Death domain and neutral cleric

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by matmaisan, Aug 24, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

So, I recently created a neutral evil party, with a true neutral cleric of Wee Jas as party healer. She focuses positive energy (i.e. spontaneously casts heal spells, and turns undead, rather than rebuke them).

When she got to level 3, the domain spell for her -- death knell -- was not choseable. It appeared in a light gray color, and a floating text said that "You cannot memorize this spell due to alignment restrictions". Same holds for the (non-domain) spell desecrate.

AFAIK, a neutral cleric can cast evil spells, whereas a good cleric cannot (SRD3.5 says that "A cleric can’t cast spells of an alignment opposed to his own or his deity’s (if he has one)". Good is opposed to evil, but neutral isn't opposed to anything.

I don't recall anyone mentioning this problem before, so I'm wondering if this is a known issue, and if not, if there is any hope of correcting it.

2. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

Page 45 of the game manual mentions the reasoning behind this, but basically, once the choice is made b/t positive and negative you must stay with it.

3. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

As far as I know, deciding whether to channel positive and negative energy has no effect on whether one can cast spells with opposed alignment descriptors. It should determine only whether one can spontaneously cast cure or inflict spells, but should not affect other spells.

4. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Also, the PHB states that all LN clerics of Wee Jas channel negative energy; moreover, a cleric cannot be neutral unless his deity is also neutral (I never liked that rule). Thus, a Neutral Cleric of Wee Jas should not exist, nevermind being given a choice to channel positive energy.

I do apologize for not dealing with the original question at hand. Neutral clerics should be able to cast all alignment descriptors. That is part of the reason why there are so few true neutral clerics allowed.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  5. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Sure the rulebook for the game states that it's working as designed for wee jas.

6. Basil the Timid

Zeb, was that a question? If so, the Manual follows the PHB: No true neutral clerics of Wee Jas and LN ones must channel negative.

7. Tyrannar

Tyrannar Wanderer in the dark

Just create LE cleric of Wee Jas and problem solved.

8. Basil the Timid

NOT!!!! Matmaisan wants a spontaneous healer with full access to Death (and Magic) Domains. This can be achieved with neither ToEE nor simple PnP3.5.

Actually, I wonder if the console can help here. Try changing the clerics alignment to Neutral Evil (won't be able to cast good spells). I'm guessing that the cleric will still be able to spontaneously heal. But be mindful that you now have a cleric of Wee Jas with an order of extra cheese.

9. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

Thanks for all the replies. I tried consoling the character's alignment, to no avail. Even when she was LE, she continued spontaneously casting heal spells, and still didn't have access to evil spells.

Since Wee Jas is usually identified as a LN deity, I assumed that you could be a neutral servant of the goddess. Apparently, and as far as ToEE is concerned, I was wrong.

What I eventually did was create a new 1st level cleric with law and magic domains, drop my old one, and console in all the same stat, xp, hp, etc. It worked fine. I could also have tried to make a true neutral godless cleric with the death and law domains, and just pretend she was a follower of wee jas... dunno.

10. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

Ah... clerics wit no devotion do not exist in ToEE... well that's that... no problemo. I'm happy with a fireball hurling cleric too...

11. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

[Deleted in deference to Sitra's post below -- I thought something wasn't possible, but Sitra has presented a way I didn't try]

--thearioch

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  12. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Dear Sir...

as they say in my tongue, you are wrong and misleading.

game.party[xxx].obj_set_int(obj_f_critter_alignment_choice, 1) - will make the cleric spontaneously cast Cure spells and Turn Undead
    game.party[xxx].obj_set_int(obj_f_critter_alignment_choice, 2) - will make the cleric spontaneously cast Inflict spells and Rebuke Undead

Where xxx is the PC's index, starting from 0 for the leftmost portrait.

13. matmaisan

matmaisan Kobold lurker

So I could theoretically have an evil cleric spontaneously cast cure spells with that? Awesome! :) I won't do it because its cheating. But its kinda cool to know you can do it.

14. thearioch

thearioch Need More Cowbell

Thanks Sitra, where were you when we were discussing this a month or so ago :)

Anyway, I'm happy to be corrected in this case -- I'll definitely try this out when it comes up next. IIRC, I was trying to use syntax with "game_stat" in it (the same syntax used with changing deity).

I had found a list of game_stat attributes mentioning it (including stat_domain_1 and stat_domain_2).

While I have your attention, do you know how to change specialized and prohibited schools?

--thearioch

15. Basil the Timid

Is there a numeric listing of all the domains? Or just use alpha to numeric order, such as Air = 0, etc...).
    Yeah!!

Our Host!