ToEE Front End Error Reporting

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Cerulean the Blue, Nov 13, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lady Victoria

Lady Victoria Member

Hi Gaear, yeah I have .Net 2.0 service pack 1. If I uninstall the 5.0.0 patch will I have to re start my game? When I extract the CMF patch, do you extract every thing or just the 3 folders? I extracted everything to the ToEE directory. I also didn't install patch 1. I just went straight for patch 2 cause it said most of the time you don't need patch one. Thanks for the response I didn't mean to be a pest.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Nah, we're here to help (or try to anyway. ;)) To be safe you should start a new game, yes. And it sounds like you're installing the patch correctly too (just extract the entire thing to the ToEE directory). Hopefully it'll work that way.

3. Lady Victoria

Lady Victoria Member

I'll give that a shot. It's a shame cause Front End looked pretty sweet. :)

4. deni

deni Member

May I get full description of all settings of the ToEE frontend?

5. Gaear

I've been having a consistent run of front end problems lately, since doing a total reinstall about two months ago. My problems seem to always involve 0004 errors, which involve moving the music and movie folders, according to the front end error codes thread.

Specifically, if I deactivate a module, then launch a different module, I get the 'will now launch' message, followed by the 0004 error message, and then the game launches anyway, but there is no music (and presumably no movies, but I haven't checked that). Then, after quitting the game, subsequent launch attempts result in the 0004 message and the game refusing to launch at all.

A check of the ToEE directory tree shows that the music and movies folders are in a 'FrontEnd' folder amongst the other data folders. If I move them to their correct locations in the active module, the game will then start properly and music will play, etc.

Incidentally, I notice that the music .mp3s are actually in a subfolder called 'sound,' which isn't quite right as far as the normal ToEE file structure is concerned. (Where the proper subfolder is sound\music.)

Also, at times, front end seems confused about which module is active, as reflected in the ToEE directory tree. e.g., after doing what I describe above, I may find that vanilla is considered active (no data.ToEE present), even though it's not the active module, and then a subsequent check may show something entirely different.

Any idea what the deal is here? These results are very consistent.

6. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

I have experienced this recently as well, and I am still using CMF 5.05 (May 2008?). This was what I thought was caused by AVG 8.0 Resident Shield a month or so ago.

I was able to "preserve" the game by copying my Saves to another folder, deleting, and reinstalling everything. I then copied my Saves back into the clean install and everything worked...for a while, at which point repeating the process worked again.

I haven't had this problem re-appear since I disabled Resident Shield in AVG.

I'm an XP SP2 user, in case it matters.

--thearioch

7. Gaear

Thanks thearioch, I'll check that out being as I use AVG too. :thumbsup:

btw, why do they have to hit you over the head with that big red 'something's wrong!' exclamation point in the taskbar when you've simply disabled a single function of the software? It's not like the world's going to end because of it.

I hate when programs do that.

[edit] Meh, didn't do it for me. Still got the problem. :(

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  8. Rodzaju

Rodzaju Member

I've encountered an error that I can't see mentioned here.

A month ago I uninstalled (via add/remove programs) & then re-installed ToEE & Co8.
    Ever since, I've been unable to disable intro movies:

=====================
    Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click
    Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.
    If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

-----------------------

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()
    at System.IO.File.Move(String sourceFileName, String destFileName)
    at TempleFrontend.frmToEEFE.restore_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    TempleFrontend
    Assembly Version: 1.0.2789.35071
    Win32 Version: 1.0.2789.35071
    CodeBase: file:///G:/Games/ToEE/TempleFrontend.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.
    ============================

Presumably it's just a case of finding the old version of whatever file this is talking about (which I would guess add/remove DIDN'T remove:chairshot)
    Problem is, I don't know what the file is.
    I'm a reasonably savvy comp USER, but definitely not a programmer / professional / someone who really knows what I'm doing.

I should add that clicking continuie will allow the game to run, but I do get intro movies.
    Definitely not the end of the world, but a minor annoyance if the option is there to remove them.

9. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

OK, the real problem I am having is I cannot disable the Intro movies with Front-end.

"Unhandled exception.....Cannot create a file when that file already exists"

My computer is known for hating bink, especially in windowed mode. How do I manually disable the Intro movies?

10. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

No clue, my comp isn't Bink-friendly either. I used a standalone player Graer mentioned (I don't have the link off hand), and that showed the movies beautifully. ToEE gives me blackness and stuttering sound.

--thearoich

11. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

To disable the intro movies manually, simply rename them. That's what the FE does. From that error message it sounds like FE managed to rename them and leave the original names in there somehow. Look at your movies folder (Program Files/Atari/ToEE/Data/Movies is the standard path) and rename all the intro movies from [whatever].bik to [whatever].bik0 - if you already have the .bik0, just delete (or move) the .bik files. That should disable any movie you rename/move.

The following movies were renamed when FE disabled intros for me:
    AtariLogo
    introcinematic
    Legal
    TriokaLogo
    WotCLogo

Hope that helps.

12. Rodzaju

Rodzaju Member

Yep, both .bik & .bik0 were there.
    Problem solved.

I'm guessing that as the .bik0 isn't a file that ToEE itself creates, uninstalling the game didn't remove them, & therefore couldn't remove the folder as it wasn't empty.
    So the files were left behind.

When you uninstall Cof8, it seems that it does not undo the changes it made.
    I can't imagine why anyone would want to go from Cof8 to vanilla ToEE, but can this be implemented in case they do?

13. Gaear

Actually it does uninstall properly, but you have to deactivate the Co8 module first before you do it. A lot of people skip this step - and its inverse - during uninstallation/installation, which leads to these sorts of problems.

14. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Actually Gaear, I had done a clean install. Thanks erkper and all the others who help in general.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!