not want the community to lose you as a resource due to some miscommunication, which I do not believe should be attributed to language proficiency.

Do the modders here take things personally? I sure would!! Modding is not their job; they are using their personal time. Stating that someone else's map looks bad is not constructive. I'm sure it took Gaear a whole lot of time and energy to provide that for us all to enjoy.

Aurelinus, I humbly suggest that when you level-up take skill focus (Diplomacy) for your next feat, or at least put some ranks in it.;) Add some praise before negotiating / persuading for any changes. Please review your posts before sending them and double-check what you wrote for "anything that appears to be demanding". If you aren't certain about how your tone might be interpreted, add some polite phrases up front.

Friend, you are welcome to PM me if you would like to discuss this further. I am more than willing to assist a member of this community with something that is within my professional area of expertise - with my own personal time.

5. Aurelinus

Aurelinus Member

Basil, full respect that you at least try to be diplomat, but that's not the point. I always try to answer as much as possible, don't have exactly private time to look for words that would not hurt someone too touchy, especially while i don't agree some conclusions even if i'm the last to be heard and meaning between members. There must be a feat "tolerance" more useful than diplomacy. I try to do my job, without looking what others say until it is constructive and helpfull. If you called that map the worst you ever saw I don't get it personally, I try to make it better. Please, feel the difference since Gaear shouldn't really feel offended for my job. If he is I am sorry, but it is pointless to say I like old map while not. But wanted to be helpful this way not offensive.

6. Aurelinus

Aurelinus Member

As I heard form Gaear there was a change in maps nomenclature, if you use the last fixes (i don't know really which ones) and want to see these maps in game just put modules>ToEE>art>Hickory branch (only) files into game they will work the same with old files or you will be misplaced after exiting HB crypt. You can also add modules>ToEE>maps>Hickory branch mob files and hickory branch crypt mob.s to have it working fully. Missing mini map for Gnarley forest resides ni "townmaps".

If anyone would be interested I can prepare additional instalation on those unannounced changes. (PM please)

7. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

It WOULD NOT take up any of your "private time" to take a little effort to make sure your posts ARE NOT abrasive. Regardless of your intentions, your DELIVERY needs work!

Think about it.... if you were writing any sort of professional letter, no matter what the subject, you would want (i hope) to make sure the letter got your point across in a firm, but polite way. The same would go with any posts made here. This forum has a level off maturity where the current tone of your posts just doesn't quite fit.

Read between the lines of the responses sent to you. Everyone is willing to help you and each other, not attack, but it all depends on the TONE of your posts.

IMHO, take Basil up on his offer.

8. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Is this the same guy from Poland that was banned a couple of months ago? The disregard for the concerns of others seems similar. I don't consider myself a good judge of character or intentions, but long posts about the supposed transgressions of others seems to be a bad sign. Ditto for long posts, period.

I've been teaching for 21 years, and I've worked with a lot of..."mentally non-standard" people. SImply put, if they can work with others, they have my support. But, if they have to do things their own way, they have to go somewhere else. It's not for sake of peace and harmony, but for the simple fact that work will be disrupted and we will lose good people. Co8 is a team, which means we must work together.

If A-boy is as good as he thinks he is, then he doesn't need us. I'd be delighted to try out his wonderful BG/ToEE mod as soon as it is posted on Sorcerer's Place or wherever. ;)

9. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Aurelinus was given a temporary ban before for his insulting and disrespectful behavior (since Oct 31 till Nov 07 or something like that) but he chose not to reconsider his ways and therefore got permanently banned today.

- Agetian

10. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

A temporary, then a permanent ban, seems like a reasonable policy.

It's a shame some people can't work well with others. But one-person websites aren't that hard to do. Then he could work in his own little world.

Unless he's thirteen years old, he's got real issues. He can't say we must ignore how he expresses himself while complaining how others treat him. He wasn't undiplomatic, he was emotionally unstable. I wonder if he visited us only after using something.

He obviously was targeting Gaear's work on HB, after Gaear, as a moderator, was trying to get him to show a little consideration for others. I wonder how much he would have supported his work if he had gotten it accepted. He didn't seem like the type to put in long hours for the benefit of others.

I still can't believe so many of you guys do. :thumbsup:

11. BigLittleBoy

BigLittleBoy Member

Hmm..., i was sure he will be banned permanently sooner or later.
    Rude people can be, in fact, very nice. Such, bad attitude is the way (best available in their opinion) to protect themselves. Sometimes is better to ignore their negative behavior and show them they are/they could be respected. Sad. Ok, no more pseudo psychology.

On his website he published his bio - He's almost 40:shrug:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I think he did some good work - his map above does look rather impressive - but there's no way we could have forged a working relationship with him. If Co8 were a business (which of course it's not, which is all the more reason we have to just get along), I suspect he'd be summarily dismissed in short order due to disrupting workflow with his strange antics. Imagine for example if we actually were on some kind of deadline, with Atari or somebody tapping their fingers waiting for a software delivery and their execs calling us every day to find out what the status was. The presence of an Aurelinus in that scenario would be nearly fatal.

As it is, it was merely irritating and counter-productive, ultimately, and there's no reason we should have to put up with that. If this were work, you could say you were getting paid to put up with it. But this isn't work, it's play. People normally don't seek out antagonism as a recreational activity. At least not normal people, as GA alluded to.

There also seemed to be some kind of a weird martyr complex going on there ("You are an a-hole, and I am the martyr that has to endure you, but somehow I persist ... god knows how I find the strength, but I do it anyway. btw, did I tell you you are an a-hole?"), but enough with the analysis.

Let us move forward unencumbered. ;)

Our Host!